Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the club too. Emergency not working. No service center within 1000km. I will stop by Mercedes dealership to buy the part. Thanks to all for the information posted.
Replying to my self. I am traveling internationally and customs wanted to look in the trunk. Third time in 15 crossings. After crossing I saw a junk yard and for less than $20 I put a used Mercedes part in. The motor does not operate, I have to push down to lock. But I can open the truck for now. Old motor measured 12 ohms. Ok for now.

I have refresh '22 MS. There is no emergency release for the rear liftgate like there was in the older, pre 2021 MS.

Anyone else notice this?
Interesting, the rear trunk emergency release isn't even shown in the user manual any more (2021+), it used to be there, and it's still there for the frunk!

I wonder how Tesla justifies not having an emergency release for the rear trunk. It's mandatory.

There may be possible exemptions if there is an automatic release that senses a human in the trunk. Or if the trunk is always entirely unpartitioned. Do either of these apply?

I don't know why Tesla considers they are exempt from what every other car has to have? Odd.

Interesting, the rear trunk emergency release isn't even shown in the user manual any more (2021+), it used to be there, and it's still there for the frunk!

I wonder how Tesla justifies not having an emergency release for the rear trunk. It's mandatory.

There may be possible exemptions if there is an automatic release that senses a human in the trunk. Or if the trunk is always entirely unpartitioned. Do either of these apply?

I don't know why Tesla considers they are exempt from what every other car has to have? Odd.
Because it is connected to the cabin.

My first post! This just happened on my new-to-me 2014 P85D. I used the ‘sneak-up’ method to get it open the next morning. Because this thread provides so many good tricks to get it opened, I tried a little lubrication instead. I put a couple a gentle drops of Kroil on the mechanism and it closed and opened 3x consecutively. I’m hopeful that many of these issues aren’t necessarily failed parts but rather stuck mechanisms. I’ll report back if it sticks again soon and if it does, I’ll replace it like many others have. Fingers crossed the lubricant will help!

My first post! This just happened on my new-to-me 2014 P85D. I used the ‘sneak-up’ method to get it open the next morning. Because this thread provides so many good tricks to get it opened, I tried a little lubrication instead. I put a couple a gentle drops of Kroil on the mechanism and it closed and opened 3x consecutively. I’m hopeful that many of these issues aren’t necessarily failed parts but rather stuck mechanisms. I’ll report back if it sticks again soon and if it does, I’ll replace it like many others have. Fingers crossed the lubricant will help!
Well... It has gotten stuck two more times. Fortunately, the sneak-up continues to work but it is pretty annoying to drive home with the trunk ajar. The last time I tried a little white lithium grease. I still feel like it is sticking/binding rather that the motor failing. If it keeps sticking, I will scroll up in this thread and remind myself what parts to buy.

Well... It has gotten stuck two more times. Fortunately, the sneak-up continues to work but it is pretty annoying to drive home with the trunk ajar. The last time I tried a little white lithium grease. I still feel like it is sticking/binding rather that the motor failing. If it keeps sticking, I will scroll up in this thread and remind myself what parts to buy.
The price for mobile service to do it was pretty reasonable. I bought the $80 part and did it myself, but by the time I was done I had wished I had paid Tesla to do it.

I order an replaced the parts. All good. But it dawn on me that to disconnect the motor all you have to do is to remove the cover with the button, reach inside and unplug the motor. That might allow some to open automatically but likely have to push it down after closing.

One more in the club!
But decided to find what's wrong with it!
Turns out there's a simple toy motor inside. Motor is moderately easy to take out and disassemble. Brushes inside made a mess and probably short the whole thing when it receives 12v. Cleaned everything with IPA. Gave it a very gentle brush with 1000 grit sandpaper both on the brushes and rotor contacts. Put one drop of oil to front and rear bearings(more like inserts). Got the motor assembled, but out of the case. Powered it with some wires to a 12v battery for about 30 sec or so (until RPM started to sound stable) in one direction and then the other.

After installation it did make a sound like it's having some trouble closing the tailgate, so decided to check the stoppers. Left was pushing very hard, right wasn't even making contact. Poor assembly/adjustment process in the factory I guess.

After adjusting the stoppers, motor now sounds as there's no load on it at all.

Will see how long this repair will last.
Sorry, wasn't in the mood for pics as my gate gave up very far from home.

Looks like Tesla still hasn't fixed this issue on the refreshed Model S. My 2022 just suffered the same failure. Thankfully the trunk still opens/closes, but the car alarm went off yesterday because it thought someone was trying to open the trunk while it was actually locked and closed.

Mobile Service coming tomorrow to replace the Trunk Cinch Actuator part 1003549-00-D