Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear view visability - smaller FOV camera option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resized and rotated.
1-INTBACK1.jpg

INTBACK2.jpeg

Makes me wonder if I should have configured the 6-seat version instead of the 7-seat. How will I see out that back window when it's already so small and the spoiler blocks part of it? I can't imagine how much that center headrest will block the view even more.

It's a shame the Model X isn't going to come with a video reverse camera like the Chevy Bolt or Cadillac XT5. Do you think it's possible to install an aftermarket Gentex Full Display Mirror or something similar?

It absolutely has a backup camera, switching to reverse will bring the backup camera view up in your 17" display and you can configure your display to ALWAYS show the reverse camera, which makes it way better than the ones I've seen in other cars.

What it doesn't have is putting the camera view in the rearview mirror.

It absolutely has a backup camera, switching to reverse will bring the backup camera view up in your 17" display and you can configure your display to ALWAYS show the reverse camera, which makes it way better than the ones I've seen in other cars.

Yes, but the backup camera is all but useless during actual driving--which was kind of the point of my original post! The FOV is too high for a mirror alternative.

Yes, but the backup camera is all but useless during actual driving--which was kind of the point of my original post! The FOV is too high for a mirror alternative.
At least for the Model S, I disagree it is all but useless while driving -- it is one of the most useful features. I have left the camera on for the nearly 3 years I've been driving my Model S and it is probably the highest value info that can be displayed on the 17inch screen. One of the features I miss most when I drive another car. Basically a forth mirror, and a great supplement to the traditional mirrors. Not really a replacement, but super helpful none the less. The wide angle lens doesn't give much detail far away, but it works out so that if a car is small in the camera, it is almost always safe to lane change, and if it is big it means the car is close and probably not safe/polite to lane change.

At least for the Model S, I disagree it is all but useless while driving -- it is one of the most useful features. I have left the camera on for the nearly 3 years I've been driving my Model S and it is probably the highest value info that can be displayed on the 17inch screen. One of the features I miss most when I drive another car. Basically a forth mirror, and a great supplement to the traditional mirrors. Not really a replacement, but super helpful none the less. The wide angle lens doesn't give much detail far away, but it works out so that if a car is small in the camera, it is almost always safe to lane change, and if it is big it means the car is close and probably not safe/polite to lane change.

I would agree with you that as a 'fourth mirror' it is useful for lane changes... but as a rear view mirror alternative I still say it is terrible. At about 50 feet behind the car you can hardly tell what is there--on the mirror you can easily see cars 300 yards back or more. The issue is the visibility on the X, which is why I'm asking Tesla for a narrow FOV option to switch to on the camera.

I would agree with you that as a 'fourth mirror' it is useful for lane changes... but as a rear view mirror alternative I still say it is terrible. At about 50 feet behind the car you can hardly tell what is there--on the mirror you can easily see cars 300 yards back or more. The issue is the visibility on the X, which is why I'm asking Tesla for a narrow FOV option to switch to on the camera.
Some people scare me as they claim they never need a mirror that sees this far back. Seems like they only use mirrors to make lane changes. I want to know what's sneaking or racing up behind me. Especially those people who are snaking all over the road.

I am constantly looking in all three mirrors and out the front for situational awareness and safety.