Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reason why no Apple Carplay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In what way? They show how much slower people respond while texting and they show how much slower than that they respond while using CarPlay. Did you read the study?

https://iamwebsite.blob.core.window...ibrary/infotainmentsudy.pdf?sfvrsn=f4c6755c_6

Please elaborate... (use links)

I can give you one really big way, it doesn't mention the Tesla UI at all. I can guarantee it is WAY up there on this list when it comes to distractions. Be honest, tell me you have never been distracted by anything on the Tesla UI while driving. If you say no, I'll call you a liar. ;-)

Thanks for sharing. Interesting study. The crux of it, however, is that using touch screen is more dangerous than voice based interaction. I hope Tesla continues to improve their voice based interaction. The recent voice enhancements for incoming text notifications, reading text, controlling seat heaters are all steps in the right direction.

Today's CarPlay is superior to today's Tesla for voice based interaction. For example, with CarPlay, one can do an entire text conversation using only voice. Tesla requires screen interaction to reply. Another example is the CarPlay's versatility in taking voice commands for navigation destination.

I also like CarPlay's navigation display quite a bit more than Tesla's native navigation because CarPlay map display is clutter-free, uses big fonts, displays traffic lights, and offers several subtle usability improvements that lowers the time I have to stare at the screen while driving.

I think allowing CarPlay or Android Auto to run in a Tesla window would be appreciated by a sizable percentage of Tesla owners. This topic has been beaten to death over the years (including a failed change.org petition for Tesla to consider this), and Tesla hasn't budged. I wish it did.

They believe common R/T is 1.0 seconds unimpaired. Must be GOOD weed.

The only explanation I could offer is the test pool was cronic dope smokers who text all the time everywhere they go who have no experience with 2019+ CarPlay or Android Auto. They think a "head's up display" is what you should do when a cop pulls next to you while you are texting and staring at your lap. How can you have acceptable R/T when you can't even see the road? Neither AA or CP requires you take your eyes of the road anymore. Not even to read and reply to texts. Why aren't they testing it that way?

My previous vehicle was a Hyundai Ioniq PHEV that had CarPlay. I rarely used it because I don’t usually take my phone out of my pocket (to plug in) and the Ioniq software was pretty decent. If i need to reply to a text I use siri over Bluetooth.

Just going through the process of selling my 17 GTI for my upcoming SR+ (due in may), and one of the things that I was "regretting" was that I was going to give up carplay. VWs implementation of carplay is pretty good, and I use it for maps all the time along with podcasts/amazon music and audible.

Concerns were mostly eliminated though when I took the SR+ for a test drive. If any of the rumors / spyshots are correct with V11 (amazon,audible,etc...) native integration, I'll be a happy camper.