Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons you might cancel your MX reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of a silly post, someone without a reservation asking reservation holders why they might cancel. As a cynic I am suspicious of short sellers trying to sow doubt in company. But as holder of MX production reservation #6XX am interested in discussions of 22 inch wheels and performance option since expect to get configuration in next few months. What other production vehicles have such large tires? They do look good. Wonder what difference in price and range and acceleration the non performance has? And in answer to the post I do not plan to cancel and as with my Sig Model S plan to pay for and receive the vehicle without seeing it in person or of course driving it. But with almost 33,000 miles on the MS it seems to get better over time so have faith in the company and its products. Even though they are too secretive for my preference.

I reckon the title may be interpreted as negative or malicious, a better one would be "Why the **ck (as for heck:cool:) would you even consider cancelling your MX reservation??". Can I change it myself or it must be changed by an administrator/moderator?

I just wanted to know which are the main deal breakers. Damn, even Bjorn is still skeptical on the looks and he loves Tesla, it's not the end of the world. We are so spoiled with the sexy MS that we were sold before even driving it, the test drive just closed the deal. Having said that, I'm more than sure that test drives will be the key deal maker and that for every cancellation, there'll be hundreds of reservations.

If it is the same aspect ratio as the Model S 21s, they're going to see even more repairs on those 22s coming in! Btw, I do think a nice, big, aggressive front end and LED headlights will go a long way towards the overall look.

For me, it's the same as it's always been: if the falcon wing door functionality proves to be limiting rather than liberating. It's starting to look like those doors might not be able to open in my relatively ordinary garage.
I believe this is where the door's proximity sensor comes into play. I believe the Falcon Wing doors will open as high/wide as they can given the available space and this should still be enough room for your rear passengers to get into and out of the car, though they may have to duck their heads a bit. To me, this seems more likely than some magic way to fold these stylish 2nd row seats flat. There have been a lot of people worrying about garage height requirements with the Falcon Wing doors and I think this would be one of the things they would have solved via a FW door that can open partially when necessary.

I believe this is where the door's proximity sensor comes into play. I believe the Falcon Wing doors will open as high/wide as they can given the available space and this should still be enough room for your rear passengers to get into and out of the car, though they may have to duck their heads a bit.

I agree that they won't hit. The ducking is an annoyance, if it exists. The concern I have is that the lower the doors stop, the wider they will reach. If they already protrude more than a foot on each side from the mirror, this is a concern.

Looking forward to the 29th, and hopefully some real measurements.

They'll be wider while stopped midway but not wider than the span they would normally reach through the range of travel. So if they aren't hitting anything when in motion, they won't be hitting it when stopped. Probably not what you were meaning but just to clarify. Thanks for the swag at the dimensions...helpful.

Am I the only one who thinks it is pretty strange that there hasn't been an official unveiling of the Model X as of yet?
It seems as if people are expected to finalise orders and lay down $140k for a car they haven't seen in the flesh, sat in, test driven, etc.
One would think they should have done an official unveiling early September and had a demo Model X in each of their flagship stores across the U.S. and at their other major stores around the world by now. This would help to encourage more reservations as well.
I for one wouldn't put down a deposit, let alone final payment, on a car I couldn't see/touch in the flesh.
Are signature reservation holders finalising payments based on pictures alone???
I have faith Tesla will produce a great vehicle but where is the official unveiling of the production vehicle already?

Apparently Elon has said (per several posts on here) that it will not be unveiled until the first ones are delivered to the customers - so 9/29. I wish they would do it earlier but if you did a regular $5k production car deposit, it's fully refundable if you aren't happy when they take the covers off.

I agree that they won't hit. The ducking is an annoyance, if it exists. The concern I have is that the lower the doors stop, the wider they will reach. If they already protrude more than a foot on each side from the mirror, this is a concern.

Looking forward to the 29th, and hopefully some real measurements.

If the Model X doors couldn't open in the space width-wise, then I don't think regular car doors would have opened at all. (Or in other words, the Model X would be the only car of that size that could fit in that same space).

If the Model X doors couldn't open in the space width-wise, then I don't think regular car doors would have opened at all. (Or in other words, the Model X would be the only car of that size that could fit in that same space).
Except for the fact that they would occupy different spaces. I have stuff hanging in my garage (bikes mostly) that you can walk under but the doors will most assuredly hit when up.

Except for the fact that they would occupy different spaces. I have stuff hanging in my garage (bikes mostly) that you can walk under but the doors will most assuredly hit when up.

There is this, and I am unsure that the idea that they will have the same width-clearance regardless of obstruction is true. If it is, the articulation at the door/roof hinge is fixed to a certain program, and that's not how I've expected it to work.

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean without the animation, but I'll give it a shot with some stills. You have to think about the idea that the roof section tops out on its way up. Let's say it reaches this point:

top1.png

And the vertical clearance parameter is met. At this point, my expectation is that the wings will open further at the articulation point, which would cause a wider spread than the optimal movement. My lame effort at that here:

top1 widened.png

Please excuse the gaseous explosions coming from under the wings. These are the noises of falcons crying.

Regardless, this is wider than the max width, which is normally reached here:

fullopen.png

And you can imagine how much wider it would be if the clearance was lower, such as this:

startopen.png

I could be wrong, and the doors likely have a limit on the articulation point. However, this should show that the smaller the vertical clearance, the greater the horizontal clearance. That's what I was getting at.

I thought I saw somewhere that they are double-hinged or something so that they don't stick out wider when opening them up.

I guess it is slightly wider when opening but it reaches the maximum width when the bottom of the door is at the same height as the bottom of the windshield, at least according to that animation. Who knows how accurate that old animation is anyways. It still has the old cameras instead of side mirrors.

I guess we'll know for sure in 20 days.

Last edited:
I don't know what double hinged would do, but obviously there's a limit to how two planes interact. In my case, I think I'm giving the doors the benefit of the doubt in my edit; that is, I find it very unlikely that they articulate outward greater than the "resting" angle when closed. In my view, they are a bit more than that. I was trying to give more head clearance for passengers exiting through the cloud of falcon dust.

I don't know what double hinged would do, but obviously there's a limit to how two planes interact. In my case, I think I'm giving the doors the benefit of the doubt in my edit; that is, I find it very unlikely that they articulate outward greater than the "resting" angle when closed. In my view, they are a bit more than that. I was trying to give more head clearance for passengers exiting through the cloud of falcon dust.
Do the Sigs come with Falcon dust?

in all seriousness...great pic of what you are trying to explain and I get it. I am going to take some measurements of my own garage height. Wonder what TM used as their standard.

The only reason I would cancel is if there isn't some way to get the second row substantially out of the way of carrying long stuff like I can in my Prius v:

720829dd9e2ad8ff7b8c7aa8da2cf202.jpg
345ecbb12bf68e48658e026147809475.jpg

While also being able to haul more suitcases, etc. more conveniently than I can in the Prius v. Most notably, in the Prius, to achieve what you see in the images above I have to slide the front passenger seat so far forward even my very short wife is uncomfortable, so the pictures above allow for only one human occupant in the vehicle (me) and I want room for two and their stuff.

Peter+

Peter+

Except the front doors still open in the traditional style. What boggles my mind is that people think one of the "advantages" of the falcon door is that you can open it in narrower spaces. That's totally irrelevant because the you're still limited by how wide the front door opens.

Except the front doors still open in the traditional style. What boggles my mind is that people think one of the "advantages" of the falcon door is that you can open it in narrower spaces. That's totally irrelevant because the you're still limited by how wide the front door opens.

Definitely. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I rarely park my MS in tight spaces. I'll walk further.

I do think the one potential benefit to those doors, which is the same benefit that van sliders have, is this: If you have kids between, say, 5 and 8, you don't have to worry about them swinging the door into a neighboring vehicle. The alternative is to do what I've done, and what's been done for ages - teach them not to do it.

You know, I was thinking about that myself. Could be people heard or saw the doors and assumed all doors opened that way. I know when I've talked to a few people at work about it, knew about the doors but did not know it was only the rear doors.
The biggest advantage IMO is the ability to get things (i.e. car seats, etc) in and out of the back seat without stooping over. Could be people heard or saw the doors and assumed all doors opened that way.