Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons you might cancel your MX reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, but I rarely park my MS in tight spaces. I'll walk further.

I do think the one potential benefit to those doors, which is the same benefit that van sliders have, is this: If you have kids between, say, 5 and 8, you don't have to worry about them swinging the door into a neighboring vehicle. The alternative is to do what I've done, and what's been done for ages - teach them not to do it.

I wonder when a car company will apply the door sensors to regular doors (non-falcon wing doors) which would prevent people from flinging their doors open and hitting whatever they are parked next to. If we can have it for vertically opening doors, it seems like it would be a great idea for ones which open horizontally as well.

Last edited:
Except the front doors still open in the traditional style. What boggles my mind is that people think one of the "advantages" of the falcon door is that you can open it in narrower spaces. That's totally irrelevant because the you're still limited by how wide the front door opens.

Your statement is pretty much echoing what I'm saying. If the Falcon doors can't open, then you most assuredly can't use the doors of any normal car (i.e., the front doors) so it's a moot point. If the falcon doors can't open width-wise, your garage will never fit any similarly-sized car.

Your statement is pretty much echoing what I'm saying. If the Falcon doors can't open, then you most assuredly can't use the doors of any normal car (i.e., the front doors) so it's a moot point. If the falcon doors can't open width-wise, your garage will never fit any similarly-sized car.
Agreed. Right now I'm buying the car in spite of the doors. Hoping they'll be great when fastening kids in their seats :)

We will have to agree to disagree. If I can slightly open the door to my MS, I can slide out. It doesn't need to be wide open in order to exit. This is not the case with the MX, unless I'm willing to roll on the ground.

The difference between what hpham007 and you are saying has to do with overhead clearance. In a garage, the limited overhead clearance affects the ability of the falcon wings to open more than a crack unless they have ample horizontal clearance to allow passengers to duck under. Otherwise, you have to lay horizontally and roll out. :eek: In the open, they can slide up and out, but you still have to crack your door open.

Last edited:
Except the front doors still open in the traditional style. What boggles my mind is that people think one of the "advantages" of the falcon door is that you can open it in narrower spaces. That's totally irrelevant because the you're still limited by how wide the front door opens.

I'm not a big fan of falcon doors however I think they will facilitate better access in tight (but tall) places.

If you can open front door by a foot and few inches you can, just barely, slide in/out while falcon door will fully open enabling unimpeded access to the rear. Also, if existed, second row doors would likely extend beyond second row seating (for access to third row) making access in tight spots ever more difficult, therefore some other door solution is needed. Be it falcon doors or...sliding doors.

Overall I think sliding doors would be the best (falcon doors will have too much tech over their benefit) but falcon doors do have their merits.

To summarize, if you park in public places, where one cannot control how closely other drivers park, or your garage is narrow, that's where falcon doors will come handy.

I've been thinking about this and a few things come to mind as I have two reservations, one sig and one production.

I don't mind that delivery is later as I drive and love my S, but I do mind if the actual production car is not "better" than the alpha.

Since it has been shown with side view cameras, I'm expecting that as well as 2nd row fold flat seats and better Autopilot as has been stated by Elon. This is given. Will it cause me to cancel? Not for just one, but maybe 2 of those 3 yes.

But I do have other wants and needs that other cars in its class have.

1. Ventilated front seats (aka Cooled) - This is a Need for me, but looks to be available
2. Rear view camera (aka no rear view mirror on windshield) - This is a very strong want as its removal would be very elegant aesthetically and functionally as there are so many wonderful things you can do with a rear facing camera and some computer vision ;)
3. 10K towing and "smart tow" - Not a huge need, but 10K since it was stated publically already I'm expecting it. "Smart tow" would something along the lines of being able for the drivetrain to know how much weight it is towing or allowing the weight to be entered directly so that range can be calculated accordingly.
4. Extra ground clearance - Strong want as I do want to take it on some easy 4x4 roads. I'm not expecting Land Rover or Rubicon 10.5" clearance, but would hope for something more than S
5. There's a bunch of lesser superfluous items like better ambient lighting, rear USB 2.1AMP charging, trunk tie downs that would be great, but I could live without.

But my hope is that the car will be amazing and my gut will tell me when is the right time to pull the trigger. It is hard for me to say until I see the full list of available features before making that decision but that is my current thinking...