Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons you might cancel your MX reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a Signature in the high 80's and got my invitation to configure recently.

It's time to make my decision to buy or to pass.

I originally put down the X Signature Deposit for the AWD, but now I have that with my P85D. The P85D gives me everything I want in acceleration and winter traction. With my youngest out of college and in his mid 20's, the Model S is a too big for me, and the X would be way too big. For towing my few light trailers, my "real" SUV's do great. I have need of "real" SUV's for off-road, almost tractor applications in both Boulder and Pagosa, which the Model X as a CUV will never be able to do. The Toyota FJ in Boulder and the Jeep Cherokee in Pagosa as real SUV's do great at that. The 2" receiver hitch in the back of the X is interesting, but I can't imagine mounting a Pintle Hook/2" ball hitch to the front bumper of the X like my SUV's have, and need, for my tasks.

Bottom line for me on why I am not getting the X is that it is too big and is not a "real" SUV. If it were a "real" SUV, and not just a puffed up Model S, I might be interested. Here is my Cherokee doing some real SUV stuff. Notice the winch that has helped several people out of tough spots and the pintle hitch on the front bumper that I use to move airplanes on winter ramps.

Jeep.JPG

I'm going to sleep on it a few days, but I'm strongly leaning towards the pass choice. I guess this will let everyone else move up a notch...

Last edited:
I originally put down the X Signature Deposit for the AWD, but now I have that with my P85D. The P85D gives me everything I want in acceleration and winter traction. With my youngest out of college and in his mid 20's, the Model S is a too big for me, and the X would be way too big. For towing my few light trailers, my "real" SUV's do great.

I'm going to sleep on it a few days, but I'm strongly leaning towards the pass choice. I guess this will let everyone else move up a notch...

Cottonwood, I don't envy your decision but will find myself in it before long. I think you've outlined solid reasons why it may not be the best choice for you, and I am guessing you won't be alone. Good luck and move along being happy with the choice, whichever it is. Also, remember that you can always order one in 6 months if you change your mind. It won't be a Sig, but you can probably pick and choose features a little more specifically anyway.

Can you really tell me this profile is appealing?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441842261.778414.jpg

Would I pay $110+k for it? I just might love Tesla enough to do so because I truly believe it will be the best CUV, but I would certainly be sacrificing esthetics...

Sub: I have talked to the NASales people twice already about the second row seats. They will not fold flat. I asked if I waited for a Production X if there would be a second seat option that would fold flat: answer 'No'. Now, EM appears to love to surprise people and show things at the reveal that may make us go 'wow'....However, with some of the dissention in the Sig ranks about the second row seats not folding I can't believe that he has either lied to his sales force or instructed them to lie to Sig holders.

Good to know, but I hold to what i'm saying that there will be a 2nd row folding seat option. I have no evidence of this, just speculation. Feel free to quote me if I'm proven wrong, I'll do my best to take it like a man.

Put the 22" wheels on it and I think you might change your mind. Right now it looks like its built on a roller skate.

Agreed:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441845120.599504.jpg

Like many new designs, it will take getting used to and likely will look better IRL. I also understand that they were working within the constraints of achieving the best aerodynamics. I would love to have my mind changed!

Agreed:
View attachment 93633

Like many new designs, it will take getting used to and likely will look better IRL. I also understand that they were working within the constraints of achieving the best aerodynamics. I would love to have my mind changed!
I never know how to judge the sexyness of an SUV/CUV. What would you consider to be a good looking car in the same category as the X?

View attachment 93632

Would I pay $110+k for it? I just might love Tesla enough to do so because I truly believe it will be the best CUV, but I would certainly be sacrificing esthetics...

It's an SUV, and its shape is determined by a combination of interior utility and exterior aerodynamic requirements. What did you expect?

If you want appealing, Tesla already has a Model S that you can buy.

Agreed:
View attachment 93633

Do you think those are 22"? They look good but damn I really don't want 22" rims. The ride is generally worse and they cost a mint on their own. What a difference it makes in appearance though.

Rs

Do you think those are 22"? They look good but damn I really don't want 22" rims. The ride is generally worse and they cost a mint on their own. What a difference it makes in appearance though.
Kind of a silly post, someone without a reservation asking reservation holders why they might cancel. As a cynic I am suspicious of short sellers trying to sow doubt in company. But as holder of MX production reservation #6XX am interested in discussions of 22 inch wheels and performance option since expect to get configuration in next few months. What other production vehicles have such large tires? They do look good. Wonder what difference in price and range and acceleration the non performance has? And in answer to the post I do not plan to cancel and as with my Sig Model S plan to pay for and receive the vehicle without seeing it in person or of course driving it. But with almost 33,000 miles on the MS it seems to get better over time so have faith in the company and its products. Even though they are too secretive for my preference.

It's an SUV, and its shape is determined by a combination of interior utility and exterior aerodynamic requirements. What did you expect?

If you want appealing, Tesla already has a Model S that you can buy.

Lol, I've bought three.

See my post above; I agree re: aero constraints. They're all stylized Prius shapes, no? Thus, I'm continuously amazed at the amazing job they've done with the Model S body, although a sedan is much easier to design.

There's a dichotomy in SUV/CUV design that's become apparent. It started out with the X5 vs X6, now MB ML/GL vs new GLE, Acura MDX vs ZDX, etc. For my tastes, it's easier to look at the former. And certainly for $120k loaded, you shouldn't have to be convinced to like the looks (or depend on a massive wheel option), you should be swept away like many have been with the Model S. So yes, I do want my CUV to be appealing, not just my Model S, for that money.

Again, I'm sure it will be the best CUV out there with no real competitor and I love the interior. I just don't want to "beer goggle" this exterior design too much.

Last edited:
the loonie is tanking , as oil goes so does our dollar. this would be the biggest reason I could cancel, economics. it was already going to be a stretch to shell out six figures for a car, but adding 33% the elastic breaks. Will have to wait and see what Canadian pricing looks like before making a decision.

assume add 8K ish to the current MS price? Elon said 5 grand more USD than the MS

Lol, I've bought three.

See my post above; I agree re: aero constraints. They're all stylized Prius shapes, no? Thus, I'm continuously amazed at the amazing job they've done with the Model S body, although a sedan is much easier to design.

There's a dichotomy in SUV/CUV design that's become apparent. It started out with the X5 vs X6, now MB ML/GL vs new GLE, Acura MDX vs ZDX, etc. For my tastes, it's easier to look at the former. And certainly for $120k loaded, you shouldn't have to be convinced to like the looks (or depend on a massive wheel option), you should be swept away like many have been with the Model S. So yes, I do want my CUV to be appealing, not just my Model S, for that money.

Again, I'm sure it will be the best CUV out there with no real competitor and I love the interior. I just don't want to "beer goggle" this exterior design too much.

"Prius shape" means aerodynamic. The Prius is one of the most aerodynamic cars on the market, right behind the Model S.

While I think SUV/CUV in general looks ugly, Tesla did extremely well with the constraints to work with: interior utility, aerodynamics, and SUV/CUV platform.

Rivals have a bit more to work for because they can also make their vehicles eat 12 mpg and their consumer base will be fine with it, meanwhile the Tesla will be getting 8x that energy efficiency in terms of fuel costs.

a flat floor would be handy for various reasons. Would love to use the X as a "camper van" but if we cant sleep in it? crap...

I cant help thinking there must be a solution of some kind to open up the back of this thing. If it does not it will be a serious WHAT THE FRUNK were they thinking?

it would not be a deal breaker though, still REALLY am into the Tesla vibe and cant imagine not getting the X after all the obsession I have built up and into it?

View attachment 93632

I'm slightly concerned about the looks. But can you give an example of an SUV that looks decidedly better? None looks as classic as the MS. If you compare this to minivans, I think it looks pretty good. In fact, I think most of the SUVs out there are pretty ugly. The final version of this might in fact be the prettiest of the bunch.