Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebooted MCU Display Not Responding $1948 Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I got the following message from Tesla

Good Morning,
Our technicians have been working on trying to restore your MCU and are continuing to do so. With this being said if we are able to restore the MCU, there will be a diagnosis charge of $195/hr general diagnosis plus the software repair if this is successful. Please confirm you have received this message and approve.

I called them and they said they will likely be bale to restore the MCU if I pay $195 plus $9 for a software upgrade. I agreed and they wrote later:

We have corrected the steering wheel issue as well as got the MCU back up and running. The vehicle will be ready for pick up tonight.

Good new! They went from pay us $1984 to replace your screen to its you MCU MCU1 to $200 and come and get it. They recommended I look into replacing MCU in the near future.

Question, would this be covered if I bought an extended warranty now? It does say on the receipt that car now works as intended after the repairs. Not sure if that effects the warranty.
Cheers,

Guy

This is just speculation. But, That little software fix they did was likely just swapping the active partition/staging a new update which can get things going temporarily. But if your emmc chip has never been replaced and it's 4+ years old, showing signs of failure then your running on borrowed time anyway.

Drives fail in your computers, that's life. You wouldn't pay a shop to reinstall Windows on a failing drive, would you?

Reactions: Barry
I'd personally sell the car before warranty ran out.

tesla is 100% at fault for their poor design on flash-writes (and logging). seriously unfair to ask a customer to pay for their amateur design (yes, I'm calling them on this, any unix person should know better - no excuse for wearing out flash like that).

warranty or not, they should have covered it.

I like a lot about tesla, but on this issue, I'm a tesla hater. I write firmware and I've been down this path. I might have made this mistake fresh out of college, but tesla should have real seasoned pros do code and architecture reviews.

blaming the customer is worse than lame.

(waiting for fanboys and apologists to come to st. elon's rescue...)

tesla is 100% at fault for their poor design on flash-writes (and logging). seriously unfair to ask a customer to pay for their amateur design (yes, I'm calling them on this, any unix person should know better - no excuse for wearing out flash like that).
But have they fixed it or at least reduced the clobbering of the flash chip? So even if it had a hard life up to now if they've stopped the excessive logging like they should have maybe it'll give these things a bit more life before forced replacement is needed.