Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received AP 2 upgrade email Saturday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is one part of that email from Tesla that I don't understand, quote:

"If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features."

The way I would interpret that statement is that if you don't select the two new options you would receive your car with the first version of Autopilot.

Which could mean one of two things:

1 - Your car would have the AP V1 hardware and software

2 - Your car would have the AP V2 hardware but the AP V1 software

I wonder which one you would get IF you had not decided to pay more for Enhanced AP?

I think the email made that very clear, you get AP V2 hardware with the AP V1 feature set. (One part of the email said "If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge."

i.e. It costs you $2,000 to go to EAP now, or $3,000 after delivery.

Well you won't get test articles about the AP 2.0 portion of the car until December, at the earliest, since the hardware will be there doing nothing for you.

As far as when people will get one, probably any day now. (Some are listed in available as inventory cars.)

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
After thinking about it this weekend, I have decided for now to go with only Enhanced AP and wait to see how FSDC develops.

If Tesla doesn't actually deliver that level of auto pilot (FSDC option = L5) until AP 3.0 then some lawyer will probably be filing a class action lawsuit for $3,000 refunds for all AP 2.0 owners that paid for FSDC.

Just my opinion. I think it is foolish for Tesla to be accepting $3,000 payments right now for a feature (AP L5) that might not be approved by regulators and might be 2018 or 2019 or not even possible until AP 3.0. People are not just going to forget about that $3,000 and forgive Tesla for not delivering.

There is even a promise of a Tesla Network that will make you revenue on your AP 2 car.
It seems sort of crazy at this stage to be selling that in the $3,000 FSDC option.

I think the email made that very clear, you get AP V2 hardware with the AP V1 feature set. (One part of the email said "If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge."

i.e. It costs you $2,000 to go to EAP now, or $3,000 after delivery.
Can they run AP1 software on the AP2 CPU and with AP2 sensors?

I'd think the choices for those in process;
1) AP1
2) AP2 hardware with no current functionality but upgraded to equiv of AP1 as capability becomes available
3) EAS when available
4) FSDC when available

Can they run AP1 software on the AP2 CPU and with AP2 sensors?

Probably not, but they can limit the AP2 software to the AP1 feature set.

From what we can tell there are 6 combinations available:
  • Hardware version 1 with AP Convenience features disabled (but can be enabled at any time.)
  • Hardware version 1 with AP Convenience features active
  • Hardware version 2 with only AP Safety Features active (but upgradable at any time to Enhanced AP ($6k), or Enhanced AP & Full autonomy($10k)).
  • Hardware version 2 with AP Convenience features (Only for people that ordered before the reveal and paid for AP1 but will get AP2 hardware, you can pay the difference to upgrade to Enhanced AP or Enhanced AP & Full autonomy.)
  • Hardware version 2 with Enhanced AP
  • Hardware version 2 with Enhanced AP & Full autonomy.

From everything that I've read, all the cars being produced now have the full AP2 hardware. So you cannot buy a new car with AP1 hardware. And the full autonomy option, while it talks about upgrading the car from 4 to 8 cameras on the Tesla website, is actually just a software enabled feature too. Anyone seen anything that says otherwise?

From everything that I've read, all the cars being produced now have the full AP2 hardware. So you cannot buy a new car with AP1 hardware. And the full autonomy option, while it talks about upgrading the car from 4 to 8 cameras on the Tesla website, is actually just a software enabled feature too. Anyone seen anything that says otherwise?

This is also what I understood from Tesla's website, they should rephrase is to say that the vehicle comes with the Full 8 cameras but to unlock you need to choose FSDC option