Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received AP 2 upgrade email Saturday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My options confirmed on October 15th.
I just got the email this morning for the AP 2 link to change my options before December delivery.

I went ahead and selected FSDC.
If Tesla doesn't deliver on the full AP options as written, I will get the $3,000 refund later.
Tesla has always been great about that stuff.

This will be my 3rd Tesla (formerly had a Roadster and now 2013 Model S) and I have a Model 3 also reserved for my son.

Took a screenshot of everything they have on the website now promised in FSDC.

We recently announced that all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including your car, have the new hardware needed for Enhanced Autopilot and ultimately Full Self-Driving capability, at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. With this new hardware come two options not previously available: Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving. These options are available for upgrade now and take the Tesla driving experience to a new level. Now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your configuration so you can enjoy Enhanced Autopilot features such as automatic lane change, on-ramp to off-ramp navigation, advanced Autosteer and Summon as they roll out.

Simply click the upgrade button below to review and make these enhancements to your current configuration prior to taking delivery, and take advantage of our pre-delivery pricing.

If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge.

Thank you for your support and we’re excited for your upcoming delivery.

Last edited:
Once you clicked the upgrade button what details did they give you? Any new information?

Did it actually say they would refund the $3,000 if they didn't get to FSDC? (Is there a deadline?) For example what if you get a 2-year lease and they deliver FSDC 2.5 years after you buy the car? You didn't get any use of FSDC but they did deliver it. Do you get any refund?

It said exactly the same thing the design studio says now. It just allowed you to upgrade to the new options and told you how much more it would be.

Thanks. I was hoping that they would make a very clear, and simple, list of what improvements you get from AP Convenience Features to Enhanced AP, like:
  • Smart Summon
  • Self-park when near a parking spot
  • Autosteer+
  • Automatic lane change
  • On-ramp to off-ramp navigation
  • Transition from one freeway to another
  • Match speed to traffic conditions (Not sure if this is just TACC or enhanced to account for weather/construction/etc.)
So that you know exactly what you get for your extra money.

Seems unlikely Tesla will offer a $3K guarantee on the self driving, especially since fully autonomous driving requires approvals outside of Tesla's control.

Worst case, the software will achieve or get very close to self driving, but require human oversight - which is still a significant improvement for a "driver assist" feature and probably worth the extra $3K.

I want to double check with you at where did you see that the $3000 will be refunded later? Also if you are taking a finance on the car, you will be paying interest until you getting it refunded.

Because I know how Tesla rolls. If they promise something, but then it gets massively delayed, they will provide a refund if requested.

Example, back when I had a Roadster, the car came with the soft cloth T top.
I ordered the carbon fiber top for the Roadster. It was a $5,000 option. But it was taking forever for the carbon fiber T tops to get made.

After about a year of waiting after delivery of the car, I just asked for a refund of my $5,000.
Tesla provided it quickly. It was no big deal.

If Tesla cannot deliver on the fully automated driving and AP 2 ends up being on Enhanced AP, then I have no doubt at all that they will provide me with a $3,000 refund or a $3,000 credit towards a future purchase.

This is my 3rd Tesla and there will be more in the future.
Tesla is not going to argue over $3,000 if they cannot deliver on the full promises made in AP 2.

Last edited:
Seems unlikely Tesla will offer a $3K guarantee on the self driving, especially since fully autonomous driving requires approvals outside of Tesla's control.

Worst case, the software will achieve or get very close to self driving, but require human oversight - which is still a significant improvement for a "driver assist" feature and probably worth the extra $3K.

We still have consumer protection laws in the USA.
Tesla cannot sell a set of features for $3,000 and then not deliver.

If it is blocked on regulatory grounds, then Tesla will owe us a refund. It is a $3,000 option they never should have offered.

For example, Tesla has promised a Tesla network where we can make money with our FSDC $3,000 option.
They have promised basically L5 auto pilot with this FSDC $3,000 option.

If they don't deliver on that, then I have no doubt at all that I will be able to downgrade the software in my Tesla to Enhanced AP and get my $3,000 returned to me.

Tesla is not going to destroy their customer relationships by arguing over $3,000 related to an option that they fail to deliver on.
That is just not how they operate. See my post above related to the Roadster carbon fiber T top $5,000 option.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mo City and EinSV
Was there a change fee? did they charge you extra for the APE or did you just pay for FSDC?

There was no change fee. Cost was the price difference for the additional options (so $5000 for EAP less whatever you were going to pay for AP 1.0 which was $2000 more in my case) and $3000 for FSDC. I paid a total of $5000 more for both options.

There is one part of that email from Tesla that I don't understand, quote:

"If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features."

The way I would interpret that statement is that if you don't select the two new options you would receive your car with the first version of Autopilot.

Which could mean one of two things:

1 - Your car would have the AP V1 hardware and software

2 - Your car would have the AP V2 hardware but the AP V1 software

I wonder which one you would get IF you had not decided to pay more for Enhanced AP?