Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received Red California HOV Stickers for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The method of identification (red decals at specific location on vehicle is determined by the CHP & Fed DOT) From CA Veh code:

I rest my case.

What I don't get is why issue this interim red decal. Both red and white expire Jan 1 2019. Plus red decals only began issuing on Mar 1. So, they're only good for 10 months max.

In theory the red ones are going to be extended.

Incidentally, the Feds (DOT) can nullify this whole single-occupant HOV lane access by state-issued decals at any time. Can't imagine the Feds doing something so petty and punitive to CA though. :rolleyes:

…which is why I just did this, so I can easily remove them when they're no longer useful:

gMKM7Ow.jpg

gOkeNdm.jpg

0QMQ2Dc.jpg

zcrKR1J.jpg

Reactions: GenSao and liuping
I'm waiting for AWD before ordering my car. Would love to see the red stickers on different colored Model 3s, so please post your photos.

I suppose they could have gone uglier, with like orange, so guess we could be thankful for that. I'm not a fan of red stickers though.

Last edited:
In theory the red ones are going to be extended.
Doesn't seem so. Or at least we're required to get a new set:
(B) A decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) on or after January 1, 2019, for a vehicle that had been issued a decal, label, or other identifier pursuant to paragraph (1) or (3) between January 1, 2017, and January 1, 2019, is valid until January 1, 2022.
So, it seems my 2017 X with white decals and 2018 Model 3 with red decals both have to be re-issued decals in 2019. But both should be valid then until 2022. So why not just continue with white since both the 2018 red and 2017 white will need to be re-issued?
I suspect the 2019 re-issue is to expire the older vehicles with white stickers (2004 & earlier). Seems like they could accomplish the same thing without the red decals this year. (oh well, back to MM; go Zags.. Michigan State-- WTH?).

Last edited:
My guess is that they will make you re apply to have your red stickers renewed in 2019. Their goal is really is to distinguish /phase out white/green stickers. So likely scenario you’ll have to re apply to get the paperwork associated with having your stickers valid until 2023 but still keep the red stickers. Ultimately this just helps them raise more revenue.

One suggestion: if it’s worth spending a bit of money to you to be able to remove the stickers cleanly if/when the program expires, you could have a detailer cut pieces of PPF to match the stickers and then put the stickers on, so that they’re on more easily removable PPF instead of the paint itself.
This is a brilliant suggestion! Thanks, I'm going to do just that. I even have some leftover PPF from when I covered the Model 3 myself. Thank you!

Reactions: ryanjm
It's crazy how California bureaucracies think.

Let's mark cars that are not HOV so they can use the HOV lanes. We have 10 kinds of special plates, so ...

LET'S MAKE THEM STICKERS!!!! Plates would be too simple.

How many stickers? You'd think 1 sticker, but not so fast. For a cop to see them while you are driving, a single one on the back will work. Since HOV lanes are to the left, have them put it on the right side of the rear. That will be perfect.
Naw... Too easy. Make them put one on each of the 4 sides of the car!!! We would put one on the roof, but there are convertibles. Rats. We could have them put one the bottom of the car, but it's too hard to get them to stick.

Now ... We have White Stickers that mean ZEV. But our policy changes from time to time, and we already have 3 colors of HOV stickers, so let's make it an even 4 colors to simplify matters and increase sticker production cost. Wait. If we make the stickers 2 sizes, won't that ALSO cost a little more? GREAT IDEA Simpson, you can take a month off with pay!

We are proof that the California school system collapsed in the 1970's.

McRat,
Didn't you graduate in 1974 like me? ;)

RT

Reactions: McRat
We got white sticker last week as well.

It would have been nice if they sent the red ones, though I'm not keen on adding a 4th sticker to the front. Three stickers is already 2 (or 3) too many aesthetically for me.

I initially thought you were mistaken about the red stickers being required on all 4 sides. I know our white ones only required 3 sides. But I was wrong. OMG how ugly! Why?! Don't see why it's necessary. What's next? Plastering them on your windows too?

IMG_6771.JPG

And yes the blue Model 3 has the their small and large stickers applied in the wrong locations. Should be reversed.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jgd108