Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for replacement tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
There will now be some Model 3s, and plenty of Models S and X, that will be needing to replace tyres. I thought it would be useful to have a thread where people could share their choices and make comments on whether particular tyres suit the cars in terms of grip, rate of wear, noise characteristics and of course price.

Despite kicking off the thread in the winter it's not really intended to be swamped by the summer Vs winter tyres debate! Any useful comments are welcome about any tyres that people might be able to share, whether they are summer, all season or dedicated winter tyres.

I'm not there yet on replacing my summer tyres, partly because of slightly lower than expected mileage (for obvious reasons) and partly because I'm splitting my miles between winter/summer sets.

The winter set I bought last year are Goodyear UltraGrip (Gen1) bought through Blackcircles for £609.92 fitted. As expected, being winter pattern, they have a different noise characteristic but probably only only very slightly noisier than the OEM summers on my Model 3 SR+. Levels of grip are very confidence inspiring in all conditions ... brilliantly grippy in cold rainy weather or salt/damp slick surfaces ... and on slush or snow quite remarkable! Despite keeping them on longer than intended due to the early lockdown situation they seemed quite happy at warmer temperatures with moderate driving. I would be very happy to recommend them.

I went for Kleber (Michelin owned) Krisalp HP 3 winter tyres. Mostly due to the need to get across the Pyrenees a few times this winter. Excellent noise rating and wear also mid-field in other performance qualities. Certainly no louder that the stock Michelins...

Got a great deal from alltires365.com in Germany. Hurry before Brexit bollux descends ;)

I put them on a set of Borbet BLX wheels with Hof TMPS.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I recently bought Michelin CrossClimate+ for winter. I chose all seasons over pure winter tyres due to the prevailing temperatures where I live in the south of the country after reading and watching a lot of videos. I chose that brand because one of my local ATS dealers were the only people offering a tyre hotel service, the price was very attractive and the reviews were reasonable. They make a very different noise to the Pilot 4S standard 20” wheels, especially on corners. Not louder, just different.

I’ve done a few tests in cold (0–5ºC), wet weather involving some enthusiastic cornering and almost emergency stops, I’d say they work very well. This is good news because I’m a rubbish driver and need all the help I can get.

There will now be some Model 3s, and plenty of Models S and X, that will be needing to replace tyres. I thought it would be useful to have a thread where people could share their choices and make comments on whether particular tyres suit the cars in terms of grip, rate of wear, noise characteristics and of course price.

Despite kicking off the thread in the winter it's not really intended to be swamped by the summer Vs winter tyres debate! Any useful comments are welcome about any tyres that people might be able to share, whether they are summer, all season or dedicated winter tyres.

I'm not there yet on replacing my summer tyres, partly because of slightly lower than expected mileage (for obvious reasons) and partly because I'm splitting my miles between winter/summer sets.

The winter set I bought last year are Goodyear UltraGrip (Gen1) bought through Blackcircles for £609.92 fitted. As expected, being winter pattern, they have a different noise characteristic but probably only only very slightly noisier than the OEM summers on my Model 3 SR+. Levels of grip are very confidence inspiring in all conditions ... brilliantly grippy in cold rainy weather or salt/damp slick surfaces ... and on slush or snow quite remarkable! Despite keeping them on longer than intended due to the early lockdown situation they seemed quite happy at warmer temperatures with moderate driving. I would be very happy to recommend them.

I’ve done 40 miles in my LR...just about to swap Goodyear Vector 4seasons G3. Looked long and hard at all options and all/4 seasons in a UK winter with summers for summer seemed the best balance all round. The rolling resistance is better than most winters, which was important to me. I’m planning on swapping this weekend, would have been sooner, but only got the car on Friday :)

Great review and video here:
2020 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews

• Informative
I went for Kleber (Michelin owned) Krisalp HP 3 winter tyres. Mostly due to the need to get across the Pyrenees a few times this winter. Excellent noise rating and wear also mid-field in other performance qualities. Certainly no louder that the stock Michelins...

Got a great deal from alltires365.com in Germany. Hurry before Brexit bollux descends ;)

I put them on a set of Borbet BLX wheels with Hof TMPS.

I had these on the V90 bus, great tyre.

I’ve done 40 miles in my LR...just about to swap Goodyear Vector 4seasons G3. Looked long and hard at all options and all/4 seasons in a UK winter with summers for summer seemed the best balance all round. The rolling resistance is better than most winters, which was important to me. I’m planning on swapping this weekend, would have been sooner, but only got the car on Friday :)

Great review and video here:
2020 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews

Will be great to get your feedback after you have been running them for a while.

Will be great to get your feedback after you have been running them for a while.

I certainly will :) On another note, does anyone know if four 18 inch tyres will squeeze in? I’ve put one on the front seat with the belt on in previous cars and managed to arrange the other three around the rear seats/boot :) Will have a trial jigsaw run if no one knows :D

I certainly will :) On another note, does anyone know if four 18 inch tyres will squeeze in? I’ve put one on the front seat with the belt on in previous cars and managed to arrange the other three around the rear seats/boot :) Will have a trial jigsaw run if no one knows :D

I've transported tyres several times. All sizes end up roughly the same circumference so though mine are off the 18in rims all sizes should fit. I put the back seats down and then all 4 fit side by side in a line via the back door ... so they are supported at the back by the edge of the parcel shelf. Even though you could put one in the boot if you wanted to there is a slight advantage of putting the 4 together because they tend to support each other better to restrict the movement. You really need to use a couple of large dust sheets to protect the car interior from getting dirty scuff marks when putting them into position... great care is needed. You need to invent your own methods of further restricting movement but very gentle driving is the main requirement!

(If the inevitable happens I found that Autoglym interior shampoo spray and a dry microfibre cloth effectively removes any marks from the white textured finish.)

Reactions: M3noob
I've transported tyres several times. All sizes end up roughly the same circumference so though mine are off the 18in rims all sizes should fit. I put the back seats down and then all 4 fit side by side in a line via the back door ... so they are supported at the back by the edge of the parcel shelf. Even though you could put one in the boot if you wanted to there is a slight advantage of putting the 4 together because they tend to support each other better to restrict the movement. You really need to use a couple of large dust sheets to protect the car interior from getting dirty scuff marks when putting them into position... great care is needed. You need to invent your own methods of further restricting movement but very gentle driving is the main requirement!

(If the inevitable happens I found that Autoglym interior shampoo spray and a dry microfibre cloth effectively removes any marks from the white textured finish.)

Brilliant, thanks for that. I’ve had a set of these for years which have been great. Always good to double up with dust sheets etc though :)

Heyner Germany Premium Tyres Covers Wheel Storage Bags For Tyre Size 16"-22" Inches Large Heavy Duty Strong Fabric For Car Suv Van Transporter Set of 4 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AQM8GDA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_2uj2FbKHW7NS8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: ajp558
I looked into tyres a while back (not getting the car until next week).
In the US, they always seem to fit all-season tyres as standard, whereas the UK has summers as standard.

I'm leaning toward all-season long term as I don't want to keep swapping as I currently do on my RWD BMW.

Coming from BMW, I quite like the "safety" of runflat tyres, but these aren't readily available in standard Tesla 18" size (235/45), so I'm currently thinking of the Continental all-season Contact Contiseal tyres, which are self-sealing for most punctures, as a compromise.
They have M&S & snowflake marking, are B-rated for rolling & wet-grip, and have excellent reviews.

• Informative
Reactions: Alex987854
Coming from BMW, I quite like the "safety" of runflat tyres, but these aren't readily available in standard Tesla 18" size (235/45), so I'm currently thinking of the Continental all-season Contact Contiseal tyres, which are self-sealing for most punctures, as a compromise.
They have M&S & snowflake marking, are B-rated for rolling & wet-grip, and have excellent reviews.

If you do get these, or an alternative, it would be great to get your feedback after you have been running them for a while.

I've had Michelin Cross Climate + on my M3P for the last year on 18" after market rims. Excellent. I have the 20" OEM stored in the garage and rotate them diligently every month. I didn't bother putting them back on over summer as I figure they may be made of cheese and I don't trust the potholes around here. That said, there's probably £3k worth of tyre and wheel there so I guess I might give them a run out next spring.

But overall the Cross Climate + have been spot on. I'm not a crazy driver but suffice to say that they haven't failed me in the odd spats with boy racers in Ford Focus RS and for sure they can handle 115 mph effortlessly (apparently ;))

• Informative
I've had Michelin Cross Climate + on my M3P for the last year on 18" after market rims. Excellent. I have the 20" OEM stored in the garage and rotate them diligently every month. I didn't bother putting them back on over summer as I figure they may be made of cheese and I don't trust the potholes around here. That said, there's probably £3k worth of tyre and wheel there so I guess I might give them a run out next spring.

But overall the Cross Climate + have been spot on. I'm not a crazy driver but suffice to say that they haven't failed me in the odd spats with boy racers in Ford Focus RS and for sure they can handle 115 mph effortlessly (apparently ;))

These look like an interesting choice and from all descriptions look like they are a good match for the typical range of UK rather conditions. I did read a couple of reviews (on Michelin's own website) that pointed out an issue from drivers who otherwise seemed to love the tyres. Both of them were people who routinely parked on gravel and found that it would become strongly embedded into the tyre. They then either wanted to stop on the road to prise off the gravel or risk stones being rattled against the underside of the sills and wheel arches! Is that anything you have experienced? Seeing photos of a M3 on this forum with badly chipped sills does make me cautious. I would have thought that maybe this is likely to be a feature of any winter tyres too due to the softer compound and deep tread ... it also may depend on the size of gravel. I park on some really rough big stuff (not such as you would find on a suburban housing estate) and fortunately haven't noticed this kind of issue on my winter tyres so maybe it's too big to become lodged ... pea gravel would be different perhaps.

I've got two very worn original 18 inch Michelins due to bad alignment (wrong spec used). Only 8500 miles on them.

The outfit that messed up promised me a deal on replacements. I've been quoted £180 each mounted and balanced.

Does that strike you as a good enough deal?

In comparison I had one replaced at SC in Dartford that succumbed to road hazard for £287. I took the hit because it lost air in Calais and didn't want to run all the way home at 50mph with the Road Hero spare.

These look like an interesting choice and from all descriptions look like they are a good match for the typical range of UK rather conditions. I did read a couple of reviews (on Michelin's own website) that pointed out an issue from drivers who otherwise seemed to love the tyres. Both of them were people who routinely parked on gravel and found that it would become strongly embedded into the tyre. They then either wanted to stop on the road to prise off the gravel or risk stones being rattled against the underside of the sills and wheel arches! Is that anything you have experienced? Seeing photos of a M3 on this forum with badly chipped sills does make me cautious. I would have thought that maybe this is likely to be a feature of any winter tyres too due to the softer compound and deep tread ... it also may depend on the size of gravel. I park on some really rough big stuff (not such as you would find on a suburban housing estate) and fortunately haven't noticed this kind of issue on my winter tyres so maybe it's too big to become lodged ... pea gravel would be different perhaps.
Interesting you mention that as I have had two events where I stopped to remove small bits of gravel from the tread. Both where I'd stayed at a venue with a long gravel track. Not a big deal for me but could be if your drive at home is gravel based. I picked the tyres up on a Costco deal, not much more than £120 each if I recall correctly. I remember it being a good deal

Interesting you mention that as I have had two events where I stopped to remove small bits of gravel from the tread. Both where I'd stayed at a venue with a long gravel track. Not a big deal for me but could be if your drive at home is gravel based. I picked the tyres up on a Costco deal, not much more than £120 each if I recall correctly. I remember it being a good deal

Wow ... great price.

I've got two very worn original 18 inch Michelins due to bad alignment (wrong spec used). Only 8500 miles on them.

The outfit that messed up promised me a deal on replacements. I've been quoted £180 each mounted and balanced.

Does that strike you as a good enough deal?

In comparison I had one replaced at SC in Dartford that succumbed to road hazard for £287. I took the hit because it lost air in Calais and didn't want to run all the way home at 50mph with the Road Hero spare.
Black circles claim to have them and they are £185 so not much of a deal. However there is another thread running where people are saying that no one has them and it takes weeks to get them ( Brexit? Covid?) so if they can actually get them that may be a good price right now.

I've been having the 21" MS in Hong Kong for a few years and am in the process of shipping the car to the UK.
Whilst in HK I've been using Continental Conti Sport Contact 5P (non silent) for 3 years min and usually fares quite well. Just have to get new sets every 12 months for the front (and would feel slightly slippery going up hill wet which I have to go through every day- the wet HK summers!).
bad part - I only get 10K Mi for the front. but given that the urban driving on hilly conditions, it seems fairly normal out there.

• Informative
I've just ordered a set of aftermarket 18" wheels and TPMS sensors. I'm now looking for a set of Winter(?) tyres to complement the current summer Pilot Sport 4S'. Thanks to this thread for the helpful pointers!

My partner had Crossclimate+ on her last car and they were perfect for here (literally snow/slush on the mountain and ~5-7deg C below. That's fairly cross-climate. I've also noticed the that new CrossClimate 2 won't fit although I've found a report of some other Model 3 owner experiencing some success with them.

I've noticed that Tesla sell the Pirelli Sottozero >2< in a wheel+tyre 'winter' kit. Is there any reason why this might not be the Sottozero 3's?