Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not currently. But I'm working on something like that. The twitter thing was just a fun project to play with the data and see what's available for analysis.

The default tweet when a car reaches 15% SoC should be "Help! Someone call Elon, I think my driver is trying to Broder me!!! :("

That said, I think its well past time that our cars start socializing with each other. We already have location based mobile dating, and I think its well past time we let our cars have location based conversations with each other.

Just saw this come across the @TeslaRoadTrip twitter stream:

teslaguy is backing up. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Even though I wrote the code that says that, I was still LMAO.:biggrin:

By the end of this, I'm sure teslaguy and aaron.s will be totally creeped out by their cars constantly tweeting on them. Just ask my wife. :)

Even though I wrote the code that says that, I was still LMAO.:biggrin:

By the end of this, I'm sure teslaguy and aaron.s will be totally creeped out by their cars constantly tweeting on them. Just ask my wife. :)

That's pretty cool...and funny!
TESLAGUY is now home and put to bed and getting a nice drink of da juice.
My wife already thinks I'm nuts over this whole thing! :wink:
Can't wait for the big drive north tomorrow!!

- - - Updated - - -

My wife is creeped out that I can see where she is just by checking the Model S app.

Great job on setting this up guys. Anyone on the road reading this want to set up the map as in dpeilow's offer?

So just to reiterate, we can embed tweets and a live Google map on a landing page here if desired. One of the participants will have to set up Latitude on their phone or whatever.

First of all I'm both amazed and excited that so many people are doing this! I'd join you but we just finalized our order last week (delivery date in March).

Ben, we met in the Boston store way back in September or October , I believe. I'll have to ask the boss in the morning but if she agrees, I'd love to copilot. I'm based in Glastonbury, CT. Will let you know ASAP.

Jason

You able to go?

Anyone? I would love to get some video, possibly livestream, if I could ... but really need a copilot for that to be effective ...

Assuming I go, I'm talking about leaving boston around 11pm and driving straight thru ... napping in MD before we leave around 1ish... I'm gonna need a lot of caffeine :smile:

(I'll be smart about it though -- I won't drive if I'm too tired)

I'm in the Milford south supercharge - 236 miles now.

When i pulled in, a white S with dealer plates was in the other station. Matt from Boston had arrived just a few minutes before i did, returning the CNN car back to DC - CNBC will be doing the trip later this week, and then a few others - Elon's offer was quite popular.

Matt was aware of our trip and will meet you all in Rockville in the morning.

BTW - finding the supercharger is a no brainer - "navigate to tesla supercharger in milford" - it pinpointed the exact location in the faciltiy - with a few feet - how can anyone possibly miss this?

We both got nearly full range from Boston area to milford - and until i cracked it up was running in the 270's - matt was in the 230's - i started with 202 and arrived with 59, matt with 188 and arrived with 59. After the CT border, i was mostly in the 75-80 range, so no compromise driving this magnificent vehicle.

My wife and i are heading for a late drink in NYC, and then to the Rutger's area for the night - matt indicate i should not expect much from a 110 outdoors - so our backup is one of several j1772's on the rutger's campus - after topping off, if we need to , then off to Wilmington in the AM

Having a fantastic time - great to meet matt and catch on on the experinces locally. Very much looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow!!!

Jack

BTW - finding the supercharger is a no brainer - "navigate to tesla supercharger in milford" - it pinpointed the exact location in the faciltiy - with a few feet - how can anyone possibly miss this?

The most important thing I want out of all the drives this weekend is for someone to put a dashcam in their car and make a 5 minute video of driving around the parking lot that Broder did. I want to see how many times you can pass the supercharger in 5 minutes and make sure you point out the count every time you go past it. Put this video on youtube, add a nice soundtrack.
Charts and graphs are nice, but I think the video will make the most compelling point.

You able to go?

Anyone? I would love to get some video, possibly livestream, if I could ... but really need a copilot for that to be effective ...

Assuming I go, I'm talking about leaving boston around 11pm and driving straight thru ... napping in MD before we leave around 1ish... I'm gonna need a lot of caffeine :smile:

(I'll be smart about it though -- I won't drive if I'm too tired)

Ben

If you come - you're coming all the way down to MD? Meet us at the Rockville Service Center?

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

All -

Autobloggreen mentions us (and links to our twitter page) in their CNN DC to Boston Article!

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/15/cnn-proves-tesla-model-s-can-make-infamous-road-trip-more-attem/

Aaron

The most important thing I want out of all the drives this weekend is for someone to put a dashcam in their car and make a 5 minute video of driving around the parking lot that Broder did. I want to see how many times you can pass the supercharger in 5 minutes and make sure you point out the count every time you go past it. Put this video on youtube, add a nice soundtrack.
Charts and graphs are nice, but I think the video will make the most compelling point.

You don't even need a Model S for that. Anyone that lives near the Milford Supercharger can make the rounds in any vehicle to show how laughable it is to drive around in circles for more than 5 minutes and 0.6 miles.

Supercharging Six, your efforts are already inspiring. The next two days promise to be fun and meaningful.

while I know this is not what you all are about with this trip, I say Tesla name one Supercharger location on the east coast after each of you as soon as they get six built! (i.e. much like highway reststops often are named after historical figures).

I'm not gonna lie, the car tweeting thing is really really cool, but for this application, seems like it might get in the way. I'm afraid that the tweet page will be filled with a bunch of status updates about the car's internal temperature, and it's going to detract from the actual progress of the trip. If you want to entice the media to get interested in your story, I can't imagine a reporter sitting down to wade through pages and pages of tweets that are mostly about temps and SoC.

Maybe you might consider setting up a separate twitter account that will collect all of the copious amounts of data so those that are interested can really dig in, but those that are not won't have to wade through all the noise.

+ 1. I see frequency was reduced, but still not the right place. I'm afraid the auto-posts are killing the whole thing. But would be awesome to have them on a separate twitter account (with a higher frequency, actually).