Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found out about this. I live close to where you are departing from tomorrow morning. I will be there at 9 am to take some pictures. Would be honored to co-pilot/ ride along to document the journey if possible. im @strassenversion on twitter.

Good luck and safe driving to all of the drivers this weekend!

A quick telemetry update. I've added the hash tags #telemetry and #TeslaRoadTrip to all telemetry tweets. #telemetry is to distinguish it from owners' personal tweets, and I think we should all use #TeslaRoadTrip in our tweets to see if we can make this a trending topic on twitter this weekend! :) I just restarted all of the telemetry to get a fresh odometer reading from all cars while they are parked, so we have accurate mileage readings.

I'm off to ski for a few days, so I sure hope this twitter integration all works while I'm gone. :scared: I'll be loosely keeping an eye on things, aaron.s knows the twitter kill switch if things go horribly wrong. :)

Last edited:
Guys, from Aaron's comments in Green Car Reports, it's so good to hear your plan includes some cars recreating Broder's precise route (but with a full charge!). sounded like one car even recreating the not plugging in at night variable.

Margaret Sullivan of the New York Times is in the midst of deciding whether Broder's article ever should have been published. If she calls for the Times to retract the story that would be a stellar debunking. I think the timing of your ride couldn't be better... in two days Sullivan may be able to add the results of the same route obtained by a driver following the simple instruction to charge fully into her decision process.

Hi all,

I've kept quiet for 23 pages, but I simply can't any longer.

This has been a very challenging week. At the beginning of the week it felt a lot like David vs Goliath... but then something happened that changed everything. Something that was very moving and pushed us forward despite the odds -- our customers and supporters began to reach out and let us know they are with us in this fight. We started getting messages from all around the world encouraging us to stand tall and not give in.

We thought long and hard about the fight ahead as we sat in the Connection 3 conference room just outside the final inspection area of the Fremont Factory at 11:01pm on Wednesday night. Should we hit the button and release the blog, or should we just stay silent and hope this passes as quickly as possible. The answer became clear, we simply could not stand by and let our customers and supporters down. You expect us to do what we think is best. You expect us to do things others would never do. And you expect us to do it despite the odds, so we did. We hit the button and published the blog.

Since the moment we hit the button, the response from the Tesla Community has been incredible!!! Words cannot describe how thankful we are to have your support as we continue our mission to simply have the truth be told.

What you are doing for us this weekend is AWESOME! We go to work every day committed to doing something that we believe will make a difference in the future. All of you should know that what you are doing for us this weekend inspires us and reminds us that there are people out there who believe in what we are doing and who are willing to stand behind us when the going gets tough. Priceless...

Thank you so much for what you are doing this weekend! It means more than you will ever know. I'll be cheering you on every step of the way :)

GeorgeB

Hi all,

I've kept quiet for 23 pages, but I simply can't any longer.

This has been a very challenging week. At the beginning of the week it felt a lot like David vs Goliath... but then something happened that changed everything. Something that was very moving and pushed us forward despite the odds -- our customers and supporters began to reach out and let us know they are with us in this fight. We started getting messages from all around the world encouraging us to stand tall and not give in.

We thought long and hard about the fight ahead as we sat in the Connection 3 conference room just outside the final inspection area of the Fremont Factory at 11:01pm on Wednesday night. Should we hit the button and release the blog, or should we just stay silent and hope this passes as quickly as possible. The answer became clear, we simply could not stand by and let our customers and supporters down. You expect us to do what we think is best. You expect us to do things others would never do. And you expect us to do it despite the odds, so we did. We hit the button and published the blog.

Since the moment we hit the button, the response from the Tesla Community has been incredible!!! Words cannot describe how thankful we are to have your support as we continue our mission to simply have the truth be told.

What you are doing for us this weekend is AWESOME! We go to work every day committed to doing something that we believe will make a difference in the future. All of you should know that what you are doing for us this weekend inspires us and reminds us that there are people out there who believe in what we are doing and who are willing to stand behind us when the going gets tough. Priceless...

Thank you so much for what you are doing this weekend! It means more than you will ever know. I'll be cheering you on every step of the way :)

GeorgeB

awesome.

It's 6AM now and i can hardly sleep - this experience is truly once in a lifetime - i am so grateful for what the Telsa company is doing for us and being part of a game changing experience - really appreciate George's support for us and how the execs reacted to the situation (as an owner and shareholder).

Back to our trip. Arrived at the Homeless Suites here in NJ at about 1:00 AM after a great time in NYC (despite a parking ticket even though we paid and displayed the receipt prominently as requested). Stood at the door for 1/2 hour along with another couple before someone showed up. Night staff had no idea about my request to charge my electric car. Staff was then really were great, and called the GM, who had roped of 3 spots as committed. Then we were the keystone cops looking for the 110 outlet, which no one could find. After several more calls to the GM and maintenance, we finally found it - but it was 100 ft from the car and we would had to cross two prominent walkways and it was raining quite hard. So we're back to plan B, which is to top off at Rutget's Chargepoint (note - we did not range charge in Milford and would have been fine even with a 110). We've depleted about 20 miles thus far - and understand this is due to bugs in sleep mode which was removed in 4.2 (please let us know these things going forward). So we'll need 1.5 to 2 at Rutgers as we're down to 80 rated and 86 away from Wilmington. All part of the learning process - wonder if anyone could do this trip in the 1st two years of ICE cars - was the supporting infrastrcuture there??

We found performance a bit less than the superb level we realized up to NYC once we hit NJ. I commented to my wife that we must be on an uphill leg as we're now running at 350/360 versus the low 300s we've averaged for most of the trip - and i was driving slower than before (65, tired), and the temperaure was the same. She said something like 'genius, we're in the meadowlands'. So the only factor that was different was NJ - so Tesla engineering must have enabled the car to know it's in NJ and not be happy about it - very impressive.

I did not buy this car for long haul trips (mostly, it's ideal to get back and forth from the Cape to Metrowest)- we typically would take an Avis car on such a trip - but it's clear that that was not a good assupmtion. Petrol was $4 at Milford, and we are saving about $100 on Petrol over the course of this trip (thanks again for those superchargers!! - they are fantastic!! - although one on the NJTP north would be of great value). I now feel totally comfortable taking the S for a NY dinner and show, to visit my daugther in Bryn Mawr or sister in DC. We just need a bit more burn in and infrastructure in place. The quality of the car and support of the company is off the charts positive.

See you all shortly!!!

PS: They comped us the room for our troubles, so total cost of this trip is $24 for NYC dessert and about $20 in tolls - that's it!!