Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning Guys!

Just woke up! Its 24 degrees here (may have gotten down to 23-21 degrees last night - not quite as cold as Broder's trip).

Checked my Model S app and my car has 179 miles of range - so a cold soak brought it down from 196, so a difference of 17 miles. Good chance I'd get some of that back as the pack heats up. I was *not* plugged in last night. Even if it was 10 degrees last night - having done a *full range* charge @ Milford to 270 miles last night means that if I saw a "huge" drop like Broder did of 50-70 miles, I would still easily make it the 55-60 miles back to the Milford, CT supercharger.

Yesterday I alternated from turning heat on until it was toasty in the cabin, then turning it off for a while until it was just cool enough to turn it back on again. You may have seen that high temp while it was heating up. The key point here is that at no point yesterday was I uncomfortable in the cabin. I had a copilot the whole way and we both had our seat heaters on 2 as well.

Looking forward to heading back to Milford with some of the team... Ben (cinergi) and another car will be heading up to Boston. 4 cars (including me) will be heading to Milford. I live in Westchester, NY -- not sure if I will be going straight home or doing something with the other 3 cars, which will ultimately be heading back down to Maryland.

We're meeting at 10am for breakfast (I didn't go to bed until 3:30am) - and we'll see what the game plan is!

Aaron

PS - just got word that the low temp here last night was 21.92 degrees!

PPS - Was happy to see as you all did, that all our cars - including the unmonitored ones (with the exception of teslasguy's) had virtually the exact same stats in terms of rated/projected range at each of the stops along the way yesterday! At our last stop before Milford, just before the George Washington Bridge - we were all within 1 mile (Rated/Projected) of each other! We're still scratching our head over teslasguys car though - and will have to look in to that more....

Last edited:
Brilliant lyrics!
Anyone with a sound studio lay this track?

I agree. Great job by ntam.

I'd just add one word to chorus

Chorus

"Broderlie", feels like I am going to get stranded, fine!
You just keep on pushing my battery over the borderline

- - - Updated - - -

For dramatic effect maybe they could pull an effigy of Broder up to right under the big NY Times logo on the facade:) I have the highest regard for the Times and have been a subscriber all of my adult life, but they blew it on this one for sure. Where was the fact checking? It appears the only facts were Broder's. But perhaps this is what the Times has fallen to in the age of blogs, where opinions pass for facts.

I'm with on this but have only been a digital subscriber since they started that in 2012 I think. I can give them the benefit of doubt that this slipped past the editor because on the surface, if you know nothing about EVs and charging, it seems legit. As they say though, the coverup is sometimes worse than the crime. I am very disappointed in the editor's continued support of Broder and this article given all the evidence. They need to at least make an editoral comment on this article and really should retract it.

I am a volunteer Skywarn spotter for National Weather Service. I just looked up the actual weather in Groton, Ct. it is 23 F with the wind from the North at 14 MPH temperature actually feels like 11 F. So your batteries were actually feeling 11 F last night coupled with the aluminum casing they were darn cold!!!

I am a volunteer Skywarn spotter for National Weather Service. I just looked up the actual weather in Groton, Ct. it is 23 F with the wind from the North at 14 MPH temperature actually feels like 11 F. So your batteries were actually feeling 11 F last night coupled with the aluminum casing they were darn cold!!!

I'm not sure that's exactly accurate. The wind chill real feel effect is accurate in regards to human skin but not sure it's the same against objects like batteries.

I'm not sure that's exactly accurate. The wind chill real feel effect is accurate in regards to human skin but not sure it's the same against objects like batteries.

Objects will cool down faster if there is wind because if it's still the air warmed by the objects will act as a kind of insulation. However, I think the whole idea of wind-chill was just invented so that you could have lower numbers to complain/brag about :) If it's -20, whether the windchill subtracts another 10 degrees or not doesn't really change the fact that it's not bikini weather.

Heat always transfers from warmer objects to colder objects no matter what they are by radiation, conduction and convection to reach equilibrium(equal temperature). Wind adds to convection so a hot anything will transfer heat faster to reach the surrounding temperature, if there is wind blowing over it.

I'll be heading on to Boston this morning from Groton before making the return trip to DC later today. HUGE commendation to the Tesla Motors technical folks (Joost and his team) for working with me to resolve an issue with my car that might have kept me from supercharging - a fix involving custom software developed and pushed to my car while I had a coffee at the charging stations in Delaware. I challenge any other car maker in the world to provide that level of service! Bravo Tesla - more details when I get back to DC...

I'll be heading on to Boston this morning from Groton before making the return trip to DC later today. HUGE commendation to the Tesla Motors technical folks (Joost and his team) for working with me to resolve an issue with my car that might have kept me from supercharging - a fix involving custom software developed and pushed to my car while I had a coffee at the charging stations in Delaware. I challenge any other car maker in the world to provide that level of service! Bravo Tesla - more details when I get back to DC...

That's an amazing response from the Tesla engineers, EKoS. Makes me proud of the whole team: both the committed, responsive company and its fiercely loyal customers. It's quite amazing, really.

Maybe one or more of the cars left unplugged in Groton tonight could drive through Stonington in the morning, en route to the Milford Superchargers? I think it's essential not to give the other camp an easy out ("they didn't even drive the same route..."). And what about those extra miles in the wrong direction to the 'emergency' charger?

I think it's fine not to follow his route too slavishly. The point, after all, is to show how if he'd done things right, it would've worked fine, and some of his mistakes were route-based and poor/wrong use of infrastructure, no?

- - - Updated - - -

Yesterday I alternated from turning heat on until it was toasty in the cabin, then turning it off for a while until it was just cool enough to turn it back on again. You may have seen that high temp while it was heating up. The key point here is that at no point yesterday was I uncomfortable in the cabin. I had a copilot the whole way and we both had our seat heaters on 2 as well.

Thanks for elaborating. Does anyone on the trip not have heated (i.e., leather) seats? Or not bother using the heated seats? Some of us got textile under the old pricing and thus don't have seat heaters, so I'm curious how much more/less people use the regular heat when they don't/do have heated seats, on long trips like this.