Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red light detection, stop sign detection, stopping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well not BS when it is a fact that happened to me long ago. Maybe just some picky DMV guy, but it did happen to me. Uh, and that was in 1968.

Little did you know at the time the DMV guy was just preparing you for the future of Red Light Cameras.

Where a failure to stop BEFORE the stop line will get you a nice ticket in the mail.

Plus those buggers are difficult to fight against.

I've had to change my driving behavior (at red light cameras) to make sure I always come to a complete stop before the line to satisfy our robot overlords before inching forwards to look to take the right on red.

I can't wait till AP does right turns on red then the robo-light can send the robo-car a ticket.

Little did you know at the time the DMV guy was just preparing you for the future of Red Light Cameras. Where a failure to stop BEFORE the stop line will get you a nice ticket in the mail.

Yup, but then again, maybe it was because I dated his daughter and realized it wasn't a good match :rolleyes: Though he was right to ding me for it cos I always remembered to stop before the line.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
that's BS obviously. I researched this matter and there's no such thing as a stop line in the actual laws.

@verygreen: much respect for your work and communication, but -- not sure what all you researched, but CVC 377 defines limit line, and the various violations (stop sign: CVC 22450; stop light: CVC 22453; etc.) all reference the limit line. CA MUTCD notes that "limit line" and "stop line" are the same thing. Ain't no "5 feet behind it" in the law, but for a DL exam you're supposed to be demonstrating conservative behavior consistent with the Guide, not legal-just-barely.

That claim is going to require some more explanation that "I'm just that good".

@wcorey: @verygreen, aka /u/greentheonly has thousands of posts demonstrating substantial penetration of the onboard system and datastreams. See, for example, this: video-360-full - Streamable or this: Seeing the world in autopilot, part deux. He(she)'s established credibility.

In Louisiana, an intersection is defined (by law) by the "stop line" when present:

(ii) Where a highway with a stop line, yield line, or crosswalk is designated on the roadway on the intersection approach, the area within the crosswalk or beyond the designated stop line or yield line shall be part of the intersection.

If you cross the line, you've technically entered the intersection.

I think a number of people are walking into these safety assist features with a poor perspective. The roads are not video games. For example, if the light is out and you continue through an intersection, you could be endangering yourself.

Adding to the fun, it also depends on why the light is dead. Is there a bag over it? If so, it isn't active yet, and the road signs or existing lights take precedence. Are there yellow tape Xs over it? If so, then it isn't active yet and the road signs or existing lights take precedence. Otherwise, it's a four-way stop.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and Engr
The wife's perspective....... "Oh, so now the car tells me 2 seconds before the red light that I'm about to run it, so I panic, hit the brakes and stop in the middle of the intersection, only to be T-boned by a Mack truck and killed?" Before that feature I would have just raced through it, not knowing, and all has been well."

To which I reply after 40 years of marriage.... "Yes honey, you are always right. Now what's for dinner" :rolleyes: Staying out of frying pan range.

I am in California and about to drive my jun 2017 build (I presume that means HW 2.0) S 100D to British Columbia Canada. I installed 19.8.3 a couple days ago. Let’s pretend some level of the traffic lights/stop sign recognition is working (the release notes indicate they MAY). When I cross the boarder to Canada, should I expect these features to be locked out?

No idea, but once you get to BC you'll need a yellow light warning feature to avoid tickets. If the light is yellow and you don't stop when safe to do so, they will ticket you. Not that that law would have helped here in Seattle the other day, where a lady in a BMW X5 ran the red by about 6s while I was in the crosswalk. Thankfully the drivers orthogonal to her also saw what she was about to do and didn't enter on their green.

the activation is two stage process.

1. you get 19.8.3 (and are in US)
2. you install it and it reports to mothership.
3. mothership updates your config to enable the feature
4. eventually your car fetches the new config.
5. it starts working.

There are mentions on reddit that people with 3s saw the detections working. so I am sure it will be widely seen soon.
Is the intent that this feature, even if only passive, works w/o TACC or AutoSteer active? Last night I drove around looking for stop signs and stop lights with and without TACC and AutoSteer. NADA. and on 2019.8.3 since Thurs AM.

What you have only works while AP is active.
Thanks for response. So, where TACC is part of (E)AP then only if TACC is active. It would seem to me it should be active all the time. It's a safety feature, like crash mitigation. Sure, I'd understand if active braking for a stop sign/light only worked when (E)AP or, more specifically, FSD was ordered. The thing of it is, and this requires a bit of thought. Even for those who purchased a Model 3 last year before EAP morphed into AP, Tesla has said in order to get NoA functionality in the neighborhood (secondary roads) you must have purchased FSD. There aren't too many stop signs and stop lights on Interstates. By that metric I'd say you would have to have FSD. There doesn't seem to be a lot of continuity in Tesla policy decrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffnReno
Thanks for response. So, where TACC is part of (E)AP then only if TACC is active.

No, as the release notes says it currently only works when on Autosteer. TACC alone isn't enough.

I think the point is that if you are only on TACC you are driving and are completely responsible for steering and paying attention to the surroundings. If you are on Autosteer there is a higher likelihood that you have spaced out and could miss a red light.

Maybe there are enough false positives that they don't want to trigger them when on TACC yet.

No, as the release notes says it currently only works when on Autosteer. TACC alone isn't enough.

I think the point is that if you are only on TACC you are driving and are completely responsible for steering and paying attention to the surroundings. If you are on Autosteer there is a higher likelihood that you have spaced out and could miss a red light.

Maybe there are enough false positives that they don't want to trigger them when on TACC yet.
Maybe, but how many people run red lights and stop signs because they were partially hypnotized that they just didn't see it. I think the better safe than sorry applies there as much as it does to emergency braking which is a 'freebie' requiring neither (E)AP nor FSD.
Thanks Mike! The troubling thing is I don't even remember seeing them in the release notes. So I did check today. Just to go out to the car to pull up release notes seems sort of...well. I was going to correct iTech but you beat me to it. It still doesn't work here. Something else broke. I got the car washed just now and on the return via NoA, there is an exit with an exit lane for 800' or so. The car dutifully put on the right blinker and started to shift one lane and never straightened out. It just about drove me off the road (cement pillars with 2, 1 1/2" horizontal wires between the pillars). That used to work fine. Hopefully it relayed to the mothership that disengagement.

I am in California ... When I cross the boarder to Canada, should I expect these features to be locked out?

Not sure what will happen when you cross a boarder other than he/she might trash your house. As for features north of the Canadian border, several annoyances will become evident - especially the further north you go. Two examples come to mind:

1. Autosteer will fail miserably when attempting to manage those diagonal dotted lines you'll encounter on state, er, provincial routes.
2. We have essentially the same build (mine's late March, 2017). And since neither are AP1, which did recognize and react to speed limit signs, you'll have the opportunity to experience Great Vexation when whichever broken database upon which AP2/2.5 relies decides that the 4-lane divided highway you just merged onto is somehow different (I use the analogy of county versus state roads) than the one you just left. Different how, you ask? Different in that on the lesser road you just left, you could engage Autosteer and a speed limit greater than 5mph (up there, km/h but the same idea), while now, you're stuck at 5km/h over THE WRONG SPEED LIMIT. Yeah - fun for about a mile. not fun for 100 km.

Other than those bits of merriment, everything worked fine whether in Vancouver or north of Edmonton 150km and everywhere in between. Something about Rogers wifi, if I remember right.

There was one particularly notable bright spot specific to the roads during not the last trip but during one in which I still had OEM Michelins on the car... Coming out of Vancouver if I remember right. The quietest road surface I've driven on in all of North America so far. Unlike *cough* other places when the dB level in cabin exceeded 90db. Sustained. No, compared to those ear-damaging experiences, that one all-too-brief stretch out of Vancouver was glorious for all that it was not. It was not noisy. It was not bumpy. It was... as it should be.

Anyway, good luck with your trip north. Do find a reason to take the back way from Kamloops to/through Whistler and down past the Sound in the vicinity of the Squamish SC. Bonus points for timing it to arrive near sunset.

As a recent recipient of 8.3 after a long drought, and as an already annoyed one at that, given the faked 12/2016 video that implied (and later confirmed by management) that buying a new car at that time (AP2.0, NOT AP2.5) would enable what is now known as Smart Summon (which is clearly off the table for 2.0 cars), I look forward to stop sign recognition and reaction. I never believed that Tesla could account for all of the various permutations of traffic light management with what is now referred to as FSD, but stop sign *reaction* was first mentioned by Elon in late 2014. No qualifiers that AP1 wouldn't be able to do it, by the way. As long as that happens with my current chariot, I'm less likely to join any future class actions in any capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
what leads you to think so? I think it will be available on ap2.0 just fine.

I hope you're right. Was under the impression that Smart Summon would not be available for AP2.0 cars.

Sentry is another feature not available but wasn't that due to having MCU1 rather than MCU2 and having no retrofit path despite Elon's clear statement to the contrary?

In the end, having patiently waited this long (picked up the first (AP1) S at the factory on 12/26/2014) for stop sign *reaction* and having given up upon Tesla doing the right thing and blending the two speed limit recognition/reaction approaches (AP1/MobilEye camera versus AP2, 2+ broken db reliance) such that the camera is primary and db secondary, I'll be a happy camper with just the stop sign reaction feature except now from Elon's latest clarification it appears that even that will be another year away (pending software AND hardware availability). Meaning 3 years from the date I bought the car and paid for the FSD functionality. And almost 3.5 years since the video. Eh.

Which is the long way of saying that I'm not so verklempt about the Smart Summon thing - but given your confidence that it will be available for my aging chariot, well, hey- icing on the cake :).

Thanks by the way for your continued and valued contributions.

No, the dashcam and Sentry features are available on MCU1 cars as long as they have AP2.5 hardware.

Thanks Mike - so... if I recall correctly, Summer 2017 cars, essentially, prior to MCU2 being in production. Zero retrofit option for AP2.5 for AP2.0 cars still, yes?

I believe my path is clear - get back into a nice stable AP1 car for the next 2-3 years until the Tesla pickup is ready, and then load up with one of those. Unless stop sign reaction becomes an actual thing, as 2 sets of dashcams covers the Sentry thing and that just leaves the absence of Smart Summon, which probably I and my insurance company can live without just fine... (as admittedly cool as that was in the faked video - both in eschewing the handicapped space and in circling the entire car park and finding a space). Although I don't remember if we got to actually see the backing into a space part.

Thanks Mike - so... if I recall correctly, Summer 2017 cars, essentially, prior to MCU2 being in production. Zero retrofit option for AP2.5 for AP2.0 cars still, yes?

I believe my path is clear - get back into a nice stable AP1 car for the next 2-3 years until the Tesla pickup is ready, and then load up with one of those. Unless stop sign reaction becomes an actual thing, as 2 sets of dashcams covers the Sentry thing and that just leaves the absence of Smart Summon, which probably I and my insurance company can live without just fine... (as admittedly cool as that was in the faked video - both in eschewing the handicapped space and in circling the entire car park and finding a space). Although I don't remember if we got to actually see the backing into a space part.

AP2.5 started getting put in cars in August of 2017. (MCU2 was March of 2018 if I recall correctly.)

There has been no mention of upgrading AP2 to AP2.5 sensor/equipment. The rumor is that it is the cameras color filters that are the reason that Sentry/Dashcam are not available on AP2 cars. There is also the possibility that they are using the second SOC for the video encoding in AP2.5 for the Sentry/Dashcam feature. If that is the case then if you paid for FSD you might get Sentry/Dashcam with the HW3 upgrade.

Smart Summon should come to AP2 cars.