Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red light detection, stop sign detection, stopping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike the US, the EU does not mess around when it comes to regulations.

Yeah well in Norway the road authority is surprised that they haven't got more applications for self driving So the road here is open so to speak ..

Tesla refused to comment whether they had delivered such an application. So the question is whether they have tried at all and is deliberately doing it to blame regulators for delays

In order to see stop signs & red lights, do we have to upgrade to FSD software? If so I wish I had bought it at $2K. I don't want to blow $5K for just that added feature.
It's not just for stop light / stop sign. It's for everything that follows and the HW3 upgrade. So you'll spend $5,000 because you tried to save $2,000. Also, for all non-FSD customers, Between the lines of what Musk has said, this year's upgrade will be largely rolling out FSD features. So, as the saying goes, "Be there or be talked about".

That sounds like it is traffic visualizations. (They just don't put green for no/light traffic.)
Thanks Mike, either I am not terribly observant or it's new with 19.8.3. As I've said elsewhere, I spent 45+ years in software development. For release notes we always covered fixed bugs and every new feature. What I am seeing in the 4 months of ownership is Tesla release notes are just what they consider the marque feature(s) like doggie mode. It's truly embarrassing how terse their release notes are.

Off topic, sorta, but I am wondering about something for awhile that may have been answered elsewhere and I just missed it. When we get an OTA update but skipped over some earlier updates, should we assume the latest update includes the previous ones? For example, if I were to get the 2019.9 updates and my previous version was 2019.5.15, would or should I have everything that was included in 2019.8.3? Figure since there are several here that are discussing and following the firmware/software issues that someone would be able to answer my confusion on this.

So, great leap with 19.8.3!

I did not think they'd be this careless, but Tesla brought early gifts!

As of 19.8.3 the car can now detect and stop for red lights and stop signs (no video of that yet).

I have proof!

Now, I am not sayoing YOUR car can do it, and for a good reason, it's not very robust yet and misdetects the light at times. But it's still great progress that I did not expect to see this early.

Consider this early preview.

Times of interest: 6:26 - it cannot tell the light color so slows down in case it's red so it can gently stop.
at 4:05 it starts to be not sure what color it is (granted, the lighting is tricky with the sun behind us washing stuff out)
at 5:12 it nearly runs a red light and I need to intervene.

And here's the stop sign

View attachment 391026
Awesome!

Off topic, sorta, but I am wondering about something for awhile that may have been answered elsewhere and I just missed it. When we get an OTA update but skipped over some earlier updates, should we assume the latest update includes the previous ones? For example, if I were to get the 2019.9 updates and my previous version was 2019.5.15, would or should I have everything that was included in 2019.8.3? Figure since there are several here that are discussing and following the firmware/software issues that someone would be able to answer my confusion on this.
You are correct. You will have ALL features of the current software release no matter what the old software release was. Not to worry.

The real limiting factor is hardware, you obviously can't upgrade hardware over the air so if a new feature requires newer hardware you won't get that feature.

You are correct. You will have ALL features of the current software release no matter what the old software release was. Not to worry.

The real limiting factor is hardware, you obviously can't upgrade hardware over the air so if a new feature requires newer hardware you won't get that feature.
So anything like 5% power increase that came out with 18.3 would already be included in .9 without actually getting 18.3 first?

But a higher version number does not always include the features in every lower version number. For example 2019.8.x and 2019.9.x don't include the V3 Supercharger support and on-route battery heating that is included in 2019.7.11.

TESLA SOFTWARE SEEMS SMARTER THAN ITs DRIVERS.
Ok, what I mean by that comment is I am amazed at seeing on various forum websites how drivers go out and film what the car does (testing). They drive 50+ mph in 35 mph zones to see if the car is going to stop at a traffic light and when it doesn't, they slam on the brakes and sometimes end up in the middle of an intersection. Then they try again at even faster speeds. I wonder if it is really that important to take those risks to get their 3 minutes of fame on a web site.

I'm not referring to VeryGreen whom I think is a really smart, responsible person and does his filming in a safe manner. Those videos are helpful and appreciated. It's a bunch of the other ones out there that have me looking closely before crossing the street to see if it is another Tesla driver. If so, I just wait until they pass me :D

Now, attempt at sarcastic humor whom someone will undoubtedly take seriously... :rolleyes:
Maybe Tesla should force drivers to agree to terms on the screen before allowing redlight and stopsign notifications to work. I suggest the following....... "You understand that Tesla is not responsible for your stupidity and dangerous acts of unofficially testing features by driving 60 mph in a school zone to see if your Tesla will do something it clearly states it will not do. Click here to agree you are ignorant and accept the conditions anyway" :eek:

Last edited:

Well now, let's clarify that a little. There are situations where a previous feature might be greatly modified (as to be almost completely different) or even temporarily removed until further refined. No often happens, but does from time to time.

Thanks Mike, either I am not terribly observant or it's new with 19.8.3. As I've said elsewhere, I spent 45+ years in software development. For release notes we always covered fixed bugs and every new feature. What I am seeing in the 4 months of ownership is Tesla release notes are just what they consider the marque feature(s) like doggie mode. It's truly embarrassing how terse their release notes are.

I couldn’t agree more. I spent 17 years involved with SW development and using the products. Comprehensive release notes were painful to write, but enormously helpful to keep track of what we were getting and what was done when. Starting with “this affects how your car behaves” or “these are safety related” and then other categories for the terminally curious would be helpful. I suppose everything car related could be considered safety related.... but really, a more comprehensive release notes would help.... even if it was just a link to where you you could find them.

Off topic, sorta, but I am wondering about something for awhile that may have been answered elsewhere and I just missed it. When we get an OTA update but skipped over some earlier updates, should we assume the latest update includes the previous ones? For example, if I were to get the 2019.9 updates and my previous version was 2019.5.15, would or should I have everything that was included in 2019.8.3? Figure since there are several here that are discussing and following the firmware/software issues that someone would be able to answer my confusion on this.[/QUOT
So if that is true, how would we get the updates that we may have missed?
If I had to take a guess I would hope @MP3Mike was wrong as that would guarantee people would never have identical software in their cars. I offer two possible rationales for that belief.
1) some people get early or limited-beta features perhaps based on type of car 3 vs S HW1 HW2 HW2.5.
2) Their release notes suck, they do not include everything they changed. Release notes should always include
a) every bug fixed
b) every feature added

I have seen where people guess at the nomenclature of release levels, typically in software it's Version, Release, Modification, and fix level. That does not appear to be Tesla's nomenclature.

I'm not 100% positive but that is what people have said. People that got 2019.7.11 tended to be near the beta V3 Superchargers and have been complaining that they aren't getting newer updates even though they would prefer the other features over the V3 Supercharger support.
I could see Tesla pushing a specific update to a select few that they have chosen to beta test a demo feature that won't be widely released until more v3 superchargers are out but it seems like there should be a way to see if our cars have a specific update feature without actually testing for it. Like this red light/stop sign issue. I know it hasn't been released yet but when it does get released in a specific OTA update number, if we skipped that number, we should or shouldn't assume we have it without actually testing for it. Some things are easy to tell, such as Sentry Mode showing up as available in the car and on the app but others like a 5% power increase aren't as easily detectable.
Even charging capabilities such as v3. Should we have to drive to a supercharger and plug in to see if it has been unlocked in our car? Even the higher level charge rate of 145 instead of 120, how would we know if we skipped that OTA without testing it out? The release notes are pretty lacking or even non-existent some cases.

Last edited:
I am in California and about to drive my jun 2017 build (I presume that means HW 2.0) S 100D to British Columbia Canada. I installed 19.8.3 a couple days ago. Let’s pretend some level of the traffic lights/stop sign recognition is working (the release notes indicate they MAY). When I cross the boarder to Canada, should I expect these features to be locked out?

No, I have not tested them locally yet. But I shall and report back sans video.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, where do you folks get your detailed release note information? Are you hacking into the software and looking at the comments? ...:)

Reactions: JeffnReno