Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced charging current after FW upgrade V5.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So that would be me! I am very happy to be charging at 3x16A again! It works flawlessly, seems to take a bit longer to build up than it used to, and because I charged at 3x13A at so many locations I will need to remind myself to manually increase the current to 16A everywhere (too bad that still can't be done remotely). But it's working!
uhava7ys.jpg
Why do you need to increase it? If you didn't set the current manually it will go to whatever the pilot signal tells the car.

My car charged at 32A where it previously charged at 26A.

Btw, I noticed I got a firmware upgrade. I know have v5.9 with .96 at the end while I had .94

Why do you need to increase it? If you didn't set the current manually it will go to whatever the pilot signal tells the car.

My car charged at 32A where it previously charged at 26A.

Btw, I noticed I got a firmware upgrade. I know have v5.9 with .96 at the end while I had .94

I guess both places where I tried, I have occasionally lowered the charge rate during the past 6 months. When I do a range charge, and also during the winter cold, I usually set the charge rate so that charging ends just before I need to leave in the morning. When bringing the charge rate back up, I obviously couldn't set it higher than 13A - so that's what it remembered, I guess..

NOTE: Do not start calling your service centers! The parts are in backorder and it will take some time before they are available!
Very glad to hear there is finally a fix for this. I do hope they have the parts for me before the end of June as I miss the extra km/hr charge rate I used to get back in October last year. It makes long trips very long. Although Tesla is welcome to surprise me and add those SCs to the NL-UK route instead. :wink:

So I noticed something different!

Before the upgrade I could always set the max current to 80A before a cable was plugged in.

Obviously, when the car would get a Pilot Signal it would go down to the current advertised by the Control Pilot.

But now I can't set the current to anything higher then 32A, even without a CP present.

So I'm wondering if my car can still charge a >32A single-phase.

Not that I really care, but just wondering.

Do you believe that euro-spec cars have ever been able to charge at >32A single phase?
Yes, there is a picture of the forum member 'nlc' where he charges at 60A single-phase.

The Tesla website says the same: Model S Specs and Standard Features | Tesla Motors

11 kW capable on-board charger with the following input compatibility: 85-265 V, 45-65 Hz, 1 phase 40A or 3 phase 16A (Optional 22 kW capable Twin Chargers increases three phase input to 32A and single phase input compatibility to 80A)

Thanks! I ought to go and look at the french-language forums more often: TMC doesn't show them to me by default.

It will be interesting to see if the UK cars (which have been promised to do 32A single-phase on a single charger car without the special wiring) can also do >32A dual charger with standard wiring. Also whether the UK cars are in fact special, or if that change is part of the same fix as the 26A->32A problem.

So I noticed something different!

Before the upgrade I could always set the max current to 80A before a cable was plugged in.

Obviously, when the car would get a Pilot Signal it would go down to the current advertised by the Control Pilot.

But now I can't set the current to anything higher then 32A, even without a CP present.

So I'm wondering if my car can still charge a >32A single-phase.

Not that I really care, but just wondering.

@Widodh: As you have the 26->32amp fix and I don't would it be possible for you to ask Tesla if with the 32amp fix we will loose >32amp single phase charging ?
Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, that result was with @nlc's custom wallbox that routed the single phase power to all power pins on the inlet. My understanding was that the hardware change in the "fix" was supposed to allow the car to do that internally when the single phase is fed in on a single pin, which is the proper way according to the standards.

If I'm not mistaken, that result was with @nlc's custom wallbox that routed the single phase power to all power pins on the inlet. My understanding was that the hardware change in the "fix" was supposed to allow the car to do that internally when the single phase is fed in on a single pin, which is the proper way according to the standards.

Do we know that the 13/26A -> 16/32A fix also fixes the 16/32A-per-pin issue at the same time?

In the UK, Tesla were still trying to get rewired EVSE to customers with single charger cars up until about May 15th when the policy changed to use standard EVSE (and presumably a fix in the car, though not admitted since the cars haven't been delivered yet). Surely they wouldn't have been messing around with EVSE if they knew a fix was right around the corner?

I called the Amsterdam Service Center to confirm this with them and they said that a European Model S is not able to charge with any higher current then 32A on a single phase.

I gave him the example of nlc who is charging on 60A single phase, but he said that was impossible with a EU Model S.

The reason that I could set the current to 80A before my fix was due to a software difference between the US and EU version, but officially it's 32A he said.

I pointed him to the website which states something different, he said that was false and has to be fixed.

I don't believe him, but I don't have a setup where I can test 60A single-phase.

Any one actually been offered/had installed the 26>32amp fix yet ? I miss the extra 20% rate of charge I had back in October :crying:

I went to the Tesla Service center in Brussels today and they asked me to call back in 3 weeks as then, they should have received the new cables and have the time (too busy with deliveries right now) to replace it in my MS.