Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see the updated pricing in my account for AP (still $3500). Since I took delivery on 2/23/2019, I am currently during the initial EAP trial and cannot order it from the car.

I hope that I will still be able to buy AP at $2k once the trial ends in 20 days.

I don't see the updated pricing in my account for AP (still $3500). Since I took delivery on 2/23/2019, I am currently during the initial EAP trial and cannot order it from the car.

I hope that I will still be able to buy AP at $2k once the trial ends in 20 days.

I am in the exact same situation. To test, I cancelled my trial and I'll see if the reduced price shows online. I'll report back what I find.

No, it's much worse then that because it refers to "ALL" tesla's ever sold would get lighted vanity mirrors retrofitting for "free" once they were "ready", I guess in 2018 they were deemed ready because they started appearing on model S's. Ask how many people got free lighted vanity mirror upgrades that were promised to them back in 2012?

I'll answer for you 0.

Ok.

it still has nothing whatsoever to do with autopilot features- so it continues to be completely irrelevant to the topic.

So, if mirrors costing ~$300 aren't being retrofitted, you really think Tesla is going to drop $1k on a new computer and drop it in for you?

Yes, because the company repeatedly and explicitly confirmed they would do so if you bought FSD.

including on official investor calls the SEC would be reviewing, and as recently as just a few days ago.

Which is a far cry from "an offhand mention in a blog that someday they would re-add a cosmetic feature that came with the car when they'd only sold a very few cars in the first place back in 2012"

In fact- that blog was posted when they had 50 Model S cars built.

Total.

In the entire world.

And not all of those were in the hands of the public at the time.

So by all means if the couple dozen Model S cars that were actually sold with lighted mirrors in the advertised spec before the removed it in August 2012 want to demand a retrofit I'd 100% support their right to get it.

FSD on the other hand, from the start of sale, and up through today, is promising specific abilities that require HW3 to be in the car. And tesla has repeatedly confirmed all such buyers would get it (since it's literally impossible to otherwise deliver what was sold)

So yes, I expect all those cars to get the HW3 swap.

I'd bet money on it in fact.

Oh and as for the AP1 stuff, Elon also "tweeted" that AP1 would not be left behind and it would continue to receive AP updates, they never got any except for increased nags.

Weird... this thread (and tons of others) mention AP1 cars continuing to improve and get things added well after AP2 came out...

Autopilot 1 hardware and updates | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
FSD that was advertised prior to being removed from the menu has been identified as requiring HW3.0, and Elon has made it known retrofits would be required.

This assertion, to my knowledge, has not been made since FSD has come back on the configurator. Do we have any proof that FSD (as advertised in 2018) is equivalent to FSD (as advertised now in 2019)?

In my opinion the promises of FSD seem to be scaled back on the current configuration page in comparison to what was advertised previously. This combined with the price changes, makes me strongly suspect that those purchasing FSD since it was pulled off the menu will not be receiving a free HW3.0 retrofit.

FSD that was advertised prior to being removed from the menu has been identified as requiring HW3.0, and Elon has made it known retrofits would be required.

This assertion, to my knowledge, has not been made since FSD has come back on the configurator. Do we have any proof that FSD (as advertised in 2018) is equivalent to FSD (as advertised now in 2019)?

In my opinion the promises of FSD seem to be scaled back on the current configuration page in comparison to what was advertised previously. This combined with the price changes, makes me strongly suspect that those purchasing FSD since it was pulled off the menu will not be receiving a free HW3.0 retrofit.

You mean besides the fact that Elon explicitly said just a few days ago that all FSD buyers will get the HW3 upgrade free for the long term?

You mean besides the fact that Elon explicitly said just a few days ago that all FSD buyers will get the HW3 upgrade free for the long term?

One of these days I’ll figure out Twitter. Link? Also, I think someone pointed out that Elon’s tweets are not contractually binding.

Will I be forking over $2k though? Yea, probably. Gah I’m a sucker, but the thought of others getting a sweet FSD update and not me is rough.

Reactions: radiocycle
The SEC seems to believe otherwise.

And the tweet has been posted a number of times already, but here it is yet again

Elon Musk on Twitter

It's from March 2.

4 days ago.

HW3 upgrade for everyone who bought FSD.
I appreciate the link. I do recall seeing that now, but at the time I decided it was to ambiguous/open to interpretation.

If it was such a certainty, why wouldn't HW3.0 be mentioned at all in the official statement on Tesla.com?

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Don't get me wrong, I want to believe. I just don't want to get fooled for a twice time.

Reactions: Runnergirl
"It’s not exactly symmetric, but it will come with HW3 upgrade long-term." This was in response to someone pointing out the differences in total prices paid between the 3 different groups.

FWIW, I interpreted this tweet differently when I first read it, and I think I still do. I think he means that "symmetry" will come long-term with the HW3 upgrades. Implying that those who purchased FSD under the old definition will get the upgrade for free, and that those buying the "new" FSD today at a discount may not.

Otherwise, his use of "long-term" in this context doesn't really make sense.

Reactions: Jason_G
"It’s not exactly symmetric, but it will come with HW3 upgrade long-term." This was in response to someone pointing out the differences in total prices paid between the 3 different groups.

FWIW, I interpreted this tweet differently when I first read it, and I think I still do. I think he means that "symmetry" will come long-term with the HW3 upgrades. Implying that those who purchased FSD under the old definition will get the upgrade for free, and that those buying the "new" FSD today at a discount may not.

That makes no sense at all.

The symmetry is directly in reply to the price of the upgrade. The question he's directly replying to was pointing out the "new" pricing isn't "exactly" half the old pricing as was previously implied.

It has nothing to do with hardware.

The mention of hardware is pointing out the value you're getting with either pricing.

His use of long term only makes sense if going forward the upgrades continue to apply.

Not to mention they literally can not deliver FSD if the car doesn't have HW3.

So it's impossible not to upgrade the vehicles that need it who buy the feature.

So there's that.

Reactions: burnside

I interpreted it to mean that those who bought it for eight grand over the last few years will be first in line even if there are no new features to make use of the new hardware.

Then the second group will get hardware as the software starts bumping up against the new AP/FSD boundaries (stoplight detection etc).

The rest of us clowns will get the hardware in the third wave, when the hardware is *required* to get rolled-out and usable FSD features. It’ll probably be a while.

I appreciate the link. I do recall seeing that now, but at the time I decided it was to ambiguous/open to interpretation.

If it was such a certainty, why wouldn't HW3.0 be mentioned at all in the official statement on Tesla.com?

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Don't get me wrong, I want to believe. I just don't want to get fooled for a twice time.

Why would it?

new cars soon will come with HW3 anyway. Anyone who paid for a feature requiring HW3 (FSD) will get the upgrade for free.

Bringing it up at all would just confuse people further.

(especially since they appear to still be confused even after Elon has directly told them multiple times it comes free)

The whole point is it does not matter which HW your Model 3 comes with (which Elon also pointed out when someone asked if they need to "wait" for a HW3 car to be able to buy FSD).

He pointed out it didn't matter because if you buy FSD on a HW2.x car you get HW3 anyway.

If you buy FSD you'll have HW3 when you need it for FSD features... either from the factory or with a free upgrade.

Why would it?

new cars soon will come with HW3 anyway. Anyone who paid for a feature requiring HW3 (FSD) will get the upgrade for free.

Bringing it up at all would just confuse people further.

(especially since they appear to still be confused even after Elon has directly told them multiple times it comes free)

The whole point is it does not matter which HW your Model 3 comes with (which Elon also pointed out when someone asked if they need to "wait" for a HW3 car to be able to buy FSD).

He pointed out it didn't matter because if you buy FSD on a HW2.x car you get HW3 anyway.

If you buy FSD you'll have HW3 when you need it for FSD features... either from the factory or with a free upgrade.

If that is the case, then $2k for me seems reasonable. I fully anticipate that once FSD features/updates hit and demand increases, that pricing will increase to at most the $5k post order I originally accepted.

That makes no sense at all.

The symmetry is directly in reply to the price of the upgrade. The question he's directly replying to was pointing out the "new" pricing isn't "exactly" half the old pricing as was previously implied.

It has nothing to do with hardware.

The mention of hardware is pointing out the value you're getting with either pricing.

His use of long term only makes sense if going forward the upgrades continue to apply.

Not to mention they literally can not deliver FSD if the car doesn't have HW3.

So it's impossible not to upgrade the vehicles that need it who buy the feature.

So there's that.

It's not impossible; SOME upcoming FSD features (such as advanced summon) may not require a hardware upgrade. At the point where the hardware upgrade is REALLY required (wherever that is) they could be like "OK, we're going to to deliver these features to your car, but you're going to need a $1500 hardware upgrade to be able to use them."

I'm not saying that interpretation is necessarily correct, or that yours is wrong. I'm just saying that the tweet could be open to interpretation.

I have a question. If I put the $2k down for the FSD (Already have EAP) any future hardware or software updates related to AP/EAP/FSD is included at no extra cost? Do you see any terms anywhere that says they only support the upgrade for limited time for the $2k that is spend and when the timesup we got to pay more to get any future upgrades? To put that other way, does this $2k seals the FSD deal for my M3 life time?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: radiocycle
I have a question. If I put the $2k down for the FSD (Already have EAD) any future hardware or software updates related to AP/EAD/FSD is included at no extra cost? Do you see any terms anywhere that says they only support the upgrade for limited time for the $2k that is spend and when the timesup we got to pay more to get any future upgrades? To put that other way, does this $2k seals the FSD deal for my M3 life time?

Nothing is certain about FSD. By paying $2k today you're gambling that you'll get something worth that in the future. A lot of people made that gamble last year and Tesla just screwed them by dropping the FSD price. So I think this falls into the "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" bucket. Until FSD includes something immediately useful to me, I won't give Tesla a dime for it.