Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Troy’s @TroyTeslike chart. NOTE: $USD

A9DDABB3-50C2-4E82-82CC-77F9E30E8EB9.jpeg

Last edited:
EAP is worthless for the large majority of folks ... who have no interest in being an unpaid QA intern for Tesla.

Oh wait, it's worse than unpaid. I need to pay $$ to be an intern! :rolleyes:

EAP is not worthless for a majority of folks. It's actually a pretty valuable tool for anyone who finds themselves doing more than a few miles of highway driving. It's a great way to "tame" the highway environment so you (the driver) can focus on things that really matter. This is evidenced by the billions of miles people have racked up using it and the fact that most people who have tried it, like it.

I took delivery of my 3 AWD in September '18 without EAP. Tesla's blog and this thread would suggest I can purchase it now for $2,000. But it still shows up as a $4,000 option on Tesla's web site. How do you get it for $2,000?

I read pages 1 and 18. Too much babble in between.

My opinion:

I'm glad now that I never got EAP in my LR RWD 3 from May 2018. The 2 free trials were nice. I never planned to get EAP, not for $5000 at least, although I'd have paid $50 per month on a subscription plan.

Now I can whip out the credit car and get AP (new version of EAP) for only $2000. Seems like the time to do it.

This sale will only run until the end of March, Tesla is doing it to offset the losses created by making $35K Model 3's. Got to keep the stockholders happy!

Part of me says "Yeah, get it, this is by far the best price yet, and I never used the advanced features much anyhow, even in the free trials, so I won't miss them".
And part of me says "Nah, I haven't needed AP in 9 months and 22,000 miles, why spend more money now? EAP wouldn't go faster than 90 mph anyway. And the NAG is a real nag.

We'll see what happens.

Any word about increasing the nag intervals? I guess not, the recent Model 3 + side of a trailer truck thing would shut down that conversation quickly for some people, but not me.

My opinion:

I'm glad now that I never got EAP in my LR RWD 3 from May 2018. The 2 free trials were nice. I never planned to get EAP, not for $5000 at least, although I'd have paid $50 per month on a subscription plan.

Now I can whip out the credit car and get AP (new version of EAP) for only $2000. Seems like the time to do it.

This sale will only run until the end of March, Tesla is doing it to offset the losses created by making $35K Model 3's. Got to keep the stockholders happy!

Part of me says "Yeah, get it, this is by far the best price yet, and I never used the advanced features much anyhow, even in the free trials, so I won't miss them".
And part of me says "Nah, I haven't needed AP in 9 months and 22,000 miles, why spend more money now? EAP wouldn't go faster than 90 mph anyway. And the NAG is a real nag.

We'll see what happens.

Any word about increasing the nag intervals? I guess not, the recent Model 3 + side of a trailer truck thing would shut down that conversation quickly for some people, but not me.

For $2k I would get the AP, it has the most useful features and will be beneficial for resale.

But it hasn’t, right? Wasn’t it $8,000 for these buyers, and isn’t it $8,000-$11,000 for new buyers?

Sure, the price reductions for existing owners is a bit weird, and probably confused things more than necessary, but it’s hardly worth fretting over.

But that’s not a fair analogy. If you “cancelled” your pre-order today you’d be stuck buying it for more ($11k) as an add-on today.

I have no idea where you are getting your numbers but they aren't the numbers any of us on this thread are discussing and I don't think they reflect the announcements Tesla made recently about the drop in pricing for these features.

Yes, it was $8,000 for people that bought EAP ($5,000) + FW ($3,000). Now, it's $5,000 (AP = $2,000 + FSD = $3,000). The specific scenario I was describing is people that purchased EAP can now upgrade to FSD for $2,000 according to Elon's more recent tweets.

In other words Tesla seems to be throwing a bone to people that bought EAP for $5,000 but not passing that along to those who already pre-paid for FSD based on Tesla's prior statements that it would cost $4,000 if we didn't fork over the money for it at purchase time.

I have zero issues with the prices dropping -- awesome news. I've had my car since August and I'm completely comfortable with having paid $5,000 for EAP because I use it all the time. Some people seem bothered by this price drop but I just don't share their view. Again, I would think Tesla would do something for recent purchasers and I'm guessing they will (give very recent people FSD and slightly less recent something a bit more minor like some free supercharging access or something).

But they never delivered FSD. Worse, they got me to fork over money for vaporware by telling me it would save me money to do so. Now they're offering it for $2,000. I'm not aware of any other product going through a similar circumstance in which the customers that pre-paid weren't refunded the difference.

If they had delivered FSD before the price drop, I wouldn't be posting...but that isn't how this worked.

I've yet to see any tweet or publication from Tesla/Musk that says you'll get it free. Likely you'll be able to buy it for $2k.
Sometime in the nebulous future it will be a standard item. Possibly five years away. Just the same as what was optional in early 2013 is standard today. (This has nothing to do with anyone purchasing the car in the next year or three.)

I'm pretty confident that's not even a valid concern. Worst case scenario is a delay of a few months to work out bugs. It's not rocket science, it's upgraded hardware with significantly more powerful processing.
Do you have any evidence other than what Musk said to believe that it is trivial to swap? Do you have any evidence other than what Musk said that they will do the swap? If you're relying on a computer analogy (I put a new hard drive in my PC! Easy-peasy!), I suggest you might be buying the bridge.

Musk says a lot of stuff.

But anyway, I don't want to fight. I need to make the appointment for my car's ECU replacement (mine is in fact broken right now). I am looking forward to the P100D loaner from the P100D loaner fleet.

Do you have any evidence other than what Musk said to believe that it is trivial to swap? Do you have any evidence other than what Musk said that they will do the swap? If you're relying on a computer analogy (I put a new hard drive in my PC! Easy-peasy!), I suggest you might be buying the bridge.

Musk says a lot of stuff.

But anyway, I don't want to fight. I need to make the appointment for my car's ECU replacement (mine is in fact broken right now). I am looking forward to the P100D loaner from the P100D loaner fleet.

I asked the lead service technician a few days ago when I was at the tesla service center for something else this specific question:

Me - " I hear that people who purchase Full self driving option get the new Hardware version 3 computer. How hard is that to swap, exactly?"

Tesla lead service center technician (NOT advisor, the head Technician) - " Yes, thats correct about the new computer swap for people who have full self driving. We are not sure when that will happen, but are told that it will be free for those who have that option. The computer actually sits behind "here" (pointed to bottom of glove compartment area). Its not too bad to swap out. Considering time to get to it, remove / replace, put things back, and also program it.. update the firmware on it, I would say its a 1/2 day job."

So, there is someone beside elon saying that ( a person who would be directly doing it, and being in charge of other people doing it, who had no reason to lie to me about how long it would take).

Of course, he could be lying to me (I doubt it though, given how the conversation was going, we had a very cordial conversation about other things), and I am just some random guy on the internet. I believe him though on both things (that he was told it would be free for people with FSD and the time to swap).

Its also possible for things to change... for example, I am still not sure I will get the new hardware if I buy FSD when its 2k. I am convinced that those who pre bought it will, but not sure that people who buy NOW at the lower price will. I also believe that swap would be "eventually" as in next year sometime, not "soon".

I don't see an expiry date for these discounts for pre-March1 buyers in Tesla's official blog post. Where did you get that information?