Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a significant number of people, like me, who didn't buy EAP and are now expecting to buy AP for $2k. If they go back on their statement, they'll just piss off a different group of people.

I've already taken screen shots of the blog entry, and have an email response from Tesla support saying I will soon be able to order AP for $2k. Apparently it's taking a few days to update accounts with the new lower pricing. They're smoking some good stuff if they think they're not going to honor what they've advertised.
Your beef is with Tesla, not me. If Tesla shifts and makes AP/FSD $7K for all previous owners, then it's fair. It may piss you off that they said it was going to be $5K, but Tesla is going to decide who they piss off. They are trying to thread a needle here. We still have an official position, with nothing other than rumor that it might change. I think people just need to sit tight and let the other shoe drop!

Last edited:
Reactions: mdustinsy
Your beef is with Tesla, not me. If Tesla shifts and makes AP/FSD $7K for all previous owners, then it's fair. It may piss you off that they said it was going to be $5K, but Tesla is going to decide who they piss off. They are trying to thread a needle here. We still have an official position, with nothing other than rumor that it might change. I think people just need to sit tight and let the other shoe fall!

I didn't intend to blame you for passing on what you're hearing, and I understand why previous EAP (and especially EAP+FSD) buyers are annoyed. I just meant to convey that Tesla has now advertised a $2k AP price in writing and would likely have some legal issues if they try to renege.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Tesla has always been wildly optimistic/unrealistic in their future looking statements regarding autonomous driving and by collecting money for years for a feature(FSD) that only recently went into limited beta testing via employees seems not in their customer's best interest.

However to those that argue that is isn't fair somehow that Tesla said the pricing for EAP/FSD would be higher after purchase and now it isn't I find that empty. Last year EAP was 5k at vehicle purchase and 7k after purchase. That was true then but that was never meant to be in perpetuity. It was true until it wasn't true. EAP/FSD is not worth today what it was worth before due to market pressure and they have therefore lowered the price. I do hope that Telsa figures out some additional accommodations to make to those that are hardest hit by the changes. But, the new pricing is good for everyone in the long run despite creating some ill will with a subset of drivers in the short term.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Tesla has always been wildly optimistic/unrealistic in their future looking statements regarding autonomous driving and by collecting money for years for a feature(FSD) that only recently went into limited beta testing via employees seems not in their customer's best interest.

However to those that argue that is isn't fair somehow that Tesla said the pricing for EAP/FSD would be higher after purchase and now it isn't I find that empty. Last year EAP was 5k at vehicle purchase and 7k after purchase. That was true then but that was never meant to be in perpetuity. It was true until it wasn't true. EAP/FSD is not worth today what it was worth before due to market pressure and they have therefore lowered the price. I do hope that Telsa figures out some additional accommodations to make to those that are hardest hit by the changes. But, the new pricing is good for everyone in the long run despite creating some ill will with a subset of drivers in the short term.

So you're 100% ok with a company advertising a 100% lie? You don't think that is fraud?

Reactions: Perry and S75D
Maybe I missed it in the last 24(!) pages, but where do people see that previous owners without EAP can get AP -AND- FSD for $5K?

EDIT: Found it.

Ok, I'm getting flamed for this, but here goes!
Couldn't Tesla get out of this mess by claiming the blog had a typo?
Original:
Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000). In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Intended:
Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000). In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $2,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Gives non-EAP drivers access to AP for $2K, but FSD is unchanged for post-config purchase ($7K total)
Give EAP drivers access to FSD for $2K ($7K total)
Give EAP + FSD drivers almost nothing like before
Allows Tesla access to market that previously passed on EAP at a lower price point (it's a different product, so that's ok)

The key is the phrase "Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000". Notice the word OR in that sentence? It seems key because if the intent was to give AP/FSD for $5K wouldn't that word be an AND? The word OR makes the type plausible IMO.

In general, there's no law that requires companies to honor an advertised price if that price is wrong. Typographical errors, miscommunication and other glitches can result in items being offered at what appear to be deep discounts – discounts that would be ruinous for the company if it were forced to honor them.

Laws against false or deceptive advertising require an intent to deceive on the part of the advertiser. If a company can demonstrate that an advertised price was simply a mistake, then it's not false advertising.

No money has changed hands yet....

Last edited:
Tesla is not screwing anyone. The early adopters still have exactly what they purchased at the price they agreed to pay!

Why do some people feel so entitled? Tesla has never had a "price protection guarantee".

You mean I still NOT have what I have paid for? AKA FSD.

You know your 'Musk can do no wrong' attitude is no better than 'everything Musk does is bad' just on the opposite end of the spectrum. And a few valid arguments sometimes make just getting overshadowed by the rest of nonsense... But I guess there's a way to avoid your posts. So bye.

You mean I still NOT have what I have paid for? AKA FSD.

You know your 'Musk can do no wrong' attitude is no better than 'everything Musk does is bad' just on the opposite end of the spectrum. And a few valid arguments sometimes make just getting overshadowed by the rest of nonsense... But I guess there's a way to avoid your posts. So bye.

Oh, I never said "Musk can do no wrong", I said Tesla is not locked into never adjusting the price of their offerings based on market demand.

As to you *still* not having what you paid for, well, you're wrong there too. You paid to be one of the first people to experience FSD features as they are released. You still have that right, no one can take it away without your consent. And Tesla was not shy about disclosing the risk of development and regulatory delays. They promised no particular features on a deadline. It was clear to me as a prospective purchaser of FSD, both in May and in September, that the timeline was somewhat uncertain and the risk of delays was borne by the purchaser.

Can you look at me with a straight face and tell me you did not understand that the purchaser assumed that risk?

Reactions: fidodido
Oh, I never said "Musk can do no wrong", I said Tesla is not locked into never adjusting the price of their offerings based on market demand.

As to you *still* not having what you paid for, well, you're wrong there too. You paid to be one of the first people to experience FSD features as they are released. You still have that right, no one can take it away without your consent. And Tesla was not shy about disclosing the risk of development and regulatory delays. They promised no particular features on a deadline. It was clear to me as a prospective purchaser of FSD, both in May and in September, that the timeline was somewhat uncertain and the risk of delays was borne by the purchaser.

Can you look at me with a straight face and tell me you did not understand that the purchaser assumed that risk?

What are you doing? Geesshhh.

Can't you just leave people alone?

• Disagree
Reactions: TrumpetTitan

I fully agree the they can legally do what they want. But it doesn't mean people are not going to be upset about it.

Here is what I received from my advisor this afternoon.

The nuance is in the delivery date.

Autopilot update.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: UZJedi
Gee, I sure hope that nobody around here who is shouting from the rooftops about their indignation over a relatively small group of people (who have less disposable income in general) being offered a safety-enhancing technology at a price lower than what they paid, would also shout from the rooftops in favor of any politically-progressive policies on economics or healthcare. It wouldn't be a very good look. :rolleyes:

To be clear, the product actually being offered with a hefty discount is AP (a feature-reduced version of the EAP that those that purchased it have been enjoying for some time.) FSD is being offered at the exact same price ($3k) that everyone paid prior to last week, and it appears that most of us are still going to pass on it the second time around.

And that is where they are going to get a lawsuit by not refunding FSD pre-purchase the $3k. Stupid.
How do we know they are not going to? I mean it would be $1000 to put them on par with everyone else. This is assuming that only undelivered or recently delivered cars get the FSD for 5k, which is also because the cars dropped 2k before being delivered.

Last edited: