Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI I finally got AP+FSD unlocked this morning, had to go to a SC and provide proof of purchase. Hopefully they can take care of this automatically for everyone else, they said there appears to be a "bug" that prevented it from happening automatically, engineering had to make a change to my config last night and it showed up (with no notification) this morning.

What proof of purchase did you provide? Tesla hasn’t been sending receipts when ordering AP or FSD online.

A NEW UPDATED @TroyTeslike chart:

View attachment 384223
Good news for allot of people. Some great deals for FSD and free AP, who wouldn't want that?
They want 2k more for me tough, so they can kiss my piss. I'll probably wait for a trial first, which will probably be years out anyways. We will see. I don't like the different prices for different buyers policy, I understand the kick back for recent sales, but why do I have to pay more than other people who purchased the car at the same time? Too bad there isn't someone I can talk to, to haggle down the price.

Those features are going to cost most people 7k to 8k. Plus most people with 3s are affected by the price drop as well.
I agree. They botched the whole rollout. Some people are making out better than others. Price drops should have been done to match tax breaks and no one would have complained and everything would have been fair. I agree it is super messed up to offer early access to people who paid $8k, but it is also super messed up to drop a price so much overnight without warning or a plan to retroactively compensate at least recent buyers. The fact that Tesla didn’t see the impact of what they were doing is the strangest part of all.

I am initiating my complaints to government agencies to investigate Tesla on these two areas.
* Bait and switch - You pay for a feature that never is fully functional - EAP components like Auto-steering are still in BETA. You pay for a product that never fully works.
* Misleading Advertising and labeling - Tesla encourages you to pay for a feature now, because if you want it later it costs much higher. However this we know it is not true.

Money back claim for EAP - I have initiated a money back claim for EAP with Tesla, as I seriously doubt it is worth the cost for the 5 years I keep this car. I called Tesla yesterday and put in my request for a money back. They said there is a cooling of period of 30 days beyond which they cannot entertain refund. I argued that, the package they sold (in canada its $6,600) is still in BETA and I have refrained from using it. Tesla only has a point if the cooling off period was for a fully functional product(GA general availability). Lets see where this goes.

Here in America land, no one forced me to purchase anything.

FYI I finally got AP+FSD unlocked this morning, had to go to a SC and provide proof of purchase. Hopefully they can take care of this automatically for everyone else, they said there appears to be a "bug" that prevented it from happening automatically, engineering had to make a change to my config last night and it showed up (with no notification) this morning.

I purchased it Wednesday morning. Still don't have it. I got excited because I had a software update last night but turned out not to be autopilot. They did say "within 3 days" though, so I guess I should wait until tomorrow morning...

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Like many others I’m becoming overwhelmed with the magnitude and pace of change for Tesla products/features. Having said that I’m actually pretty pleased with my new choices. I bought my M3 LR RWD last year with delivery in late November. I paid for upgraded 19” wheels at the time, passed on EAP, making my purchase price $50,500 (basic black color) pre destination and tax fees. I also got the full $7500 tax credit.

I was a bit surprised and mildly ticked off that the current price of my M3 today (equipped as I originally ordered it, and adjusting for the tax credit change) was about $3,000 less than my original price. I chalked it up to early adopters cost and was OK with Tesla’s decision to expand sales and keep the company solvent.

When I got the EAP 30 day trial last year I liked the TACC feature and auto braking, but found auto lane change and navigate on autopilot “works in progress” and not features I’d comfortably use. I was unsure about the self driving “stay in lane” feature, but overall liked that ability. I didn’t want to spend the extra money when I bought the car initially, and felt that overall I made the right choices about options, and hoped to be able to buy the features I liked “a la carte” at some point in the future. Well, that time is here.

For $2,000, plus tax, I get the features I found most useful, and also gained added range for free (soon to be 325 miles instead of the original 310), and acceleration will apparently improve with 0-60 times dropping to 5.0 seconds, an insignificant, but fun, performance upgrade. I also have closed the gap on today’s pricing differential on a similarly equipped M3 configured as I would order a new car right now.

I realize I’ve disproportionately benefitted from Tesla’s new pricing and feature options, but for me I’m very pleased. I would likely feel very differently if I made different configuration choices initially. I agree that some of Tesla’s pricing decisions seem very difficult to understand, but I would assume that more changes are coming. Let’s see what develops. Tesla has little reason to antagonize their clients. I’d likely be really upset if I owned a S/X, especially a smaller battery pack version of either. Add to that the new V3 charging benefits for M3 owners and Tesla has a lot of goodwill to restore for a lot of their clients.

Summon just showed up on my Tesla App. So I guess I got it. I ordered Tuesday 7am EST.
Called my local SC and told them if they could look into why it's not available yet (FSD) so she made an appointment for me so they can do a remote diag on the car and she also said she would escalate it to engineering at HQ. I guess that call to SC helped. I did this based on BMB3's post above.

For $2,000, plus tax, I get the features I found most useful, and also gained added range for free (soon to be 325 miles instead of the original 310),

Pretty sure you (and me) will not get any actual range increase. LR RWD 3s have always had more range than AWD 3s (334 vs 310 by EPA measurements). This is just a cosmetic change to bring the battery meter more in line with reality.

Reactions: amoney805
"Customers who have purchased Full Self-Driving in the past will be invited to our Early Access Program so long as space in the program is available?"

WTF??? Even more gotchas now?

Exhibit #2 from Reddit: PSA: Tesla support throws doubt on Early Access Program for early FSD purchasers : teslamotors

I emailed Tesla support asking about how to enroll in the Early Access Program (EAP), since I was a sucker supporter who pre-purchased FSD in 2018, which according to this Tesla blog post qualifies for EAP.

This was the response:

First

Thank you for contacting Tesla with your interest in joining our software testing program. The Early Access program is invitation-only and participants are specifically chosen for evaluation. Therefore it's not open enrollment. Please check your email for the invitation. If you are chose to participate, you will receive an email.

Not a hard "no", but a little cold / pessimistic for someone who is, per the blog post's claims, 100% qualified...

Second

I agree the blog post is very vague, but we had internal follow up communication that states, what I emailed you earlier (that EAP invitees are for a small, select group of testers and is invite-only). I apologize if it causes confusion, but for Early Access Program select few participants will be invited via email for participation. Please monitor your email for the updates.

Regards, Anichka | Tesla Support

... again, the use of "small group" seems to conflict with the idea that a few thousand early buyers people might be joining the EAP.

Thoughts? I'm now a little PO'd since this would mean zero conciliation prize for being an early supporter.

Thoughts? I'm now a little PO'd since this would mean zero conciliation prize for being an early supporter.

I am guessing the folks who had the early access program idea didn’t talk to the people actually running the program before writing the blog post. Classic Tesla communication I suppose.

Sigh. At this point I am resigned to the idea that my $3k may have just been a donation to the tough school of “buyer beware”.

So are those that paid $8k in 2018 for EAP+FSD still SOL on the recent price cuts vs those that did not in 2018?

Its bad enough my car is now $7k cheaper new then I paid in Aug 2018, plus comes with track mode and a $5k Performance package option standard (which I did take the $5k depreciation check for because my faith in the tesla customer experience drops every day - still no track mode and likely limited to 145 mph vs 165 though)

Reactions: zmarty