Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon already tweeted that attempting to reimburse everyone that perceives being wronged would destroy the company.

I'm still having a tough timing seeing the math behind the claims of their EXACT configuration being $4k-6k cheaper today. I don't intend to discredit anyone, but it would be very helpful if a line-by-line comparison were provided for their configuration. Often, I've seen people neglecting to notice that the base car price is quite a bit cheaper, but things like paint, documentation, and delivery have increased (or tax subsidies decreasing).

It's all starting to get ridiculous. I was recently told about a friend of a friend that bought an A6 at the end of the year for nearly $20k off MSRP. I wonder if Audi will pay back those that bought the car in September?

Elon already tweeted that attempting to reimburse everyone that perceives being wronged would destroy the company.

I'm still having a tough timing seeing the math behind the claims of their EXACT configuration being $4k-6k cheaper today. I don't intend to discredit anyone, but it would be very helpful if a line-by-line comparison were provided for their configuration. Often, I've seen people neglecting to notice that the base car price is quite a bit cheaper, but things like paint, documentation, and delivery have increased (or tax subsidies decreasing).

It's all starting to get ridiculous. I was recently told about a friend of a friend that bought an A6 at the end of the year for nearly $20k off MSRP. I wonder if Audi will pay back those that bought the car in September?
It’s the people that paid for a product that isn’t even available yet and people are able to pre-order that same product for less now that are the most upset

Reactions: bkmartin
You can buy a P3D AND a set of AERO rims for less than the price of P3D-. However, I still wish they would allow me to pay to upgrade mine to a P3D-, I would easily pay 5k for that (which would mean I paid thousands more than a P3D today).

The alcantra headliner is really nice, I wish my car had it. It CAN be added aftermarket for $2,200 installed though. Again, the money saved can go a long way there.

The rear window heat rejection is another one. I'm not sure that can be done aftermarket. I don't think any P's or AWD cars got that.

Wait, what? I priced out my P3D- purchased in 7/2018 and compared it to the P3D configuration today. In order to make it apples to apples, I deducted $5,000 for what Tesla previously valued the "+" configuration at, and then assumed I would buy the $2,000 FSD option available to me now since EAP and AP cannot be directly compared. This resulted observing buying my exact car today (which I cannot) would save me $550. I can live with that.

Reactions: golfpilot
It’s the people that paid for a product that isn’t even available yet and people are able to pre-order that same product for less now that are the most upset

I can totally appreciate people that purchased FSD pre 2019 being annoyed that I can now purchase it for $1k cheaper than they could. In my opinion any sort of early access program isn't worth the $1k that person would pay extra of me who didn't early adopt the FSD option.

Reactions: golfpilot
Exactly, any compensation that they provide should be worth at least that (edit due to missing quote: $1k). It would equate to ability to cancel current preorder and reorder it at current price.

The early access program is a joke. They have already limited it to available space plus even if they accept you they are under no obligation to offer you any advance firmware as they do not offer every firmware to everyone on that program. So just formally accept everyone but internally mark those memberships so they never receive any advance firmware updates and there you go. And that is assuming someone actually sees that membership as a benefit.

I will give you the math on mine.

LR AWD in black with white interior and 19" sport wheels. I still have the MSRP sheet $54,700 with the delivery fee. Purchased in January 2019.

Currently the exact same configuration with delivery is $50,700. They dropped the price on all Model 3's $2000 on January 2nd, 2019. They did this to offset the $3750 loss in tax rebate. I bought the car after that $2,000 discount. Then Tesla suddenly dropped the price $1100 more with nothing retroactive for buyers from days before. Then, Tesla dropped another $2900. That is a total difference of $4000 from early 2019 buyers. That set off a firestorm. Also, autopilot dropped from $5000 to $3000, which set off a different set of buyers. Tesla responded to all the anger by offering AP for $2K and FSD for $3K to legacy buyers. This then angered a new group who had paid $8K for FSD, something which was never delivered.

I just bought AP for $2,000. That brings my sticker price to $56,700. Right now, you can buy my same car with AP for $53,700, so I am still down $3,000. That's what people are talking about in a nut shell. :)

• Informative
Reactions: radiocycle
I will give you the math on mine.

LR AWD in black with white interior and 19" sport wheels. I still have the MSRP sheet $54,700 with the delivery fee. Purchased in January 2019.

Currently the exact same configuration with delivery is $50,700. They dropped the price on all Model 3's $2000 on January 2nd, 2019. They did this to offset the $3750 loss in tax rebate. I bought the car after that $2,000 discount. Then Tesla suddenly dropped the price $1100 more with nothing retroactive for buyers from days before. Then, Tesla dropped another $2900. That is a total difference of $4000 from early 2019 buyers. That set off a firestorm. Also, autopilot dropped from $5000 to $3000, which set off a different set of buyers. Tesla responded to all the anger by offering AP for $2K and FSD for $3K to legacy buyers. This then angered a new group who had paid $8K for FSD, something which was never delivered.

I just bought AP for $2,000. That brings my sticker price to $56,700. Right now, you can buy my same car with AP for $53,700, so I am still down $3,000. That's what people are talking about in a nut shell. :)

So, your MVPA states $56,700 prior to regional sales tax, which does not account for the $7,500 federal rebate? Then, the new draft order shows $53,700 before regional sales tax, which does not account for the $3,750 federal rebate? This would then bring the delta to: (54700-7500=49200)-(53700-3750=49950) = -$750... you are ahead of the game $750? I must be missing something.

I wished I could get post purchase discounts when prices change for many things I’ve purchased. It just doesn’t work that way.

When you bought the car, and EAP/FSD, you agreed to the price, or you wouldn’t have bought it.

If prices went up, would you give them more money post sale ?

The problem is, we're not entirely "post sale" on FSD...since it has not actually been delivered to those who bought it (or anyone else) yet

That's the part folks keep missing.

I couldn't care less if my actual car is a little cheaper today than 6 months ago. THAT happens all the time...plus I got to use the car for those 6 months.

But FSD? I paid more than others are getting it for today, and still have no received the product

In every other case I can think of in every other company in the world and every other product in the world I'd be able to get a refund of the difference on a pre-order still not delivered, or at least cancel my preorder and buy again at the lower price.

THAT is where Tesla is screwing the early adopters of FSD.

So, your MVPA states $56,700 prior to regional sales tax, which does not account for the $7,500 federal rebate? Then, the new draft order shows $53,700 before regional sales tax, which does not account for the $3,750 federal rebate? This would then bring the delta to: (54700-7500=49200)-(53700-3750=49950) = -$750... you are ahead of the game $750? I must be missing something.

I'm guessing if he bought in January 2019, he is not entitled to the $7,500 rebate.

The problem is, we're not entirely "post sale" on FSD...since it has not actually been delivered to those who bought it (or anyone else) yet

That's the part folks keep missing.

I couldn't care less if my actual car is a little cheaper today than 6 months ago. THAT happens all the time...plus I got to use the car for those 6 months.

But FSD? I paid more than others are getting it for today, and still have no received the product

In every other case I can think of in every other company in the world and every other product in the world I'd be able to get a refund of the difference on a pre-order still not delivered, or at least cancel my preorder and buy again at the lower price.

THAT is where Tesla is screwing the early adopters of FSD.

Fair enough. Valid point.

How long will they honor the FSD price? Or is it forever?
No idea. They aren't promising anything in that regard. However, I'm in no rush to buy. Down the road there will actually be some features that make it worth buying, and I'm sure they will want those who held out to give them some cash. Even if this deal expires, I suspect it will become available to me again eventually, and maybe even a better one.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I'm bumping this up.....I also purchased AP but can't figure out the directions to understand when it's actually downloaded??

I saw the note about the "Driver Assistance" settings page in the after-purchase instructions. I'm not sure if that's some outdated terminology, or what. Once TACC and Autosteer are active, you should see settings for them in the Autopilot settings page.

People are in a nutshell talking about this?o_O

IMHO, if they talk about this for more than about 2 1/2 minutes they need to climb out of that nutshell and check into a nut house!:D

Because life is too short to worry if your neighbor got a better deal than you did. :cool:

I saw the note about the "Driver Assistance" settings page in the after-purchase instructions. I'm not sure if that's some outdated terminology, or what. Once TACC and Autosteer are active, you should see settings for them in the Autopilot settings page.

thanks, I'm thinking the options will show up also under the speed readout, I recall seeing that during my 30 day trial.

Here are possible options for @elonmusk to not piss off people that INVESTED in #FSD under the WRITTEN website promise that the price would go UP not DOWN for a yet UNDELIVERED #FSD product. It’s not about the price of the car, it’s about TRUSTING Tesla will do what they say.

- Credit for FUTURE Tesla purchase. It wouldn’t “bankrupt the company”. Credit for new car software like #FSD or #EAP which doesn’t cost Tesla anything, but would be worth real money for users. Plus Tesla sells ANOTHER car.
- TrackMode or some performance enhancement mode (remember AWD cars have SOME of the hardware (extra motor only), but not all (shocks, spoiler etc), so the performance people will not be pissed that they paid extra.
- Some kind of REAL Early Access Program, something that actually matters. I STILL don’t have Sentury and nonFSD+EAP; buddy has had for over a week.
- Actual rebate
- Period of free supercharging
- Free Tesla Sentury video streaming so we can check on status of parked cars (in LA it’s important)
- Let us REFUND the FSD and then let us rebuy at current price.
- Some Features that are unique to the “Premium Full Self Driving”
- A credit towards “super performance” upgrade. IF I had known that FSD was a joke, then I would have rather gotten the Performance. I think Tesla will offer to swap one of the motors, and add coil springs for $X.XX cost in the future. Why not offer an upgrade choice? AGAIN, more money for Tesla; I pay way more than cost to upgrade, I still get my credit towards the higher margin cost of upgrade.

Or @elonmusk could just start being consistent. The while point of the @tesla sales model is TO KEEP IT SIMPLE and FAIR, so EVERYONE pays the same price for the same product. And then wouldn’t it be nice to NOT TO HAVE waste time TO RESEARCH this whole issue in the first place and have no reason for this whole thread and we could focus on how much we love our cars, despite the crappy Tesla service?

Reactions: Jason_G and kgclark
I did NOT get the $7500 rebate. I get $3750, the same exact rebate as someone who buys today for $4000 less. The difference is $4000.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason_G
People are in a nutshell talking about this?o_O

IMHO, if they talk about this for more than about 2 1/2 minutes they need to climb out of that nutshell and check into a nut house!:D

Because life is too short to worry if your neighbor got a better deal than you did. :cool:
Again, it only matters to you if $4,000 is a lot of money to you. My GoPro went on sale for $50 less than I bought it. $50 is not a lot of money to me so I didn't care, didn't bat an eye. My Tesla went on sale right after I bought it and the discount was $4,000. That is a lot of money to me so of course it got my attention.

Reactions: bkmartin