Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I recall correctly, Autopilot was announced in between when I ordered June 2014 and took delivery December 2014 of my Model S, so at the time I was very interested in its capabilities. I also recall Elon saying that within 3 years they would be making cars with hardware capable of FSD, but I don’t have any links to the proof of my recollection. I‘m fairly certain that there was no FSD promise for AP1 but all later versions thereafter there were promises of FSD or at least a hardware upgrade to make FSD possible.
My reading of the current announcement is that AP2&3 will still be FSD capable but AP4 will just be better.
My 5c.

For the archives....

IMG-20221229-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Autopilot was announced in between when I ordered June 2014 and took delivery December 2014 of my Model S, so at the time I was very interested in its capabilities. I also recall Elon saying that within 3 years they would be making cars with hardware capable of FSD, but I don’t have any links to the proof of my recollection. I‘m fairly certain that there was no FSD promise for AP1 but all later versions thereafter there were promises of FSD or at least a hardware upgrade to make FSD possible.
My reading of the current announcement is that AP2&3 will still be FSD capable but AP4 will just be better.
My 5c.
I agree the marketting term FSD was not used for AP1. Its up to the individual how they interpreted the written material on autopilot presented by the company at the time, which is always easier in hindsight.

Referring to earlier discussions, now seems even more irrelevant, Autopilot 4.0 is a completely different form factor , so no retrofits... Only early reports, don't shoot me, links to source below:

Then Tesla is going to have a legal issue, from me at least.

I was promised the hardware on my X will continue to be upgraded at no cost to to me to achieve FSD, not some half baked version that will be AP3.0 since now AP4.0 will be required to get truely FSD....you watch Tesla say that 4.0 is truely needed to full FSD...well I was sold FSD and it b*&^@y well better support it when it is released and on whatever b*&^@y version of AP is require to true achieve it.

Reactions: (crunch)
Then Tesla is going to have a legal issue, from me at least.

I was promised the hardware on my X will continue to be upgraded at no cost to to me to achieve FSD, not some half baked version that will be AP3.0 since now AP4.0 will be required to get truely FSD....you watch Tesla say that 4.0 is truely needed to full FSD...well I was sold FSD and it b*&^@y well better support it when it is released and on whatever b*&^@y version of AP is require to true achieve it.
Elon has already said ap 3.0 is sufficient for FSD but 4.0 will be safer. If you read the twitter thread in detail the main hardware is the same just more cameras and some parts have extra redundancy if they dont work.

Time will tell if any of that is true

Elon has already said ap 3.0 is sufficient for FSD but 4.0 will be safer. If you read the twitter thread in detail the main hardware is the same just more cameras and some parts have extra redundancy if they dont work.

Time will tell if any of that is true

Yes...so $10k for software that is yet to be rolled out, purchased the software as I was promised the hardware would always be upgraded and now I am meant to take the more unsafe version when Tesla eventually release it here in Australia because they're indeed not going to upgrade my hardware? Seriously?

Point on redundancy; example: sunlight hits the side camera and one sees the message reduced blah blah message pop up...this is not just redundancy for the extra camera's, extra processing power will be required to be real FSD...there is NO WAY in hell Tesla are doing this unless it's "needed"...that's plain and simply the truth.

I'll run that one in court, no problem at all...

Yes...so $10k for software that is yet to be rolled out, purchased the software as I was promised the hardware would always be upgraded and now I am meant to take the more unsafe version when Tesla eventually release it here in Australia because they're indeed not going to upgrade my hardware? Seriously?

Point on redundancy; example: sunlight hits the side camera and one sees the message reduced blah blah message pop up...this is not just redundancy for the extra camera's, extra processing power will be required to be real FSD...there is NO WAY in hell Tesla are doing this unless it's "needed"...that's plain and simply the truth.

I'll run that one in court, no problem at all...
“More unsafe” ≠ not safe

Reactions: bingbung00
Thanks for the great news.

And by the time they launch here I can safely say there will be at least one (more likely two) more price cuts too. Remember they cut numerous costs out of the car with the refresh and the LR was at $69k and the P at ~$95k prior.