Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think there is any hope to receive model X delivery by the end of 2021.

The model 3 sales is about 10x of model s in 2020 in the US: 206,500 vs 20,301. The model Y is said to sell even better than model 3. If I were Elon Musk, I would just double down on the production line of the two models and maximize the throughput, especially given the whole global shipping system is at risk, focusing on less things is way easier than trying to make us whining model x buyers happy.
I hope you’re wrong. They have to build at least a handful of Plaids before end of Q4 to show that the Model X is still part of the Tesla lineup.

The model 3 sales is about 10x of model s in 2020 in the US: 206,500 vs 20,301. The model Y is said to sell even better than model 3. If I were Elon Musk, I would just double down on the production line of the two models and maximize the throughput, especially given the whole global shipping system is at risk, focusing on less things is way easier than trying to make us whining model x buyers happy.
So you also don’t think that making people who spend $100k+ on your product happy is an important thing to do? For many of us, this also isn’t the first time we’ve spent over $100k on Tesla’s products, and many of us were the early adopters who gave Tesla the money they needed to create the 3 and the Y. The lack of consideration or updates from Tesla is really pretty atrocious, IMO. The fact that it’s been nearly a year since they’ve manufactured a single production Model X is ridiculous. The fact that they seem to not care about S and X customers, now that the 3 and the Y are the majority of the sales is unfortunate. Things were definitely better back when it was just the S and the X. Maybe the easiest thing to do isn’t necessarily the right thing to do?

Pretty sure they don't have to do anything they don't want to lol.
Actually, they do because they're a publicly traded company and answer to the board and stockholders. However, because of that, they're keeping the board and stockholders happy by bringing in money with the 3 and Y vehicles. At this point, the S and X vehicles have become a nice cherry on top and not the main driver of profit. Sucks because everyone in this group is waiting for an X and Tesla doesn't care as much about that car as they used to 😞

Reactions: gglockner
Actually, they do because they're a publicly traded company and answer to the board and stockholders. However, because of that, they're keeping the board and stockholders happy by bringing in money with the 3 and Y vehicles. At this point, the S and X vehicles have become a nice cherry on top and not the main driver of profit. Sucks because everyone in this group is waiting for an X and Tesla doesn't care as much about that car as they used to 😞
We'll have them delivered sooner or later, when we do let's fully open the FWD drive it to 70 and see what happens 🤷🏾‍♂️
We asked @elonmusk about the possibility of getting airborne at 70MPH. But he couldn't confirm or deny it. Until then I'll just enjoy my M3P and it weather permitting my 65 Shelby Cobra.

Margins on the S and X lines are so ridiculously more than LR 3 and Y that it still makes business sense to sell the premium models. On S and X margins is how Tesla barely survived long enough to ramp up model 3 production to become what it is today. That being said I think it’s 75% chance we see first MX before January 1st.

Margins on the S and X lines are so ridiculously more than LR 3 and Y that it still makes business sense to sell the premium models. On S and X margins is how Tesla barely survived long enough to ramp up model 3 production to become what it is today. That being said I think it’s 75% chance we see first MX before January 1st.
You beat me too this comment. At $140k for a plaid S, the profit has to be way above the 3/y. So to maximize profit, don't you produce as many as you can of these really expensive cars?

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj
You beat me too this comment. At $140k for a plaid S, the profit has to be way above the 3/y. So to maximize profit, don't you produce as many as you can of these really expensive cars?
While the margin may be bigger, the time it takes to produce a car plays a role. For example, if you can produce a car in 2 hours for 5K profit or produce another car in 4 hours for 9k profit, which would you produce more of assuming demand was the same for both?

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
While the margin may be bigger, the time it takes to produce a car plays a role. For example, if you can produce a car in 2 hours for 5K profit or produce another car in 4 hours for 9k profit, which would you produce more of assuming demand was the same for both?

But if the production line is there and you have employees hired and trained to run it, and the only question is at what % of capacity you utilize it, that changes the math a bit.

Reactions: bhzmark
True. We don’t really no CapEx costs per unit for these vehicles but probably and exercise in futility as demand for 3/Y is orders of magnitude above S/X. But with margins on premium vehicles being what they are I don’t think Tesla will just drop the X for no reason like others have suggested.

But if the production line is there and you have employees hired and trained to run it, and the only question is at what % of capacity you utilize it, that changes the math a bit.
The number of employees or tech is meaningless in the math I gave above. This is assuming that you're using the maximum thruput for each vehicle (2 hours vs 4 hours which are both examples, not real). Now, I don't think Tesla will ever drop the X or S, but the focus, from a money making perspective, will be on the product that can make the most money the fastest (assuming the demand is there). I have zero doubt we will see MXs being delivered this quarter. I could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident based on the latest data we've seen. Lets just hope something is mentioned during the earnings call.

Reactions: MoneyWiz
- Not sure if its been mentioned, but new MX order estimates are May-June.
- My LR ordered launch day still shows blank. Last showed October. Expecting Feb.
- Also a side note, while this has wait has sometimes been frustrating, these delays haven't been limited to Tesla. I waited over 18 months for my bronco (delivered in August) and my current 18' MX took 5 months. The wait will be well worth it! There is no vehicle that comes close to the X.
- Finally, I had my doubts about the yoke, but this tweet is very promising. MKBHD had complained about the yoke significantly in his first video with the car and now prefers it over a traditional wheel.
1633274972132.png

- Not sure if its been mentioned, but new MX order estimates are May-June.
- My LR ordered launch day still shows blank. Last showed October. Expecting Feb.
- Also a side note, while this has wait has sometimes been frustrating, these delays haven't been limited to Tesla. I waited over 18 months for my bronco (delivered in August) and my current 18' MX took 5 months. The wait will be well worth it! There is no vehicle that comes close to the X.
- Finally, I had my doubts about the yoke, but this tweet is very promising. MKBHD had complained about the yoke significantly in his first video with the car and now prefers it over a traditional wheel.
View attachment 717362
Agree. The yoke has been a non factor. Learned it on my plaid after a couple days. Been telling people not to let it sway their decision to buy or not

I think this is the delay, we're getting 4860 batteries.

• Disagree
Reactions: JER85 and croman
I think this is the delay, we're getting 4860 batteries.
Excellent news if true but I don't think it's realistic. Model X is not on the high priority list to use 4680 first.