Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again I am comparing it an ICE road trip. Enjoying great restaurants along the way is one of the gear perks of these long trips. Eating packed meals or grocery store meals is not a great substitute for foodies.
The difference between gas station and supercharger station is the time you spend there.
For me I stop if i need to eat, rest or charge. I can spend a bit more time for charging unlike others want least amount of time then worry with how much left in their "tank" to get to the next destination.
Tesla charging always suggest an estimate of at least 25% left when you reach your destination.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
The difference between gas station and supercharger station is the time you spend there.
For me I stop if i need to eat, rest or charge. I can spend a bit more time for charging unlike others want least amount of time then worry with how much left in their "tank" to get to the next destination.
Tesla charging always suggest an estimate of at least 25% left when you reach your destination.
This is not my experience at all. I typically see the car stating that I can continue the trip when it projects that the car will arrive with about 10% SOC.

Is it really true that the Energy screen has been removed from the X? I can't imagine any good reason to do that, as it's the single best tool to know whether you have enough charge to arrive at your destination.
There's no reason to remove it - I think they haven't built it yet. Same for the user-selectable sides of the Driver's screen. These things have existed for 10 years. What's that I hear? It'll come in an OTA update? Oh, that makes ne feel better.

I think it's the "new normal" of shoddy software development at Tesla.

Reddit just cross-posted from TMC:

Looks like it was added in 2022.12.3.

Speaking of money, when I asked my advisor about the $138k hit after tag and taxes for my MXP they had this to say:

"When you need the money for your new car – let me know and I will get it transferred to your account. DO NOT try to finance it. Houses are one thing – as the interest does qualify as a deduction – but interest on cars is not deductible. We will just cash in some of the bonds we have in the portfolio and get you the money."

They've been in the financial game for longer than I've been alive, so I trust them, but still another side of me thinks if I could get a sub 2-4% loan then wouldn't it make sense to just cough up the interest and hope the capital retained can make up for it in the long game over the life of the loan?!?
Many folks got the DCU loans at 1.25% (free money). I think they still might be below 2.0%. You need to do direct deposit and get the EV discount.

No way I could do a loan. I'd see what a ridiculous amount of money I'm spending on a car.

Reactions: msjodilynn1
Ok my partners in Model X refresh deliveries, let’s discuss the front windshield and 3 degree sunburns.
I have a fair skin and burn looking at photos of the Sun. How are you all managing the Sun since Tesla stopped including the sunshade.
Yes, I can apply Sun screen 50 uv protection so that’s covered…. What ya got people?
I did windshield 50% tint and 15% in all windows, planning to apply 30% for the windshield when i get my refresh

Reactions: IAMCCF
I get the math. In general, I agree with putting money on the market when returns are higher than interest rates. But, I have a hard time convincing myself that sticking that money into a single equity (Tesla or other) will predictably make me money over the term I would take out a loan. I have managers actively managing non-qualified money, and YTD, I am -5%. On top of that, I pay my advisor 1%. This with the background of interest rates that are higher than expected returns.

I realize this approach is really short sighted. Hopefully, the market will make a huge comeback during the life of a potential loan. But, even if it does, I'd be stuck with current interest rates (I don't plan on sticking money into DCU just to get a loan, nor do I expect rates to stay low by the time I get an actual VIN and/or vehicle).

I wish I had a crystal ball and I am trying not to time the market or make emotional decisions.

Investing and financing seems to come up ever few hundred pages, so I guess we were due for a refresher!
Right, plus with things the way they are and have been. I am not comfortable putting $130,000.00 into any stock, (because, if I panic sell within the first 365 days then hello capital gains tax)
I lost my job at the beginning of the pandemic, and it could happen as easily as it did in 2020.

I love paying cash, and knowing I own it free and clear. If everything goes to *sugar* tomorrow I know I won’t be repossessed, foreclosed, or anything else.

Ok my partners in Model X refresh deliveries, let’s discuss the front windshield and 3 degree sunburns.
I have a fair skin and burn looking at photos of the Sun. How are you all managing the Sun since Tesla stopped including the sunshade.
Yes, I can apply Sun screen 50 uv protection so that’s covered…. What ya got people?
All Windshields and Sunroofs block UV. Zero issue. I had the sunshade and never used it.
Only annoyance is the sun visors. They are really skinny and don't block much. You have to constantly move them when driving into low sun.

Having recently done a FL to AZ trip in a M3, it's definitely the food choices that were the only negative. Stopping to charge was no big deal. Driving was super easy with AP. But the food selections were atrocious. I still remember how elated I was when we stopped in Phoenix to charge and there was a Sprouts to buy actual vegetables and fruit.

By the way, don't worry about low state of charge on trips! I pulled into the Wilcox Supercharger (Deming was out of service) with 0% on the display.

Is it really true that the Energy screen has been removed from the X? I can't imagine any good reason to do that, as it's the single best tool to know whether you have enough charge to arrive at your destination.
Based on a Car & Driver test from actual full to where the 'empty' car comes to a stop, all Teslas have 'gas' in reserve, once you past zero. The bigger batteries like ours, have 20+ miles after you hit zero. It's figured into the EPA rating. I never stress when hitting or going below zero a couple miles or whatever. I know it's been proven so, that there's much more left in reserve. Its a feeling of peace, and freedom. See what I did there?

All Windshields and Sunroofs block UV. Zero issue. I had the sunshade and never used it.
Only annoyance is the sun visors. They are really skinny and don't block much. You have to constantly move them when driving into low sun.
Sun visors are perfectly tailored to work in conjunction with the sunshade. It's a perfect fit. If you don't use the shade, you're wondering wtf. Possibly the answer might be, start using the shade more often.