Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, Delivery Update 3. Some Pointers.

1. When Tesla calls to inform you to schedule a delivery appointment, be sure to ask where the car is now. They can check this on their computer list. I'm in the SE, about as far away from Fremont as you can get this side of the People's Republic of Florida. If you're told it's still @ Fremont, take heed. If they tell you to make your appointment for 3-5 days later and you're far away, it will probably not be the time frame when you actually take possession. I've bought two Teslas and have learned it takes 2 weeks minimum to get a car from Fremont to a delivery center near me in the SE, and I guess the same holds true for the NE. They have to wait for the truck to take it to a railhead, load it onto a train, and then it's up to the railroad how fast your X gets to where it's going. American railroads aren't all that fast delivering freight. Once it gets to a Tesla destination near you (in my case Birmingham, AL), they have to unload it and a truck has to come, load your X and then drive to the Delivery Center where you will actually take possession. Once the Delivery Center has it, and this came straight from my delivery center, they like to have 48-72 hours to do final prep, check it over and make it look pretty for when you arrive. This all takes 2-3 weeks. Anyone telling you that a coast to coast delivery can take place in 5-7 days is being overly optimistic. Doesn't happen.

2. I learned this one the hard way. Tesla wants proof that your insurance activates 3 days before actual delivery and extends a minimum of 60 days after you take ownership. Early on, someone at Tesla told me I needed a binder on my insurance, and that I should upload it. So I did the next day. Thursday, the delivery center kid told me Tesla doesn't accept binders. You need an insurance card showing your Tesla is covered. In my state (GA), that means it must have the VIN on the card. I handled this by email with my insurance company along with a phone call in one business day. (Tip: When you upload proof of insurance, do not try to upload a .pdf. You'll get the spinning T of death and uncertainty if you try. I did, bad idea. Take a photo of your insurance card and upload that -- jpeg, png, tiff etc. Works fine).

3. If you're making a large down payment with partial financing like I am, it's okay to show up with 2 checks at delivery. The Tesla app will bug you to make final payment on your portion prior to delivery. You don't have to do that. I'm taking two checks: 1) a cashiers check drawn on my bank account at a credit union and 2) a check for the remaining purchase balance paid by my credit union. You can set up an internet check payment via the Tesla app; I refuse to do that when it's tens of thousands of dollars. Call me paranoid. Do not try to pay your portion of the invoice with a personal check, credit card, bitcoin, gold bars or tulip bulbs. You will be turned away. Cashiers checks and checks drawn on financial institutions' accounts. I guess they'd take cash, but the IRS might show up at your house wanting to know what you're doing running around with suitcases full of $100 bills and whether you associate with someone named El Lobo. (Do the cashiers check).

4. If you used the paying cash option when ordering the car, make sure to let Tesla know you've changed your mind and will be doing some financing when they first contact you about delivery. Don't forget to tell them.

5. My credit union is not all that familiar with how Tesla operates. They're used to cutting checks to traditional ICE franchise dealerships. (My loan officer said I was her first Tesla and she was so excited). I had to patiently explain that Tesla doesn't have a dealership network, everything is done directly with the company. (When I told her you can order a Tesla online in about 2 minutes, no guys involved with 12 gold chains around their neck wanting to know what they can do to get you in this car today, I think she almost fainted). It simply did not compute at first.

6. Financial institutions demand they be listed as a lien holder in official bill of sale documentation. The Purchase Agreement Tesla uploads that you can download does not fulfill this requirement: list the lien holder (finance company) by name along with its address. I had a minor brouhaha with my credit union over this regarding the purchase agreement and finally gave them the number to call Tesla's Kennesaw delivery center directly to tell them exactly what they need. They did and whatever was said satisfied the credit union. The flack stopped, everybody's happy now.

I pick up the checks Tuesday and will place them in a safe guarded by 2 German Shepherds borrowed from my niece. Don't try it, Bo weighs in at a hefty 120 lbs and has very big teeth. That is all for now.

Fantastic Delivery, yesterday! I walked the mile and a half to the service center on a beautiful 83° day. Immediately downed two bottles of water. The free water made me forget the extra $5500 I paid for those sexy 22" wheels. I think I can now call it even.

The car is in great shape. They had fixed the two panel issues I noticed weeks ago and now I couldn't find anything to complain about. I quickly loaded my Tidal account, turned up the music, and drove my rocket ship home. (Note to self: while driving, play Elton John's Rocket Man).

This car is everything I had hoped it would be. I still cannot believe it's mine. I kinda feel now it's my obligation to be the kind of person who deserves a car like this. Time to be more productive and give back something to this world that has treated me pretty good.

View attachment 798944View attachment 798945View attachment 798946View attachment 798955
Nice.

Did you name your X, Sir EJ D' Rocketman? 😹

Reminded me the day I picked up my M3P this was the first song played logging in to Spotify:

Congrats on the new whip!

(Im)patiently waiting on mine...OD July 2021.

• Love
Reactions: Prairie and retco
So, we cancelled our X.
Our situation changed (a little bit, and for the better), and we need a car very soon. Since we live in Europe, that's not going to be the X. My wife is looking for an ICE alternative now.
I've been looking forward to it since February last year, and it's dominated quite a bit of our lives. Ordering the X was a big decision, letting it go was as well.
I do have to say that this thread has been exceptionally supportive; thanks everyone!

Delivery was supposed to be tomorrow. Got a call the car was in the body shop for paint chips :(

Maybe next week they say ..

Car is still at the body shop. What makes me nervous is the day the price of the car may change depending on the quote they get back from the body shop?

I asked them why the price would change (in either direction) and have been ghosted since.

The new delivery date is next Friday - but at this point if the car has been in the body shop for unknown reasons for 2 weeks that can’t be good

1. When Tesla calls to inform you to schedule a delivery appointment, be sure to ask where the car is now. They can check this on their computer list. I'm in the SE, about as far away from Fremont as you can get this side of the People's Republic of Florida. If you're told it's still @ Fremont, take heed. If they tell you to make your appointment for 3-5 days later and you're far away, it will probably not be the time frame when you actually take possession. I've bought two Teslas and have learned it takes 2 weeks minimum to get a car from Fremont to a delivery center near me in the SE, and I guess the same holds true for the NE. They have to wait for the truck to take it to a railhead, load it onto a train, and then it's up to the railroad how fast your X gets to where it's going. American railroads aren't all that fast delivering freight. Once it gets to a Tesla destination near you (in my case Birmingham, AL), they have to unload it and a truck has to come, load your X and then drive to the Delivery Center where you will actually take possession. Once the Delivery Center has it, and this came straight from my delivery center, they like to have 48-72 hours to do final prep, check it over and make it look pretty for when you arrive. This all takes 2-3 weeks. Anyone telling you that a coast to coast delivery can take place in 5-7 days is being overly optimistic. Doesn't happen.

2. I learned this one the hard way. Tesla wants proof that your insurance activates 3 days before actual delivery and extends a minimum of 60 days after you take ownership. Early on, someone at Tesla told me I needed a binder on my insurance, and that I should upload it. So I did the next day. Thursday, the delivery center kid told me Tesla doesn't accept binders. You need an insurance card showing your Tesla is covered. In my state (GA), that means it must have the VIN on the card. I handled this by email with my insurance company along with a phone call in one business day. (Tip: When you upload proof of insurance, do not try to upload a .pdf. You'll get the spinning T of death and uncertainty if you try. I did, bad idea. Take a photo of your insurance card and upload that -- jpeg, png, tiff etc. Works fine).

3. If you're making a large down payment with partial financing like I am, it's okay to show up with 2 checks at delivery. The Tesla app will bug you to make final payment on your portion prior to delivery. You don't have to do that. I'm taking two checks: 1) a cashiers check drawn on my bank account at a credit union and 2) a check for the remaining purchase balance paid by my credit union. You can set up an internet check payment via the Tesla app; I refuse to do that when it's tens of thousands of dollars. Call me paranoid. Do not try to pay your portion of the invoice with a personal check, credit card, bitcoin, gold bars or tulip bulbs. You will be turned away. Cashiers checks and checks drawn on financial institutions' accounts. I guess they'd take cash, but the IRS might show up at your house wanting to know what you're doing running around with suitcases full of $100 bills and whether you associate with someone named El Lobo. (Do the cashiers check).

4. If you used the paying cash option when ordering the car, make sure to let Tesla know you've changed your mind and will be doing some financing when they first contact you about delivery. Don't forget to tell them.

5. My credit union is not all that familiar with how Tesla operates. They're used to cutting checks to traditional ICE franchise dealerships. (My loan officer said I was her first Tesla and she was so excited). I had to patiently explain that Tesla doesn't have a dealership network, everything is done directly with the company. (When I told her you can order a Tesla online in about 2 minutes, no guys involved with 12 gold chains around their neck wanting to know what they can do to get you in this car today, I think she almost fainted). It simply did not compute at first.

6. Financial institutions demand they be listed as a lien holder in official bill of sale documentation. The Purchase Agreement Tesla uploads that you can download does not fulfill this requirement: list the lien holder (finance company) by name along with its address. I had a minor brouhaha with my credit union over this regarding the purchase agreement and finally gave them the number to call Tesla's Kennesaw delivery center directly to tell them exactly what they need. They did and whatever was said satisfied the credit union. The flack stopped, everybody's happy now.

I pick up the checks Tuesday and will place them in a safe guarded by 2 German Shepherds borrowed from my niece. Don't try it, Bo weighs in at a hefty 120 lbs and has very big teeth. That is all for now.
I think paper checks are insecure/risky. I always prefer do wire. Call me paranoid.

Every state is different on insurance. Tesla has to contact my insurance company for a “stamp”. Used to be you’d take your registration to the insurance company and they would physically stamp it. They still do that today, electronically in MA.

From VIN to it being in delivery center took about 11-12 days. It only took like 3 days from VIN to built, rest was travel. It wouldn’t let me schedule pickup sooner than the 14th day (it was conservative and it showed up 3-4 days sooner). Last two Tesla’s was similar.

I don't believe CCS adapter capability has anything to do with the port, but rather the onboard charger, which afaik hasn't changed.
Not exactly. The official Tesla CCS adapter has a locking pin that was designed for the new charge port. I saw one thread that it sort-of works with the old port but it was clearly designed for the new one. For me, that is a HUGE advantage of the new charge port.

Might be soon. I know I'm getting the car this time because it's encountered delays in shipping. (I expected that). First delivery date was 5/1. They called and asked to shift to May 4th. Sure. One of the kids who actually prep the cars for delivery day called Thursday to ask if they could shift it back to 5/7 (Saturday week) because the truck from Birmingham won't arrive until Thursday (5/5). This is all coming down in Kennesaw. Thought I'd let you know about it, maybe yours is on the slow train from California too!
Thanks for the info. I still have the July EDD and no VIN, but I’m hoping I get a VIN and updated EDD range soon.

All great info. Only question is about insurance. I bought my 2020 Model 3 in September of 2020. I simply uploaded an insurance binder from my carrier and they accepted it pre-delivery. I’m also in GA. Maybe something has changed?

Sorry to break protocol, but cross-posting here since it has not got much traction in the other forum: Adjust FWD incrementally? (2022 MX)

is it possible to move the FWD in steps or slowly, or does it go from “low” to “full” until it touches something? I want to make it go a bit higher in my garage which has height clearance but I am afraid to do it without knowing how it will behave.
When it stops early due to low height you can force it higher by holding up button on pillar. It moves pretty slow and just let go at height you want. But I could never manage to teach it that height.

I also added foam padding in a couple spots for those days it didn’t see low clearance. And that kicked in a couple times.

Fantastic Delivery, yesterday! I walked the mile and a half to the service center on a beautiful 83° day. Immediately downed two bottles of water. The free water made me forget the extra $5500 I paid for those sexy 22" wheels. I think I can now call it even.

The car is in great shape. They had fixed the two panel issues I noticed weeks ago and now I couldn't find anything to complain about. I quickly loaded my Tidal account, turned up the music, and drove my rocket ship home. (Note to self: while driving, play Elton John's Rocket Man).

This car is everything I had hoped it would be. I still cannot believe it's mine. I kinda feel now it's my obligation to be the kind of person who deserves a car like this. Time to be more productive and give back something to this world that has treated me pretty good.

View attachment 798944View attachment 798945View attachment 798946View attachment 798955
Love it. It's all about our perspective.

When it stops early due to low height you can force it higher by holding up button on pillar. It moves pretty slow and just let go at height you want. But I could never manage to teach it that height.

I also added foam padding in a couple spots for those days it didn’t see low clearance. And that kicked in a couple times.
I am thinking about doing this, too. Any chance you can post some pictures of your foam padding?

I am thinking about doing this, too. Any chance you can post some pictures of your foam padding?
In my case, it’s seems it’s calibrated to open low so I may go outside to a parking lot and force it to open all the way before coming back to our garage and trying. If not, then will go with the reco of keeping the button on the pillar pressed.
@mswlogo as it is going up, is there a way to stop it by maybe pressing the close button or something?

Reactions: ductordoc
In my case, it’s seems it’s calibrated to open low so I may go outside to a parking lot and force it to open all the way before coming back to our garage and trying. If not, then will go with the reco of keeping the button on the pillar pressed.
@mswlogo as it is going up, is there a way to stop it by maybe pressing the close button or something?
It never goes to high or higher on its own in my garage. Only holding pillar button would go higher. I had set to full height just outside garage. Inside it always opened low. There was an option to be less safe on height (I forget it’s wording) but I never used it. Better to stop low than to high. I just lived with it and never had an accident. But it was tedious to use the pillar button every time in the garage

Last edited:
Random Q for 22 inch wheels.

Mine did not come with these fillers (shown in pictures). I received my refresh 12/31/21 so assume they forgot / were in a rush (or unavailable). Service said they'll order them for me.

I noticed other pictures without these fillers - and either other owners don't have them, like the look without them, or didn't know they were something available (maybe in Frunk for some).

Any thoughts?
255555CA-FACD-4887-8A4D-2B3952F57F97.jpeg

Attachments

• 233C5C3A-1A52-427B-8299-24CC3C830AA9.jpeg
    233C5C3A-1A52-427B-8299-24CC3C830AA9.jpeg
    925.5 KB · Views: 65
Random Q for 22 inch wheels.

Mine did not come with these fillers (shown in pictures). I received my refresh 12/31/21 so assume they forgot / were in a rush (or unavailable). Service said they'll order them for me.

I noticed other pictures without these fillers - and either other owners don't have them, like the look without them, or didn't know they were something available (maybe in Frunk for some).

Any thoughts?View attachment 799106
wow I love the wheels 100x more now without the fillers. Thanks for this haha. Maybe a good idea to put on during road trips

Reactions: XLAX