Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone with 6 seat config who changed their account to pay in full until assigned a vin instead of finance to avoid getting a ding on your credit application, changed back to finance yet with the hopes of getting delivery and thus a vin for December ?

What I'd like to know is why are they seemingly trickling deliveries out now? Why is it okay to deliver 3 or so, but not 20 or 30 or more? 🤷
From our viewpoint, within this forum, that may appear to be the case, but there are many owners who don't use this forum. The answer will lie in seeing the vehicles show up to service centers and Superchargers.

I'm not sure I agree with your comment about the charger not working until you've been assigned a VIN. My daughter has an S and she's been able to charge her car on my charger.
Ditto. I've had a wall charger since 2017. It doesn't care about the VIN of the car plugged into it. Why should it? What you pay on your electricity bill to charge your X/S/3/Y means nothing to Tesla. They have zero financial interest at stake. You're paying PG&E, Georgia Power in my case, Tesla doesn't have a dog or a nickel in that transaction. Requiring a VIN to allow a wall charger to charge up any Tesla makes zero sense. It just ain't so.

Reactions: ductordoc
Ditto. I've had a wall charger since 2017. It doesn't care about the VIN of the car plugged into it. Why should it? What you pay on your electricity bill to charge your X/S/3/Y means nothing to Tesla. They have zero financial interest at stake. You're paying PG&E, Georgia Power in my case, Tesla doesn't have a dog or a nickel in that transaction. Requiring a VIN to allow a wall charger to charge up any Tesla makes zero sense. It just ain't so.
I think this whole "charger requiring a VIN" was meant to be a joke from the beginning

If we don’t start seeing VINs this coming week, I suspect that these sneaky bastards at Tesla up sold a bunch of people and have no intention of making delivery before end of year as promised…. People will raise hell but I doubt there is anything they can do since Tesla was careful to do it over the phone and didn’t put it in writing.
It would match my refresh 2016 experience where Tesla and Elon lied through their teeth about autopilot and FSD. They said it would match AP1 on delivery, AEB wasn't even deployed until July 2017, 7 months after I took delivery and I never got any apology. They got my money and that's all they ever cared about.

I specifically talked to the sales person about how much I wanted the safety features of the S and how the FSD video was exciting because they had a working prototype and software but it was all lies.

Reactions: JER85
If not today, this week has got to be the week we start seeing some movement!
If there are going to be any significant deliveries before year end on the east coast then they need to start shipping this week, maybe next week at the latest. That means SA will be able to see VINs. Otherwise it will be just west coast deliveries for 2021.

If there are going to be any significant deliveries before year end on the east coast then they need to start shipping this week, maybe next week at the latest. That means SA will be able to see VINs. Otherwise it will be just west coast deliveries for 2021.
So weird, if we dont get delivery this year then something must have gone wrong, makes no sense to call all of us to switch and give hope when we all were not expecting a delivery before the end of the year, at least I wasnt. I wanted it to happen, but I was resigned to the fact that it probably would be 2022. So by calling all of us and getting us excited to get delivery this year and have it not happen would have just been self created disapointment on there part. They should have just kept quiet. That is why I believe something drastic must have happend from when they started calling to now with part shortage

So weird, if we dont get delivery this year then something must have gone wrong, makes no sense to call all of us to switch and give hope when we all were not expecting a delivery before the end of the year, at least I wasnt. I wanted it to happen, but I was resigned to the fact that it probably would be 2022. So by calling all of us and getting us excited to get delivery this year and have it not happen would have just been self created disapointment on there part. They should have just kept quiet. That is why I believe something drastic must have happend from when they started calling to now with part shortage
When I was called and made he switch (10/19) I was told delivery would be by the end of the year. They said it could be November, but for sure by years end. So when you say something must have gone wrong since they called, I would say that what ever had gone wrong, (part shortage) had already gone wrong. What Tesla was doing was looking out into their own supply chain and seeing those missing parts arriving sometime in early to middle of November. Then deliveries starting immediately and continuing from there. So far nothing they have said as far as 6 seat deliveries is false. If we don’t see some deliveries by the end of November, then it will be clear that whatever parts arrival time they were expecting, did not come through and is later than projected. Until then we have no choice but to remain patient and hope the parts are soon to arrive.

As far as “east coast” year end deliveries are concerned, shipping to the east coast is no more than two weeks. So they could ship well into December and still make year end deliveries. They don’t have to start in the next week or two.

Reactions: Stro and TWENT2
Does make me wonder about the airbags and the recall. Maybe they were waiting for parts or have to change out airbags and the part is not as available as they hoped/thought. Regardless I think we'll get far less deliveries Q4 than anticipated and this jives w the new order dates being pushed out a year. Wouldn't doubt if 5/7 seaters start shipping End Q1 2022.

Reactions: ironwill96
If we don’t start seeing VINs this coming week, I suspect that these sneaky bastards at Tesla up sold a bunch of people and have no intention of making delivery before end of year as promised…. People will raise hell but I doubt there is anything they can do since Tesla was careful to do it over the phone and didn’t put it in writing.
Ah.... but I recorded my conversation after he said, "This conversation may be recorded for quality assurance" for this EXACT reason.

If I do not take delivery this year, I will be switching back to 7 seats and not losing my place in line or paying higher base price.

But... I really want to take delivery this year!

I don't completely see it that way. Maybe it's because I'm an optimist but I expected that I would receive my MX sometime in December after I got "the call." I do think that there's something that they're still working on, but I'm not getting the feeling that something went wrong because "the call" was the most communication we ever received from Tesla. I don't expect communication to all of a sudden get better because they made that one call. I expect terrible communication all the way up until delivery so I'm still holding out hope that this is going "to plan" just enjoying the waiting room for a few more weeks.
Mark my words
(Because I am probably wrong) 😂

• Funny
Reactions: lexus26