Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 0BA57F19-6A7D-4CF6-999E-33189D7905A1.jpeg
    0BA57F19-6A7D-4CF6-999E-33189D7905A1.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: TrevTremaine
All right, here's my question of the day.

As far as I can tell, the prior Model X Performance model had a 0-60 time of 2.7s, and the upcoming Plaid is listed as 2.5s. Why didn't the tri-motor plaid powertrain yield a better improvement than that? It sounds like the S Plaid has more consistent power both at varying speeds and at varying levels of charge compared to its predecessor, so there's that (assuming it carries over to the X). But I had expected a bigger boost off the line from adding a third motor. Maybe the limit is on power delivery from the battery?

• Informative
Reactions: DIL
…the upcoming Plaid is listed as 2.5s. Why didn't the tri-motor plaid powertrain yield a better improvement than that?…Maybe the limit is on power delivery from the battery?
S/X models are torque limited up to the point that the power limits kick in. That point will be after 2.5s so the only obvious way to differentiate the cars’ 0-60 is to dial the torque limit down: higher than raven but lower than S plaid. Weight and drag differences only contribute a tiny part of the 0.5s difference.

Last edited:
S/X models are torque limited up to the point that the power limits kick in. That point will be after 2.5s so the only obvious way to differentiate the cars’ 0-60 is to dial the torque limit down: higher than raven but lower than S plaid. Weight and drag differences only contribute a tiny part of the 0.5s difference.

I'm sorry, are you saying the X plaid should be able to do 0-60 or perhaps 1/4 mile pretty much as fast as the S plaid, but Tesla has chosen to dial down the performance parameters on the X in order to maintain differentiation between the S and the X?

After seeing the prototype MX Refresh pull up next to me at the Supercharger, I have mixed hope that it's coming soon. The back door opened and it had absolutely 0 interior trim in the back, which leads me to believe that they don't have all the parts yet to start production.

Gap/Offset on the falcon wing doors to the wheel well and C pillar was truly terrible. The car still felt very much hacked together from a manufacturing perspective. Then of course, I have been surprised before!

I'd get an MSP instead now, but I really want an SUV to haul my dog and people around...and my wife thinks the falcon wing doors are cool. 🤣

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I'm sorry, are you saying the X plaid should be able to do 0-60 or perhaps 1/4 mile pretty much as fast as the S plaid, but Tesla has chosen to dial down the performance parameters on the X in order to maintain differentiation between the S and the X?
I am speculating somewhat on their motivation but all the cars have torque limits and power limits set by Tesla. And the only way you get from a 2.0 S to a 2.5 X 0-60 is by lowering the torque. The weight difference isn’t enough. And aerodynamic drag at that speed is negligible. As for the quarter mile, you might see drag affects.

I don’t know what the raven torque settings are but pre raven the X torque was always set about 10% lower on the X. See the metrics here.

I realize the wheel outside diameter is different in the two setups is different

Last edited:
After seeing the prototype MX Refresh pull up next to me at the Supercharger, I have mixed hope that it's coming soon. The back door opened and it had absolutely 0 interior trim in the back, which leads me to believe that they don't have all the parts yet to start production.

Gap/Offset on the falcon wing doors to the wheel well and C pillar was truly terrible. The car still felt very much hacked together from a manufacturing perspective. Then of course, I have been surprised before!

I'd get an MSP instead now, but I really want an SUV to haul my dog and people around...and my wife thinks the falcon wing doors are cool. 🤣

The fact it looks like 3 different cars sandwiched together always concerned me with the X. The B pillar in particular usually doesn't match. Sometimes the C pillar will also have a big bump and offset. Like glaring.

The refresh S look great, so I was definitely hoping they'd translate that over to better built Xs.

Reactions: VLTWGGN