Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - I have a 2017 X 5 seater. The bench seat is great. There is only 2 of us, so we really don't need more seats - and we do have a dog crate, which fits perfectly behind the bench seat (won't fit in a 6 or 7 seat configuration.)
This. I have a 5 seat S and 5 seat X. I’m an empty nester so seldom have lots of passengers, but often carry lots of cargo. The S cargo is large, and the X is positively cavernous. I thought I would miss the huge frunk of our old RWD S, but the X more than makes up for it.

I’m sure the 2nd row chairs of the 6 seat are better for passengers and if they folded like on a Volvo, I would get that. But since they don’t, the 6-seat configuration is not an option for me.

This. I have a 5 seat S and 5 seat X. I’m an empty nester so seldom have lots of passengers, but often carry lots of cargo. The S cargo is large, and the X is positively cavernous. I thought I would miss the huge frunk of our old RWD S, but the X more than makes up for it.

I’m sure the 2nd row chairs of the 6 seat are better for passengers and if they folded like on a Volvo, I would get that. But since they don’t, the 6-seat configuration is not an option for me.

Would you say that the X with the 5 seat without being folded down has comparable storage to the S?

I've got an S and it's so useful. I've transported an 8 foot entry door. 2 7 foot evergreen trees. And a host of other large items. Only bigger, taller items are an issue for an S and I figured the 6 with the rear bench folded is comparable in total cubic feet to the S even if it's overall shape is taller and less long.

Am I way off? Also I'm expecting an upgrade in frunk since I've got a dual motor S with BWD mode filters eating up the frunk space.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Thanks for this info. Fwiw my car has been “in build status” for at least 3 months. I’m pre refresh, 6 seater and was told I would be a priority and “one of the first”. I have feb and was told Tesla sees March on my account and I’ve never sniffed a VIN.
I’m in the same boat. SA told me after agreeing to $8k increase, I would be on a priority list for deliveries in March or April 2021.
I honestly don’t expect to see by 5 seater till end of Q1.

So, for those of you not liking the yoke, T-Sportline has the solution. Looks a bit wonky though: Tesla Model S Yoke Replacement 360 Leather Steering wheel
To each their own! I for one think the yoke will be a HIGHLIGHT of the refresh.

Edit: I think the main actual problem I’ve read is the lack of a horn when you hit the center; only accessible through the little touch point.

I almost NEVER use my horn; I go years without using it. But recently in a parking lot I couldn’t move out of the way of somebody backing up rather quickly and had to instantly honk at them. It’s situations like this where you need the center not a tiny little touch point.

Last edited:
They have told me there is a workaround and the only thing that would change is reduction in price. I'm not sure if that'll actually be the case though. I didn't like the look of the 20" so I upgraded to 22". The current 20" wheels look better, plus the range is greater with 20".

I don't want EDD to get pushed back, or actual delivery date for that matter. I don't know if the 'new' 20" are even available yet so it might delay delivery. Currently I'm showing February, which changed from January a few weeks ago.
I have the same post several hundred pages back. Many others in same boat. I didn’t have luck getting wheels downgraded without paying more.

F that. No heating means no deal. I'll try that yoke and see how it is. Safety is paramount but heated wheel is essential IMO.

I agree, it needs to be heated. I just posted it for those who are adamantly against the yoke. Heck, it's surprisingly expensive - $2300 to $3500. Thank you, but no thanks! I'd rather get a set of forged rims for roughly the same price.

A 5 seater is a good car for empty nesters. Every 6 months or so there is something I need to haul for or over to a kid.

And if they would just come back and clean out their rooms ...

Would you say that the X with the 5 seat without being folded down has comparable storage to the S?

I've got an S and it's so useful. I've transported an 8 foot entry door. 2 7 foot evergreen trees. And a host of other large items. Only bigger, taller items are an issue for an S and I figured the 6 with the rear bench folded is comparable in total cubic feet to the S even if it's overall shape is taller and less long.

Am I way off? Also I'm expecting an upgrade in frunk since I've got a dual motor S with BWD mode filters eating up the frunk space.
The X frunk is much smaller than my RWD S, but the rear feels larger even with the seats up. With the seats folded, the cargo is huge. And it's a huge plus that the rear seats fold flat, unlike the 2014 S.

Reactions: croman
To each their own! I for one think the yoke will be a HIGHLIGHT of the refresh.

Edit: I think the main actual problem I’ve read is the lack of a horn when you hit the center; only accessible through the little touch point.

I almost NEVER use my horn; I go years without using it. But recently in a parking lot I couldn’t move out of the way of somebody backing up rather quickly and had to instantly honk at them. It’s situations like this where you need the center not a tiny little touch point.
Agree. I had a MSP for about two weeks. Not having the horn is kinda dangerous, IMO. A car on my street was backing out of a driveway and didn't see me. I couldn't honk quickly enough and had to swerve. Even that was hard cause the yoke was awkward.

In most circumstances, I thought the yoke was cool, different and kinda fun. But, I do think it brings with it unnecessary risks without commensurate benefit. All moot, since we don't have a choice (besides ugly, expensive aftermarket options).

Agree. I had a MSP for about two weeks. Not having the horn is kinda dangerous, IMO. A car on my street was backing out of a driveway and didn't see me. I couldn't honk quickly enough and had to swerve. Even that was hard cause the yoke was awkward.

In most circumstances, I thought the yoke was cool, different and kinda fun. But, I do think it brings with it unnecessary risks without commensurate benefit. All moot, since we don't have a choice (besides ugly, expensive aftermarket options).
I’m thinking of finding/designing an aftermarket horn mod for my X.