Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered Feb 2020 - LR, 7 seat configuration, Black seats

Received a call from my SA (first hearing from them since April) - where they told me Production is starting at the end of this week. The first batch of Production cars will be 6 seat configuration and my SA asked if I wanted to upgrade to 6 seats (from 7 seats), adding an additional $3k to the order. As you can see from the screenshot my order was updated:
2CEDD87C-31E1-4407-9421-D71FC7A0D176.jpeg

I just got “the call.” Nice, energetic young guy. Apologized for the delays. That felt good.

Like the other calls, he offered if I can change to six seats from 5 I can have delivery this year. Otherwise my MX will not deliver until March/April of next year. Grrr - I just sold my M-B GLS-450 and am now driving a golf cart to work through the winter - he said he will note that on my order.

I did take the opportunity to say that I would have taken the 6 if both second seats folded flat but he confirmed they will not. He said they don’t have any info on why there is the seat situation.

He noted the MX has the most sophisticated and biggest computers of all models and therefore most semiconductors that are unavailable or in short supply now and will be short for a while.

At least they will have a few months of production experience before mine is made.

February 9, 2021 order MX LR RED CREAM FSD STANDARD WHEELS & TIRES FWD YOKE PRESENTING DOORS BIG AND HIGH INTERIOR
OH YEAH!

Received a call from my SA (first hearing from them since April) - where they told me Production is starting at the end of this week. The first batch of Production cars will be 6 seat configuration and my SA asked if I wanted to upgrade to 6 seats (from 7 seats), adding an additional $3k to the order. As you can see from the screenshot my order was updated:
View attachment 721136
Curious to know how long it took them to modify your order from the time of your phone call?

Reactions: hoda1982
how is this any different to the front seats though, which have hinging mechanisms?
It's not different. The front seats don't fold flat either. I don't have any answers but the 2nd row in the 6 seat config is what it is. It has not changed since the MX debuted and with the extremely low volume I doubt they re-engineer it. If you need a fold flat second row get a 5 or 7.

Reactions: jboy210

View attachment 721136

Ugh!! This means you've bumped my order. :mad:

Anyone else dreading the yoke and touch controls? I've been teetering back and forth between cancelling because of this. Really hoping they eventually offer ability to purchase a round wheel.
I am dreading it. It is an answer to a question that no one asked. There is literally nothing better about it. The yoke makes nothing better. I have driven an MS for almost 10 years and have never had a problem seeing the instrument cluster so the argument of better visibility is bupkis. The yoke is there because Elon has the maturity of a 10 year old, he thinks that a yoke is cool and because it increases Tesla's profit margins.

The comments from MS owners are mostly "I got used to it" or "I adapted to it." You shouldn't have to "adapt" to a primary control unless the new control offers a substantial improvement (think virtual keyboards on phones which gave us larger screens for the same physical phone size).

I will get used to it because I have no choice. I want the Performance of Plaid and the additional seats of the X. I will also convince myself that the yoke is better so I can not feel bad about spending $120k.

Post #3733 said their sister ordered in June and got the call:

"New data point. I ordered a LR white on white, 5 seater in early June (Massachusetts). No one has reached out yet. My sister (Bay area), ordered the same configuration a week after I did and got the call to have it converted to a 6 seater for EOY delivery. She declined."

I think many of these comments on the yoke are spot on (as he turns to avoid being slapped by Bruce for veering off topic...). I had a MS Plaid for about two weeks. Like the comments above suggest, you will get used to it, but it shouldn't be necessary to "get used" to perhaps the most important aspect of a vehicle, especially when the current method of steering a vehicle works perfectly.

After a bit of time, I did think the yoke was kinda cool in that I had the feeling of openness in front of me. That said, like others commented above, I never felt that my view was obstructed with my old wheel. But, if I had to choose between a small obstruction of the screen in front of me, and never having to think about how to turn my wheel in an emergency situation, I'd go with the latter every time.

I had one situation when a car was pulling out of a driveway in front me me and I had to quickly swerve. It felt awkward and I felt like I almost couldn't make the car do what I wanted to do as quickly as I needed. The other factor is the stalkless situation. Another odd way to reinvent what works in every other car on the planet. I actually did not mind it as much as I thought I would, but honking quickly is awkward. I imagine doing a multi-point turn will also be awkward.

I agree with the above comments about Elon's thought process (it looks cool). In addition to thinking it looks cool, I think he has prioritized seeing the cluster over having a full wheel because seeing the cluster is important for FSD. Personally, I think this is a terrible idea. I have never bought into the concept of a computer driving better than an alert and educated human, and I think FSD has been prioritized over basic safety. I also think he will one day say: "Well, we got rid of half the steering wheel, and people did great. Now it's time to get rid of the rest of the wheel..."

All that said, like many others, I tend to put up with what I don't like because what I do like is so good. I sold my MX in January in anticipation of the refresh. Regret it every day. Nothing beats the power, performance and spaciousness of a MX. Right before I bought my 2018 MX, I had a Jeep Trackhawk for about six weeks. The car sounded like a nuclear explosion every time you hit the gas and it was hard to see over the hood's air intake. The MX can beet the crap out of a Trackhawk performance-wise, and it's incredibly smooth and nimble for a car its size. For those of you who are new to the MX, you feel like you are sitting in the cockpit of a helicopter with the huge glass window.

Bottom line: I will tolerate the yoke and stalkless driving. I may even kinda appreciate the view. But, I'd do a round wheel if offered any day.

View attachment 721136
The real question is how long from the start of production do deliveries take place. Do they start delivering as soon as they start making them or do they build up supply first then ship. Also hopefully they dont run into any production problems 😳 BUT I’d think they would have sorted all issues out producing test X’s and such… anybody got any insight 🤔

Reactions: Elixir
The real question is how long from the start of production do deliveries take place. Do they start delivering as soon as they start making them or do they build up supply first then ship. Also hopefully they dont run into any production problems 😳 BUT I’d think they would have sorted all issues out producing test X’s and such… anybody got any insight 🤔
Not sure if you saw my post earlier but my service center said they have an X slated for delivery in 3 weeks so they will be sending them out immediately

Reactions: kingjones94