Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it hard to believe that Tesla would not deliver 5/7 seaters for the remainder of the year. I also do not understand their policy to not allow you to change your color and or configuration long before delivery. This is the most customer unfriendly and stupid policy I have ever heard of. IF someone wants to upgrade to a more expensive paint, interior color, seat configuration, or wheels…….why the hell wouldn’t you let them? More money for Tesla? Idiotic IMO. This just shows how far Tesla has to go on customer service and just good business practices. If I was still a shareholder, I would be furious about this policy.

I find it hard to believe that Tesla would not deliver 5/7 seaters for the remainder of the year. I also do not understand their policy to not allow you to change your color and or configuration long before delivery. This is the most customer unfriendly and stupid policy I have ever heard of. IF someone wants to upgrade to a more expensive paint, interior color, seat configuration, or wheels…….why the hell wouldn’t you let them? More money for Tesla? Idiotic IMO. This just shows how far Tesla has to go on customer service and just good business practices. If I was still a shareholder, I would be furious about this policy.
Do your own research. You can change colors, configs however you want at current pricing.

They make 6 seat configs for now for highest margins. Chill out.

Do your own research. You can change colors, configs however you want at current pricing.

From what we've seen/heard if you try to change on your own accord you have to pay the 10k price increase since our orders (most of us ordered before that). So it's not so simple. Only one that doesn't have this is the Tesla initiated change to 6 seats for earlier delivery. My wife is actually on board with this but alas no call and not really expecting one honestly w a May order date.

Believe me, I am 100% with you that Tesla has poor customer service. We are not only experiencing it now but I have in the past with my last Model X both on ordering and in the Service Center. (I actually took my local SC to small claims court for not addressing my MCU1 constantly power cycling over a period of 5 SC visits. I won, arguing they returned to me an unsafe vehicle and forced the MCU2 purchase)

I kind of understand them not allowing you to change configurations and keep your place in line. They need to order materials and supplies for your car in preparation to build it. For clarification as well, Tesla will let you change your configuration at any time without paying the $100 reservation fee again, you will however a) have to pay the current rate and b) lose your delivery priority and move to the back of the line.

Believe me, I am 100% with you that Tesla has poor customer service. We are not only experiencing it now but I have in the past with my last Model X both on ordering and in the Service Center. (I actually took my local SC to small claims court for not addressing my MCU1 constantly power cycling over a period of 5 SC visits. I won, arguing they returned to me an unsafe vehicle and forced the MCU2 purchase)

I kind of understand them not allowing you to change configurations and keep your place in line. They need to order materials and supplies for your car in preparation to build it. For clarification as well, Tesla will let you change your configuration at any time without paying the $100 reservation fee again, you will however a) have to pay the current rate and b) lose your delivery priority and move to the back of the line.
Question is if it's not being built at the time of the change why would they move you to the back of the line and also charge more?
That's crazy it's almost like your being punished for changing your mind 🤷🏾‍♂️

I agree with the original post. Tesla's policy is wildly off putting and the only reason they can get away with it is that their product is (for now) so much better than anything else in the market place. If and when that changes, so will their customer service, which probably won't improve until that time. Doesn't have to be this way, but arrogance is (for now) a defining element in their culture. Maybe that's good on some levels.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Been lurking around here getting hyped about some people getting calls to switch to a 6s and finally got it today. Was told that guarantees a delivery before the end of the year, cars starting to ship next week. Had a LR 5-seat order from early February - in California. Max excite

Cool, although I'd take that word "guarantees" with a proverbial grain of salt.

Bruce.

Little things like this matter at this price point.
I still find it inexcusable that there is no communication from Tesla about impending deliveries.This is a lot of money. How are people supposed to know when they need to get their financing together? When they need to end a lease? When they need to turn in the rentals? It’s a little disconcerting how little fanfare or press there has been about the most expensive car in their lineup. It tells me they don’t care about it.
I was just talking to someone who has a new Model S and it came delivered without the cover to the rear storage. He had to make a temporary one out of plywood. And it sounds like Tesla has no plans of providing it to him anytime soon. His delivery experience was terrible and incredibly disorganized. He and I have both been driving Tesla‘s since 2016 or before and in the past we found the delivery experience to be great.
My wife really wants to cancel the X order but due the lack of alternatives and shortages throughout the industry I keep telling her to hold off.
So conflicted.
I agree, it’s been incredibly frustrating to work with Tesla since I pulled the trigger in 2018. I realized then in order to make the change from ICE to BEV I needed to go all electric. I ordered a Tesla 8.19 kWh solo panel array and two powerwalls. My plan was to save enough to buy a Model X. Working with the Tesla service advisors was painful. Poor communication coupled with internal confusion it was a difficult process. The day my installers came, my wife mentioned that she didn’t see where they were going to put the wall charger. My installer stated “you can’t put a wall charger on the system your panel is too small. You only have 100 Amp”. I told them it’s supposed to be solar panels batteries and a Model X. He suggested I cancel their install, get an electrician in to upgrade the panel to a 200 amp and then reschedule the install. The best part of my whole experience were the men and women who actually worked on my install. The system works great, The batteries work great. In March I had my wall charger is installed waiting for my Model X. I ordered my model X in September 2020. It had supercharging still attached. January 2021 my order got canceled and I had to except an $8000 increase for the refresh model X. And of course supercharging was removed. Sitting in limbo waiting for any information has been incredibly frustrating. Only place to complain is here and on Twitter. It’s unfathomable that Tesla does not communicate with the customers and Frontline service advisors and service center managers. 1/2 of the company is amazing creating industry changing features A computer code while the other side of the company is pathetic, unorganized and held to no accountability. I was told by a service advisor in July “when Elon tweets about it that’s when will all know. You can call me every two weeks and I’m still not gonna know until he tweets.“ But I need my model X so like all of you I sit and I wait. I still have to redo My financing and insurance as both quotes have long since expired. God willing I will get the Vin number soon.

I was told last week if I want to change anything on my MX order it would make me lose my spot in line and I'd get hit with the cost of the upgrade and the new increase of $10K. Right now my cost is $87,990.00 which is already really pushing my budget. The production delay has really screwed me.

You can change it whenever you want. You may lose your place and some bloke that has spring 2022 delivery may get your model. They'll let ya.

I guess you are unaware of their policies, and my comments speak to higher margins
You need to research manufacturing and how it works. If you allowed everyone to change all the way up to the latest minute, it’d create chaos, not to mention praying you have enough materials to make every kind of spec 10x over. There is a finite amount of space and inventory you can carry. Not to mention batch sizes. So yea…. Chill out. You CAN change your config, but you’ll pay current price.

So I decided to throw it at the wall to see if anything stuck and called the 888 number. The guy was really friendly. My order has been blank since everyone else's went blank. Interestingly, it was blank on his end, but he intimated that the car is in a stage that precedes production. I can't remember his words, but he was very encouraging.

I have a Plaid on order. I brought up to him that I heard there were issues with Plaid and that only LR were being delivered. He acted surprised and suggested I was misinformed - that both are being delivered. He was careful not to say too much, but was proud that he was offering "inside" information you can't get on Reddit. I quickly corrected him and told him that I get all my information from the center of the universe: TMC.

He hinted that I may got mine before the end of the year. He couldn't say for sure, but seemed optimistic. Before hanging up, I said: "So you're sayin' I got a chance...." I think he was too young to get the reference.....
I hate to quote my own post, but is no one here getting the reference??

Crazy. This exact scenario is what led me to sell my model X back in January. They were not fix my MCU. I decided I would buy a new model X. I bought when they were insanely expensive (more than current vehicles), so my logic was that if I sold my model X and got into a new one, I would pay less and get a new vehicle with an upgraded MCU. Around that time I caught wind of the “refresh“ and thought that would be icing on the cake. Sold my car in January and the rest is history…

Regret every minute of it. Took tons of documentation in that the hardware was failing and they wouldn’t budge. They wanted me to pay for the new upgrade.