Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread seems to drift back to the topic of FSD every 50 pages or so...

Let me recap. FSD is not "Full Self Driving". FSD is a set of features that include summon, autopark, auto lane changes, etc. To the same people who find a $20,000 upgrade for 1 second of acceleration worth the buy-in - this $10k upgrade is worth it for a set of features.

No doubt it is dangerous. Nobody is arguing that. This is why it is called Full Self Drive BETA. It is not a full release. You are a beta tester.

I am a fan of Dirty Tesla's videos on Youtube. I believe he gives an honest review, shows it's flaws, and does not cut any time out of his video. You get the uncut unedited raw footage of his drive. I do not believe some Youtubers otherwise give a fair review when they only show the flaws.

yes, I will, though I have watched the install video and read the manual and it doesn't seem too hard. Just run I think it was 6 gauge 3 conductor copper wire from a 60 amp breaker to the Tesla charging unit though conduit. Not much too it really.
You are infinitely more handy than I am!

I hired an electrician and while they installed the charger, they added another couple GFCI outlets to my garage!

I installed my $480 32amp clipper creek charger myself. Because I planned ahead during an expansion project, I had a sub panel that was previously only running lighting and a few outlets with plenty of capacity in the garage so it was as easy as buying a breaker, switching off the sub panel breaker at the main panel, opening the sub panel, selecting and removing an appropriately-sized knockout, hooking up three wires inside the panel, and mounting the charger on the wall. If I wanted to get real fancy I could have run conduit and put the charger in a slightly more convenient location, but my setup was such that the 25' of charge cable it came with was plenty to reach where I needed it.

Installing new outlets and lighting is a PITA because drywall and finished ceilings, not because the electrical part is difficult.

It's really simple, but it's also really good to have a healthy fear of screwing it up, so I always recommend people just hire an electrician as $500 in labor is pretty cheap compared to worrying about a house fire. And the existing infrastructure matters too, so don't feel like you have to turn in your man/woman/rugged individual card just because you didn't DIY

Last edited:
I love Tesla, but if they paid me 20k to use FSD I would not take it. I work in IT and I am not putting my life in the hands of software engineers and some cameras. Until all cars and the road talk to each other I won’t even come close to trusting it.
Do you use Autopilot? Do you use radar cruise control? Do you use fixed cruise control? Do you use automatic intermittent windshield wipers? All of these 'future technologies' were met with the same reaction. They all matured and they are now ubiquitous (well, Autopilot is on its way... Being cloned by every other manufacturer)

You have your reasoning for your lack of trust, I understand that. I just see opportunity for potential (not a guarantee) that I don't want people to be closed of to.

Since we are on the topic of setting up home charging for our long awaited Xs lol... have any of your NJ folks taken advantage of the new PSE&G EV charging incentives?

From what I understand they will give you $1500 towards installation but only if you order one of their approved chargers to use (chargepoint or Juicebox)

They give you a discounted rate overnight only if you are using one of those 2 chargers to send data back to them..... I just don't think its worth paying $700 for one of these chargers in order to save a couple of cents per kW..... I feel like it will take you forever to recoup the cost of the charger.

Do you use Autopilot? Do you use radar cruise control? Do you use fixed cruise control? Do you use automatic intermittent windshield wipers? All of these 'future technologies' were met with the same reaction. They all matured and they are now ubiquitous (well, Autopilot is on its way... Being cloned by every other manufacturer)

You have your reasoning for your lack of trust, I understand that. I just see opportunity for potential (not a guarantee) that I don't want people to be closed of to.
Automatic wipers were perfected back in the early 2000's and Tesla saw that and was like you're not my mom you can't tell me what to do and did it completely backwards and wrong

Also, I don't remember an outcry about auto-wipers or auto-headlights, for instance, because when the legacy OEM's did it, they made sure it actually worked before they sold it...lol. I love the now 10 and 15 year old auto-wiper designs in my gas cars, they work awesome. The one year old (and constantly updated!) algorithm/sensing in the November 2020 build Model X...not so much

At least Tesla didn't screw up the auto headlamps

Since we are on the topic of setting up home charging for our long awaited Xs lol... have any of your NJ folks taken advantage of the new PSE&G EV charging incentives?

From what I understand they will give you $1500 towards installation but only if you order one of their approved chargers to use (chargepoint or Juicebox)

They give you a discounted rate overnight only if you are using one of those 2 chargers to send data back to them..... I just don't think its worth paying $700 for one of these chargers in order to save a couple of cents per kW..... I feel like it will take you forever to recoup the cost of the charger.
PSEGLI offers a $500 instant rebate off the price of the charger (ends up around $175) and then pays you to charge overnight so I went for that. The Juicebox plugs right into the 240v outlet so no cost of installation either.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Didn't see anyone note this, but Tesla raised prices across the board again. X went up 5k., so starts at $104995. Ouch.

Automatic wipers were perfected back in the early 2000's and Tesla saw that and was like you're not my mom you can't tell me what to do and did it completely backwards and wrong

Also, I don't remember an outcry about auto-wipers or auto-headlights, for instance, because when the legacy OEM's did it, they made sure it actually worked before they sold it...lol. I love the now 10 and 15 year old auto-wiper designs in my gas cars, they work awesome. The one year old (and constantly updated!) algorithm/sensing in the November 2020 build Model X...not so much

At least Tesla didn't screw up the auto headlamps
The auto headlight implementation SUCKS. Spends way too much time on low when it shouldn't. Then the HIGHS also suck, as and I have been flashed more times with it on than other cars because it doesn't seem to lower the highs like it should, but this is random. Not good.

And Auto Wipers without a rain sensor like everyone else uses are even worse. WIPE, WIPE WIPE at high speeds for little rain drops. Then settles down and doesn't wipe when get more rain. Again, Not good, at all.

I think FSD beta is not good yet, but only want it to hopefully have better Auto Highs and Auto wipers and no Phantom Braking as that is bad too. Could we atleast get those to the level of a Chevy Volt? (2019 Volt Auto Highs are REALLY good. Don't go low after turned to high and get a reflection from a white signpost. And Chevy has never Phantom Braked. Chevy did their homework and they work great. No Auto wipers so no comment, but Ford Mustang GT has good ones and 2015 Caddy SRX also good.)

I'll say it again, Tesla is the best ELECTRIC CAR but because of little things like this, not the Best CAR.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be nice? (BTW...It's fake).

msedge_27Vs8GncQ9.png

PSEGLI offers a $500 instant rebate off the price of the charger (ends up around $175) and then pays you to charge overnight so I went for that. The Juicebox plugs right into the 240v outlet so no cost of installation either.
Ah you guys are lucky. I would prefer that to be honest..

From the FAQ on the NJ side:

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I mean if you’re buying a used car and don’t do hands-on assessment or get a quality third party assessment, it’s kinda your fault for ending up with a slow display
I completely agree.

The point is traditional metrics like model year are not always correct with Tesla. So determining price by model year is also questionable. With Tesla, you cannot assume that all model year cars are the same. There may be considerable differences in features, performance, and more within a model year.

It is my strong opinion that we should pour our resources into making humans the best drivers they can possibly be. I don't believe a computer will ever exercise better judgement than a sober human. And, the phase in which computers are "getting better" is extremely dangerous. People gain trust and complacency from the moments that FSD is "super impressive" when they shouldn't. We have already seen a number of deaths related to FSD/Autopilot that, in my estimation, could have been avoided if the driver was not so trusting of FSD.
Edit: I respectfully disagree.
FSD obsessively monitors driver attention in the latest builds. You can’t use it unless you are a very attentive and good driver.

Edit: I respectfully disagree.
FSD obsessively monitors driver attention in the latest builds. You can’t use it unless you are a very attentive and good driver.
And the deaths of several people who misuse it (and even those who weren't misusing it)? It is unavoidable that you will have people who abuse the technology.

Edit: re-read your post and I think you are saying that it is hard to abuse it now with the latest software builds. That said, my point is the same: a computer may be nearly infinitely faster than a human mind, but does not bear rationale thought or reasoning capacity. It's what makes us human. I believe (only my opinions) that even if the realization of a safe FSD were possible, the ramp to get there is just too dangerous.

And the deaths of several people who misuse it (and even those who weren't misusing it)? It is unavoidable that you will have people who abuse the technology.

Edit: re-read your post and I think you are saying that it is hard to abuse it now with the latest software builds. That said, my point is the same: a computer may be nearly infinitely faster than a human mind, but does not bear rationale thought or reasoning capacity. It's what makes us human. I believe (only my opinions) that even if the realization of a safe FSD were possible, the ramp to get there is just too dangerous.
By that definition, are cars not ready for prime time then? Because they are open for abuse.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr

By that logic we should all be walking to our destinations.