Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Beyond unhappy. They haven’t fixed anything listed in my delivery issues checklist. No FSD invite even though I’ve had 99 since February. I wish I hadn’t purchased this car but it is what it is. I just want what I paid for.
Any advice on removing vs. keeping FSD in the purchase? I realize you don’t have the beta invite yet. I added FSD purely to expedite delivery and it hasn’t done jack for me. The only feature I kinda like is basic forward and backward summon. Every once in a while, maybe parallel park assistance. Otherwise, I have little to no interest.

I’m very tempted to remove it, but as my luck would have it, after I added it, Tesla decided to threaten customers who remove FSD with delivery delays.

Reactions: sorka and lexus26
I do think for the current asking price a lot more people are going to be scrutinizing QC on these vehicles. You cross that 6 figure base mark and expectations are definitely different. A majority of people on this forum have some equity in the vehicle already as we ordered before a lot or all of the increases thus it makes sense to just keep (or even flip) the car but take delivery none the less. Also the long long delays in getting a replacement are pushing this. As Tesla starts to catch up to order demand combined with the increased price I do think you see more rejected due to QC issues. Also people need to know what they are looking for and stop assuming a new car is perfect (which they have gotten used to w the large automakers who have fine tuned QC for the most part).

I do think for the current asking price a lot more people are going to be scrutinizing QC on these vehicles. You cross that 6 figure base mark and expectations are definitely different. A majority of people on this forum have some equity in the vehicle already as we ordered before a lot or all of the increases thus it makes sense to just keep (or even flip) the car but take delivery none the less. Also the long long delays in getting a replacement are pushing this. As Tesla starts to catch up to order demand combined with the increased price I do think you see more rejected due to QC issues. Also people need to know what they are looking for and stop assuming a new car is perfect (which they have gotten used to w the large automakers who have fine tuned QC for the most part).
Personally, I'm past the idea that Tesla is a new company and giving it wiggle room for it's quality issues. When it wasn't making a profit and was still building it's reputation, there was a compromise between EV development and final product quality that was understood - now it's got sufficient orders to sustain itself. Maybe they can "invest" some of those profits into doing a better job with the inspections as well as getting down to actually delivering on the product.

Any advice on removing vs. keeping FSD in the purchase? I realize you don’t have the beta invite yet. I added FSD purely to expedite delivery and it hasn’t done jack for me. The only feature I kinda like is basic forward and backward summon. Every once in a while, maybe parallel park assistance. Otherwise, I have little to no interest.

I’m very tempted to remove it, but as my luck would have it, after I added it, Tesla decided to threaten customers who remove FSD with delivery delays.
I wasn’t allowed to remove mine. But others have been successful by talking to the “right” person. I never found this unicorn.

Reactions: lexus26
Beyond unhappy. They haven’t fixed anything listed in my delivery issues checklist. No FSD invite even though I’ve had 99 since February. I wish I hadn’t purchased this car but it is what it is. I just want what I paid for.
Am in the same boat. Listed 6/7 items. They fixed 1, I had to take it to them 3 times last 1 month..
Am my MX is with them last 15 days. FWD door not open completely … finally they fix rear system fault (replaced control module).

Well, I removed FSD. It's hard to imagine being more fed up with Tesla's bull*sugar* (haven't seen that reference in a while!) than I have been up until now, but I am exhausted by them.

I happen to have two MXP's on order. Long story, but I wanted a color change and was afraid that changing my order would bump me in line. So, I put in a second order. It's an expensive way to make sure I get the color I want, as the deposit will not be refunded. But, I was also curious how it would play out - would the more expensive order (due to paint color) be fulfilled first? Meanwhile, as the wait drags on seemingly forever, and I see people take delivery on cars they ordered a year after me, I decided to add FSD to both my orders (10k for old order and 12k for newer one) to see if I could move the needle. It has done nothing.

So, I decided to make this a little experiment. I canceled FSD on my older order and kept it on the new one. The old order has been EDD "July" for a long time and the old one has been "October" the whole time. It will be interesting to see if Tesla finds a way to fulfill my expensive, new order with FSD before my older one without it. I may have also just hosed myself (again, that's another story) if Tesla is truly "punishing" those that cancel FSD.

Will report back here.

I’ve had 3 Teslas with FSD.
I have never used summon.
The most useful feature is changing lanes with the blinker while on AutoPilot.

I don’t care for Nav on AutoPilot either because it never changed lanes when I want to and NEVER will. Even when FSD is fully released many won’t like it.

Do you have any friends or family drivers that you don’t care to drive with because you don’t like how they drive? Maybe they drive to slow, to fast, to passive, to aggressive for your taste. FSD will be your worst driver you don’t like being a passenger with. Driving isn’t just a science. It’s a craft we all do differently. And nobody else drives exactly like you prefer. Maybe someday it will learn your habits and copy them.

Anyway since Teslas don’t have Blind Spot warning that warns BEFORE you change lane the blinker changing lanes makes up for most of it. Just flip it while on autopilot. If you screwed up and missed a car in your blind spot or got distracted by something on the opposite side the car will not enter the lane if it is a unsafe situation. So it’s a nice backup and has a lot of value to me.

To say summon is the most useful is ridiculous.

One other feature I really like is the beep tone on green lights. I can look down at the screen or phone while waiting at red light and not be that jerk sitting at a green light looking down. Not required, not worth $12k but I love that feature. And it works quite well.

Also whining about No FSD Beta is also ridiculous. It’s not being handed out because Tesla knows it’s still a POS and doesn’t want more risk out there. When it does get better it will be more widely distributed. I had it and now I don’t and I could care less. If I knew it was 10x better I would care, but it will be at least a year before we see significant improvement at the rate things are going.

This is a good lesson/reminder to reject a car that has any issues at delivery. Especially since Tesla still appears supply constrained on parts.

I’ve had 3 Teslas with FSD.
I have never used summon.
The most useful feature is changing lanes with the blinker while on AutoPilot.

I don’t care for Nav on AutoPilot either because it never changed lanes when I want to and NEVER will. Even when FSD is fully released many won’t like it.

Do you have any friends or family drivers that you don’t care to drive with because you don’t like how they drive? Maybe they drive to slow, to fast, to passive, to aggressive for your taste. FSD will be your worst driver you don’t like being a passenger with. Driving isn’t just a science. It’s a craft we all do differently. And nobody else drives exactly like you prefer. Maybe someday it will learn your habits and copy them.

Anyway since Teslas don’t have Blind Spot warning that warns BEFORE you change lane the blinker changing lanes makes up for most of it. Just flip it while on autopilot. If you screwed up and missed a car in your blind spot or got distracted by something on the opposite side the car will not enter the lane if it is a unsafe situation. So it’s a nice backup and has a lot of value to me.

One other feature I really like is the beep tone on green lights. I can look down at the screen or phone while waiting at red light and not be that jerk sitting at a green light looking down. Not required, not worth $12k but I love that feature. And it works quite well.

Also whining about No FSD Beta is also ridiculous. It’s not being handed out because Tesla knows it’s still a POS and doesn’t want more risk out there. When it does get better it will be more widely distributed. I had it and now I don’t and I could care less. If I knew it was 10x better I would care, but it will be at least a year before we see significant improvement at the rate things are going.
Interesting take on it. I paid for it years ago on a prior MS. Back then, it was a few grand. I was upsold by my local SA's (you'll have all the new features when Tesla rolls them out, ...) Makes me feel like I was literally swindled.

Interesting take on it. I paid for it years ago on a prior MS. Back then, it was a few grand. I was upsold by my local SA's (you'll have all the new features when Tesla rolls them out, ...) Makes me feel like I was literally swindled.
In fairness to Tesla, and having had a bit of experience developing and training neural networks, there is a vast amount of unknown unknowns that they're dealing with here in developing FSD. Yes, they're (Elon's) forecasting has been aggressive (wrong), but the value potential *is* extremely high. They won't actually know when they'll crack it until after they've cracked it, so anyone paying for FSD is absolutely making a bet.

As long as you're OK with all of that, and enjoy being the "tip of the spear" in terms of early adoption of new tech, go for it. But if you want a complete and baked feature, I'd definitely stay away.

That said, I do think the price is currently too high regardless. The more cars actually using it, the more data they'll get in return, and the faster they'll be able to deliver a more generalizable (safe) solution. Seems like the strategy could use some adjustment.

Last edited:
I mean i wouldn't say that, but i did find it really the only other thing i use other than the lane change on autopilot. It is handy to be able to just back my car out of the garage when i need some space instead of having to climb into the car to move it 20ft with dirty boots and clothes on.

However, it also failed 25% of the time and either wouldn't move, or would leave my car stuck half way out of the garage and then i would have to squeeze in when the car was in a spot where I couldn't get the doors open all the way...

Like pretty much all the FSD features, it would be far more useful if it actually worked reliably, but none of them do.

Shoot. Really sorry to hear this.
I'm sorry too. Hey @Stro have you tried other SC's in your area?

No offense to @kingjones94, but I too, am one of the kings of road trips. Even though I have Beta, before that the NOA and FSD freeway routing alone, was pretty magnificent and worth the cost to me. Over the life of the car, I've realized at least for the freeway routing in L.A. and elsewhere, it's smarter than me.🤣 My wife says it doesn't take much. The thing is pretty damn good at that and takes any fuss out of the nice long drives. But not every one is a constant road tripper.

Last edited:
Well, I removed FSD. It's hard to imagine being more fed up with Tesla's bull*sugar* (haven't seen that reference in a while!) than I have been up until now, but I am exhausted by them.

I happen to have two MXP's on order. Long story, but I wanted a color change and was afraid that changing my order would bump me in line. So, I put in a second order. It's an expensive way to make sure I get the color I want, as the deposit will not be refunded. But, I was also curious how it would play out - would the more expensive order (due to paint color) be fulfilled first? Meanwhile, as the wait drags on seemingly forever, and I see people take delivery on cars they ordered a year after me, I decided to add FSD to both my orders (10k for old order and 12k for newer one) to see if I could move the needle. It has done nothing.

So, I decided to make this a little experiment. I canceled FSD on my older order and kept it on the new one. The old order has been EDD "July" for a long time and the old one has been "October" the whole time. It will be interesting to see if Tesla finds a way to fulfill my expensive, new order with FSD before my older one without it. I may have also just hosed myself (again, that's another story) if Tesla is truly "punishing" those that cancel FSD.

Will report back here.
I have one original order of Jan '21 and one add'l order(FSD) of Feb '22. July(switched to March around EOQ than back again) and October as well. I half expect the Feb '22 order to come in first.

• Informative
Reactions: jbrowdy
For those that switched design how far out was your Edd pushed back? Went from a Plaid to a long range. Vin had been assigned. I released it and then switch to a LR. Ordered early 2021. Current Edd says TBD.
I have changed my config twice in the ~30 days (original order June 4, 2021). The first change was from the black exterior to the white exterior. The second was to change from the 7-seater to the 6-seater config. Still stuck in July placeholder limbo.

Personally, I'm past the idea that Tesla is a new company and giving it wiggle room for it's quality issues. When it wasn't making a profit and was still building it's reputation, there was a compromise between EV development and final product quality that was understood - now it's got sufficient orders to sustain itself. Maybe they can "invest" some of those profits into doing a better job with the inspections as well as getting down to actually delivering on the product.
Agreed. People need to stop making excuses. As you say, other manufacturers have figured this out. It would be simple to hire some people from those places and let them create the processes inside Tesla to build high quality vehicles. Same goes for their non-existent software QA. Again, they are in the Bay Area/Austin. They could find decent Software Engineering people that could processes into place to turn out high quality software. Bad QA/QC is a CHOICE that Tesla has made.