Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
damn @kingjones94, sorry for your troubles. Sounds like you've definitely got some electronic issues. Did you have the charging overheat issue too? And what's your thoughts on your starship other than the issues? Have you launched that bad boy or gapped some clowns yet?
I didn’t have the charging issue. Overall I love the car but it just seems like each week there’s new issues lol. I definitely launched it, even raced a corvette on the freeway 😂💀

You could say this is my "riding off into the sunset" post for this thread, although as one of the TMC moderators it's not like I'm going to disappear. (Well some of you might want me to disappear but anyway... ;) )

Friday I picked up my (now one month old) Palladium (a.k.a. "Refresh") Long Range Model X from OCDetailing, where it was getting a clear PPF wrap. Today (Sunday) I took it on a shakedown cruise from the San Francisco Bay Area to Kettleman City (roughly 400 mile round trip). This was the first chance I had to take the car out on the open road, and it was basically a test prior to using it for some family road trips this summer.

TLDR: Everything worked great, all systems operational.

Various impressions from this drive (about 5 hours driving time), coming from a 2015 Model S 85D:

The seats are way more comfortable (my S has the first-generation leather seats, which are OK around town but not very comfortable on long trips). Lots more roomy interior, which is nice.

Definitely less cabin noise than the S. I guess this isn't a huge surprise. I'm not sure if active noise cancelling did anything (it did claim to have done its calibration and to be "optimized for front occupants" or something like that). Nothing rattling around that I could tell.

The large glass windshield is a big change from the solid roof on my S. It makes everything feel more open, but there's more heat and light. The cabin was definitely warmer than I would have expected, still reasonably comfortable today (May), but I'm wondering how this would drive would go in, say, August. (It gets hot in the San Joaquin Valley during summer, as I know from growing up there.) Also a hat and/or sunglasses are probably a good idea for long trips.

The center armrest is actually usable on the X. Lots of storage space compared to my S (it has the yacht floor, no center console). I didn't think I'd say this but having the wireless phone chargers is pretty nice.

I thought it was interesting that the "heading up" view on the nav display doesn't seem to be exactly a top-down view like what I'm used to seeing, but it's more of a perspective view.

Autopilot worked great for freeway driving. No phantom braking in 400 miles. I'm less sure about Nav on Autopilot...I didn't care for the decisions it made about when to change lanes. I'm not sure if some setting on the Autopilot screen would make this work more like I'd expect. But in any case, basic lane keeping, etc. worked almost as well as AP1 (which I have literally used since Day One of its roll-out). The 80mph limit on auto steer is mildly annoying but it's not hugely different from the 85mph limit on AP1 (and I hear it's supposed to be raised soon).

The yoke is kind of a non-issue as far as driving with it. Once again getting used to lack of stalks. One issue with the yoke is that for me it blocks the lower left corner of the MCU screen. There are two controls there that are somewhat important. One is the control that changes the map orientation ("heading up", "trip", "north up", etc.). The other is the control that brings up the car settings, and other information. I normally wouldn't care about the settings screen, except that's apparently the only way to view the tire pressure or the trip meters (my S is usually displaying one of those on the left side of the IC).

Partially because of the yoke, I'm not sure whether I like a landscape orientation MCU screen or a portrait orientation MCU screen better. In any case both the MCU screen and the IC are much more legible than on my S.

There are now 3 ways to get into the car (key card, phone key, and fob), whereas on the S I only had the fob. I think I might stick with the old-fashioned fob...I'm used to it by now and also that's the only access method that allows easy opening of the frunk (which we often use for leftovers or takeout food).

I was surprised to realize the frunk isn't flat on the bottom (neither is the under-floor trunk storage). This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, although it's a minor issue. I wonder if the X has always been like that?

Trip summary:

I left home with 100% charge (348 rated miles). The basic route was southbound on I-5, to return northbound via the same route. After about 2.5 hours, I arrived at the Kettleman City, CA Supercharger (the original one with the owners lounge) with 31% charge left. I pulled in to one of the V3 stalls and almost immediately the car was pulling 250kW (the maximum). By comparison my Model S can theoretically do about 120kW but only briefly under exactly the right set of circumstances. 23 minutes was enough for the X to add 50% charge to the battery and for me to use the restroom and get a drink. One thing I didn't quite have the nerve to try was opening the FWDs next to the Supercharger pedestals.

From Kettleman City I drove across the highway to the second Kettleman City (Bernard Drive) Supercharger and plugged in there for the first time. (Why? To record this as a site in the "Most Superchargers Visited" competition.) There was only one other car there. I picked up 9% in 12 minutes, pulling out with 92% on the battery. This site will be a lot nicer once it's paved.

Just north of the Harris Ranch Supercharger is a big cattle lot. You can often smell it before you can see it. Bioweapon defense mode worked wonderfully...I literally didn't notice a thing.

I'd originally planned to come back straight home from Kettleman City, but there was quite a lot of headwind going northbound. I opted to stop at Patterson for a brief charge (11 minutes, leaving with 65% SOC). I got back home with a very comfortable 37% SOC.

Admittedly a weird way to spend a Sunday...driving 200 miles, turning around, and driving back. But this was a great way to get some good experience with the car and get some confidence that all the major systems are working.

Thanks to all in this thread for your experiences, advice, and support. I hope everyone who's still awaiting their vehicles get cars in perfect condition, on schedule.

Bruce.

IMG_8690.JPG

One issue with the yoke is that for me it blocks the lower left corner of the MCU screen. There are two controls there that are somewhat important. One is the control that changes the map orientation ("heading up", "trip", "north up", etc.). The other is the control that brings up the car settings, and other information. I normally wouldn't care about the settings screen, except that's apparently the only way to view the tire pressure or the trip meters (my S is usually displaying one of those on the left side of the IC).
Ironically the yoke was designed to allow unobstructed views of the driver screen but now partially blocks the infotainment screen.

haters hate or is this a real issue?

• Informative
Reactions: eggzrule and croman
haters hate or is this a real issue?

The article says only one vehicle was affected.

You could say this is my "riding off into the sunset" post for this thread, although as one of the TMC moderators it's not like I'm going to disappear. (Well some of you might want me to disappear but anyway... ;) )

Friday I picked up my (now one month old) Palladium (a.k.a. "Refresh") Long Range Model X from OCDetailing, where it was getting a clear PPF wrap. Today (Sunday) I took it on a shakedown cruise from the San Francisco Bay Area to Kettleman City (roughly 400 mile round trip). This was the first chance I had to take the car out on the open road, and it was basically a test prior to using it for some family road trips this summer.

Various impressions from this drive (about 5 hours driving time), coming from a 2015 Model S 85D:

The seats are way more comfortable (my S has the first-generation leather seats, which are OK around town but not very comfortable on long trips). Lots more roomy interior, which is nice.

Definitely less cabin noise than the S. I guess this isn't a huge surprise. I'm not sure if active noise cancelling did anything (it did claim to have done its calibration and to be "optimized for front occupants" or something like that). Nothing rattling around that I could tell.

The large glass windshield is a big change from the solid roof on my S. It makes everything feel more open, but there's more heat and light. The cabin was definitely warmer than I would have expected, still reasonably comfortable today (May), but I'm wondering how this would drive would go in, say, August. (It gets hot in the San Joaquin Valley during summer, as I know from growing up there.) Also a hat and/or sunglasses are probably a good idea for long trips.

The center armrest is actually usable on the X. Lots of storage space compared to my S (it has the yacht floor, no center console). I didn't think I'd say this but having the wireless phone chargers is pretty nice.

I thought it was interesting that the "heading up" view on the nav display doesn't seem to be exactly a top-down view like what I'm used to seeing, but it's more of a perspective view.

Autopilot worked great for freeway driving. No phantom braking in 400 miles. I'm less sure about Nav on Autopilot...I didn't care for the decisions it made about when to change lanes. I'm not sure if some setting on the Autopilot screen would make this work more like I'd expect. But in any case, basic lane keeping, etc. worked almost as well as AP1 (which I have literally used since Day One of its roll-out). The 80mph limit on auto steer is mildly annoying but it's not hugely different from the 85mph limit on AP1 (and I hear it's supposed to be raised soon).

The yoke is kind of a non-issue as far as driving with it. Once again getting used to lack of stalks. One issue with the yoke is that for me it blocks the lower left corner of the MCU screen. There are two controls there that are somewhat important. One is the control that changes the map orientation ("heading up", "trip", "north up", etc.). The other is the control that brings up the car settings, and other information. I normally wouldn't care about the settings screen, except that's apparently the only way to view the tire pressure or the trip meters (my S is usually displaying one of those on the left side of the IC).

Partially because of the yoke, I'm not sure whether I like a landscape orientation MCU screen or a portrait orientation MCU screen better. In any case both the MCU screen and the IC are much more legible than on my S.

There are now 3 ways to get into the car (key card, phone key, and fob), whereas on the S I only had the fob. I think I might stick with the old-fashioned fob...I'm used to it by now and also that's the only access method that allows easy opening of the frunk (which we often use for leftovers or takeout food).

I was surprised to realize the frunk isn't flat on the bottom (neither is the under-floor trunk storage). This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, although it's a minor issue. I wonder if the X has always been like that?

Trip summary:

I left home with 100% charge (348 rated miles). The basic route was southbound on I-5, to return northbound via the same route. After about 2.5 hours, I arrived at the Kettleman City, CA Supercharger (the original one with the owners lounge) with 31% charge left. I pulled in to one of the V3 stalls and almost immediately the car was pulling 250kW (the maximum). By comparison my Model S can theoretically do about 120kW but only briefly under exactly the right set of circumstances. 23 minutes was enough for the X to add 50% charge to the battery and for me to use the restroom and get a drink. One thing I didn't quite have the nerve to try was opening the FWDs next to the Supercharger pedestals.

From Kettleman City I drove across the highway to the second Kettleman City (Bernard Drive) Supercharger and plugged in there for the first time. (Why? To record this as a site in the "Most Superchargers Visited" competition.) There was only one other car there. I picked up 9% in 12 minutes, pulling out with 92% on the battery. This site will be a lot nicer once it's paved.

Just north of the Harris Ranch Supercharger is a big cattle lot. You can often smell it before you can see it. Bioweapon defense mode worked wonderfully...I literally didn't notice a thing.

I'd originally planned to come back straight home from Kettleman City, but there was quite a lot of headwind going northbound. I opted to stop at Patterson for a brief charge (11 minutes, leaving with 65% SOC). I got back home with a very comfortable 37% SOC.

Admittedly a weird way to spend a Sunday...driving 200 miles, turning around, and driving back. But this was a great way to get some good experience with the car and get some confidence that all the major systems are working.

Thanks to all in this thread for your experiences, advice, and support. I hope everyone who's still awaiting their vehicles get cars in perfect condition, on schedule.

Bruce.

View attachment 799616
I can totally relate to opening FWDs in tight spaces. I am so afraid of opening it in parking lots and even my garage with our other car parked next to it (my first X, my first Tesla too). As I told my wife, who is the primary driver, just submit yourself to the machine :)

Reactions: bmah
Random Q for 22 inch wheels.

Mine did not come with these fillers (shown in pictures). I received my refresh 12/31/21 so assume they forgot / were in a rush (or unavailable). Service said they'll order them for me.

I noticed other pictures without these fillers - and either other owners don't have them, like the look without them, or didn't know they were something available (maybe in Frunk for some).

Any thoughts?View attachment 799106
I bought my 22’s used and did not receive them. I looked on the Tesla parts site and there’s an aero kit so I ordered it. It’s supposed to be here next week.

I’m yet to see a picture of a delivered refresh X with them.

Reactions: XLAX
I can totally relate to opening FWDs in tight spaces. I am so afraid of opening it in parking lots and even my garage with our other car parked next to it (my first X, my first Tesla too). As I told my wife, who is the primary driver, just submit yourself to the machine :)
FWD's can open in way tighter spaces than regular doors. Try it. If they can't open they won't. Your machines doors are way more bad ass than people realize. Mine opens fine in tight spaces like this:

Last edited:

Trip summary:

Bruce.

View attachment 799616
Wonderful write up, @bmah . And thank you for all you've done and continue to do for this space. For looks I was thinking of buying 22's to drape a 2nd pair of summer tires on mine but looking at your starship, it looks quite pleasing enough-- unless those are 22's? I've done that route in reverse from L.A., and stopped at both chargers then a turnaround, to up my safety score to 99 successfully. Those cattle ranches used to be absolutely formidable, horrible encounters until bioweapon defense mode and I'm appreciative.

I'm quite intrigued by your comment that the X is quieter than your old S. Maybe because your older model is less quiet than a 2018 S that I had as a loaner? I was shocked at how quiet and compliant the ride was of that 2018S was to my 2018 X. But still I'm happy to hear your refresh is quieter than your S.

How was your acceleration on that open road? Was the yoke more comfortable for you in general for a longer drive? Does the AC compare favorably?

• Helpful
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
The article says only one vehicle was affected.

Only one they've admitted to knowing about. Their procedures, as the article lays out, were not even followed. Basic safety stuff. This is egregious and beyond "building the machine that builds the machine" hype bullshit. It points to a complete lackadaisical attitude. Holy cow!

BTW, this completely validates @Stro. I will be pulling on my seats like a psycho. I'd rather slip a disc knowing I torqued that seat as hard as I could rather than find out the hard way.