Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S: constant buzzing noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New new refreshed Model S (delivered in late June) with VIN 145xxx almost always has a buzzing noise, heard loudest near the driver's side front wheel. This is heard after the car is parked, and off/locked for a while. It's NOT the AC and it's not the car waking up when it detects the keyfob (the keyfob is well away from the car).

I realize this is probably the thermal battery management coolant pump but it seems to be running all the time, and even when it's not very hot or cold outside: I've heard it in a parking garage, after a cool summer evening rain with external temps of 16C (60F) in the shade (as in this video). The guys installing my paint protection film in a cool, shaded, airconditioned installation shop commented on it as well.

This noise is definitely more noticeable and more frequent than my original S (VIN 16000's). Thus, I'm no stranger to Teslas, and this is definitely different. I've sent the video to my local SC and they are looking into it, but I thought I'd ask others if their refreshed S's are doing the same thing.

Here's a video. Again, the AC is NOT on and the car is parked, keyfob inside the house and far from the car, 16C outside after a cool rain in the shade:

While I don't really get bothered by the noise, I wonder if it's adding to vampire drain, excess load on the coolant system, or some other issue. It certainly flies in the face of the concept that Teslas are silent cars, and ironic that a Tesla that is off is noisier than an ICE car!

On a related but definitely separate note, I think the AC in this model is also louder than my prior S. The older VIN 16000 S had the AC blanket fix to muffle it, which made a difference, but the newer VIN145xxx refreshed S's AC is quite loud when running.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Interested in what they say... keep us posted.

None of this is helpful to you -- but I have heard this noise as well but I think it usually has to do with the AC (summer here, 80-90 degrees) or the car waking up. I am going to pay more attention though for next time as there have been situations I vaguely remember wondering why the car was buzzing (70D 144xxx).

Thanks: we likely need more reports from owners and yours is helpful. Since it's summer for most of us, I think people might be assuming it's battery thermal management, but keep an eye out if the buzzing occurs on cooler nights, or in cooler parking garages. Ideally without a keyfob nearby to eliminate the factor of a car trying to wake up for it's owner.

VIN 149xxx, coolant pump runs every time one of the doors open, which triggers the 12V DC to DC charger.

The other condition when it's on, is while charging the HV battery. The coolant pump, on my MS, runs continously during charging at 24 amps at 240VAC, and will also do so with 12 amps at 120VAC.

I hear mine making various noises out in the garage sometimes. One night I went out there and there was a glow coming from the right headlight. It was only visible when the lights were off. I only saw it once.

Mine is a refresh 90D too.

That sounds like a scroll compressor, which as far as I'm aware the Model S has only one of for the A/C.

Do you have pre-conditioning enabled by chance?

The car also uses the A/C compressor to cool the battery, for example when Supercharging. Maybe a bug where the car is reading the battery warmer than it actually is?

No preconditioning. Again the car is off with no keyfo but nearby. The sound the AC compressor makes is considerably louder (also a potential issue in this model) and the AC sound seems to come from an area that's higher in the frunk. This buzzing seems to be loudest near the front drivers wheel well.

It's been heard in air conditioned installation bays.

Tesla is asking me to log dates and times and they are doing remote diagnostics to see what the car is sensing and doing at the same time.

For others it might be worth noting date and time you hear this sound (I'm also logging external temps). Your local service Center might also use that and compare it against the car's logs to help with diagnosis.

Pretty sure that's the Battery Management System, which is tied in with the AC coolant system. The car is designed to keep the batteries within a very tight temperature range for optimal battery life, and the system is designed to fire up whether you are in the car or not, and whether the fob is present or not.

Be interesting to see if Tesla says this is an out of spec problem, but I have my doubts given what I have seen on our two older S's.

Thanks! My new car's name is the Flying Squirrel. That's how I feel driving in it.

We have two 5 month old kittens. Since they are Siberian Forest Cats (and hypoallergenic), my SO named them Moose and Squirrel in Russian (Sokhaty and Belka), but we refer to them as just Moose and Squirrel. Squirrel likes to sleep with he legs stretched out behind her like she's flying. She also is kind of nutty, so the name fits. Moose is only 5 months old, but is already the size of an average adult cat, so we think she's going to live up to her name too.

Our 21 year old cat went to the great beyond about 2 weeks after I got my car. He had a good run, but his body finally gave out.

BTW, I like the new avatar too.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
This is the glycol cooling system. It runs anytime the DC-DC converter is enabled to charge the 12V battery, so this is anytime the contactors are closed. It's normal, and most cars do it a few times a day, usually for an hour are so. You'll hear the contactors go "Click Clunk" and then the pumps will kick on. When the charge cycle completes, the contactors will drop out with a soft "clunk" and the pumps will spool down. Anytime you wake up the car, the contactors close in anticipation for the drive, and if the 12v needs charging at that point, they will go ahead and stay closed until the charge completes, even if you shut the doors and walk away.