Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe? But, the vibration goes away if you press the accelerator down a bit farther or release it. It's a very specific spot in the pedal.
I’ve found that not to be exactly the case. I can feel the vibration at just about any reasonable pedal press. It’s just easier to feel it at slower acceleration because it’s only a small range of mph that exhibits the issue so it’s a blink and you’ll miss it scenario if you press too hard.

Reactions: jebinc
So I recently discovered I get vibration if I floor it but not if its a slow accelaration (feels nearly smooth). It almost feels like its coming from drivetrain / wheels / floor. Vibration goes away when I let off the accelerrator. I actually don't recall this being an issue until recently (above 800 mi on odometer). I'll keep monitoring this closely.

I’ve never noticed anything like this in my LR (early one, delivered end of June), but I’ll look for it next chance I get (which might be a while with current weather and delay in getting winter tires).

I’ve never noticed anything like this in my LR (early one, delivered end of June), but I’ll look for it next chance I get (which might be a while with current weather and delay in getting winter tires).
Yeah, it’s bloody annoying not being able to drive because Tesla didn’t make winter tires available for these cars, and even when they had their set of winter wheels+tires listed for sale, they weren’t really available and still aren’t (none have shipped!).

Reactions: GroovaEV and jebinc
Can you press Tesla further on this now, given that it’s noticeably worse?
I let them know and they forwarded the info to tesla engineering. I'm waiting on a response but I'm guessing that won't happen until more and more people have the same issue. I'm not letting it spoil my fun though... the car has been awesome the last 3300 miles and I can live with a little vibration in specific scenarios for a while :)
There are still times when I can't reproduce it though which I find very odd. That is what makes me believe it is the half shafts combined with something else.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
Would be interesting to have a camera mounted solidly to view the dynamics of the inner universal during acceleration versus cruise as the suspension goes through it's range. Wondering of the amount of fore and aft movement of the wheel spindle/hub as suspensions are soft mounted so as not to transmit road noise.... Would love a chance to look at this on a lift!

Would be interesting to have a camera mounted solidly to view the dynamics of the inner universal during acceleration versus cruise as the suspension goes through it's range. Wondering of the amount of fore and aft movement of the wheel spindle/hub as suspensions are soft mounted so as not to transmit road noise.... Would love a chance to look at this on a lift!
Yeah. You'd probably need a high speed camera, since the vibration might be faster than the camera frame rate.

Just a thought here. On my 2016MX and my 2015 85D, we had a nasty front end vibration under hard acceleration. When it 1st happened, they recommended keeping the cars in "low" to see if the problem was alleviated. It did in fact help.
Since then the half shafts were replaced twice on the MX and 3 times in the MS. The problem was finally resolved after who knows how many iterations of the half shafts. This was 2-3 yrs ago.
I since sold the 85D and replaced it with the plaid. I always run the plaid in low, cause I like the stance, but I think maybe it might affect the "vibration" people are experiencing with the plaids. I have never been able to replicate it following the posts recommendations to do so. My car has over 7k on the clock.
So my question to you all with the vibration; does it change by lowering the car?

Just a thought here. On my 2016MX and my 2015 85D, we had a nasty front end vibration under hard acceleration. When it 1st happened, they recommended keeping the cars in "low" to see if the problem was alleviated. It did in fact help.
Since then the half shafts were replaced twice on the MX and 3 times in the MS. The problem was finally resolved after who knows how many iterations of the half shafts. This was 2-3 yrs ago.
I since sold the 85D and replaced it with the plaid. I always run the plaid in low, cause I like the stance, but I think maybe it might affect the "vibration" people are experiencing with the plaids. I have never been able to replicate it following the posts recommendations to do so. My car has over 7k on the clock.
So my question to you all with the vibration; does it change by lowering the car?
Nope, it doesn’t. I also roll on the lowest setting. Have from day 1.

• Informative
Reactions: Muzzman1