Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, just wanted to share that my persistent vibration issues coming from the front of my car were 100% resolved after Tesla service replaced the front drive shafts.

Hi guys, new to the forum and have spent an hour or reading this thread. As you can probably guess, my 23’ S Plaid has the vibration. I noticed it a week after taking delivery in March. It’s only noticeable when driving 20-40MPH. Once I hit 40, it’s smooth as glass.

I had taken the car in for a variety of repairs, mostly small non-mechanical issues (paint, windshield wipers, trim, etc). This was the only “serious” issue. The tech confirmed the vibration and flagged it for engineering. I got it back about three weeks ago. The vibration may be getting a little worse, hard to tell.

I think my plan of attack is to pressure Tesla to replace the half shafts. Then, install N2itive’s complete kit as soon as I get it back.

Regarding the debate as to whether I regret buying the car because of this issue (and the others I mentioned above)… I do not. Sure, I’m disappointed that a $120K car was apparently assembled by toddlers with zero quality control. But that peel-your-face-off acceleration is worth it.

• Funny
Reactions: Propofoln
Well, mostly bad news. I went to pickup my car today after more than a month in service to fix the suspension squeak. They fixed the suspension squeak, but the half shaft vibration is back and as strong as ever. They also messed up the alignment in the process, so the yoke isn't straight anymore. I'd guess something to do with dropping the front subframe. Maybe it didn't go back in the same spot and the spot it is in now made the half shaft alignment worse? Or the fastener torque. As described below, they said they undertorqued something in the subframe. Maybe having the subframe fasteners tight reduces the vibration and as they loosen up the vibration gets worse? I don't know. Making up things now. Here are the details from the invoice.

1685741089682.png

1685741125961.png

Well, mostly bad news. I went to pickup my car today after more than a month in service to fix the suspension squeak. They fixed the suspension squeak, but the half shaft vibration is back and as strong as ever. They also messed up the alignment in the process, so the yoke isn't straight anymore. I'd guess something to do with dropping the front subframe. Maybe it didn't go back in the same spot and the spot it is in now made the half shaft alignment worse? Or the fastener torque. As described below, they said they undertorqued something in the subframe. Maybe having the subframe fasteners tight reduces the vibration and as they loosen up the vibration gets worse? I don't know. Making up things now. Here are the details from the invoice.

View attachment 943356

View attachment 943357
Bummer.

View attachment 943356

View attachment 943357
Yep, this is similar to what happened to my vibration-free Plaid even though I had ~15k miles. Took it in for a suspension rattle, and after the second time of attempting to fix it, the vibration started and never stopped

Reactions: jebinc

View attachment 943356

View attachment 943357
That really, really sucks. I'm sorry. What a giant pita... Can you find out if it was the same tech that installed the half shafts the first time?

Reactions: jebinc and aerodyne
Yep, this is similar to what happened to my vibration-free Plaid even though I had ~15k miles. Took it in for a suspension rattle, and after the second time of attempting to fix it, the vibration started and never stopped
I’d be interested if they loosened it back up if the vibration goes away again. Definitely changes the resonance of a system when you tighten/loosen things.

I’d be interested if they loosened it back up if the vibration goes away again. Definitely changes the resonance of a system when you tighten/loosen things.
Lowering pretty much solved my half shaft vibration, but I got a new rattle at 20 mph. Tesla service has a vibration team and they re-torqued the whole front suspension but to no avail. Then they made the passenger door harder to close by moving the latch and she is now rattle free. The door is not a slammer, but definitely firmer to close. As you say, resonance changes.

Lowering pretty much solved my half shaft vibration, but I got a new rattle at 20 mph. Tesla service has a vibration team and they re-torqued the whole front suspension but to no avail. Then they made the passenger door harder to close by moving the latch and she is now rattle free. The door is not a slammer, but definitely firmer to close. As you say, resonance changes.
Good to hear. I brought mine in to fix my suspension squeak. 36 days later, the squeak is quieter, but the half shaft vibration is back and stronger than ever. :-(

Reactions: jebinc
I'm pretty sure they would have to remove the brake rotors, since the half shafts connect to them.

Here's what they did:
View attachment 933817
View attachment 933818

Text:
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR,LEFT HAND(1420113-00-B)
Correction: Halfshaft - Front Drive Unit - RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
Quantity
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR,RIGHT HAND(1420119-00-B)
Rotors not being removed or touched along with caliper. Only nut on holding half shaft in housing and control arm to let suspension and hub to swing out of way of removing half shaft from drive unit.

I am soo bummed to hear that...I don't know what to say. I was really hoping your tighter speced half-shafts would fix this 35-40 mph light acceleration vibration problem. And now you have additional suspension issues!? And jebinc's tag is "Endlessly Vibrating MS PLAID"!. Dammit! I wanted to upgrade my 2017 S 75 RWD. We should perform a sad ritual with tears and fire and brimstone...

I am soo bummed to hear that...I don't know what to say. I was really hoping your tighter speced half-shafts would fix this 35-40 mph light acceleration vibration problem. And now you have additional suspension issues!? And jebinc's tag is "Endlessly Vibrating MS PLAID"!. Dammit! I wanted to upgrade my 2017 S 75 RWD. We should perform a sad ritual with tears and fire and brimstone...
Yeah. Me too. I've had a suspension squeak for a while, since one of the previous half shaft replacements. I thought they could fix the suspension squeak since the other refresh S loaners I have had don't have it. But in the end they weren't able to fix the squeak and they brought back the half shaft vibration. So really accomplished nothing in 35 days. Also my alignments off now. They tried fixing it and the yolk still isn't centered when going straight. So no steps forward one step back.

Yeah. Me too. I've had a suspension squeak for a while, since one of the previous half shaft replacements. I thought they could fix the suspension squeak since the other refresh S loaners I have had don't have it. But in the end they weren't able to fix the squeak and they brought back the half shaft vibration. So really accomplished nothing in 35 days. Also my alignments off now. They tried fixing it and the yolk still isn't centered when going straight. So no steps forward one step back.
So what we know is that your car vibrated, service disassembled and reassembled it and the vibration was gone. (Disregard the new half shafts for now) Then they took it apart and reassembled again and the vibration is back with a host of other issues. This has happened to others after service on front suspension. Sounds process related.

So what we know is that your car vibrated, service disassembled and reassembled it and the vibration was gone. (Disregard the new half shafts for now) Then they took it apart and reassembled again and the vibration is back with a host of other issues. This has happened to others after service on front suspension. Sounds process related.
My guess is alignment of the subframe is critical. The motor subframe wasn't put back in the right spot.

No, it’s “Endless vibrating Plaid with FSDj;” where “j” denotes Junk! 💩🤌🤣
@Ramphex @WilliamG