Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen Braking to low button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can purchase a set of S3XY buttons from Abstract Ocean. One of the functions provided by the S3XY buttons is Low regenerative braking.

S3XY Buttons

I have Low regenerative braking, standard, on my 2020 Long Range Model Y. I never use the Low setting. I might use it if I drove on snow and ice but I leave my Model Y parked on days when the roads are like that.

It might just be subjective but I feel that compared to Standard regenerative braking when new the current Standard regenerative braking feels reduced. I have no data, only that Standard regenerative braking feels much more tame now.

Reactions: Dantley
They removed it for a reason. Elon said. Brakes take energy a turn it into wasted heat. Regen turns it back into energy. I’m not being a jerk here. But just learn to feather the go pedal a bit more. You do not have to come off of it 100%. Just like you don’t put it on the carpet every time you take off. You can make it feel like coasting with a light touch. Saves money on juice and I can’t see ever having to replace brake pads. I only tap the brakes a couple times a day, and I am always moving quickly.

They removed it for a reason. Elon said. Brakes take energy a turn it into wasted heat. Regen turns it back into energy. I’m not being a jerk here. But just learn to feather the go pedal a bit more. You do not have to come off of it 100%. Just like you don’t put it on the carpet every time you take off. You can make it feel like coasting with a light touch. Saves money on juice and I can’t see ever having to replace brake pads. I only tap the brakes a couple times a day, and I am always moving quickly.
I still think low regen braking option would be good to have. I dont see what the harm is in having the option.

Reactions: Matias
I still think low regen braking option would be good to have. I dont see what the harm is in having the option.

"Harm?" probably none. The reason it was removed likely has to do with stuff like rated range, etc. I am just guessing, but I remember when BMW added auto start / stop to their ICE vehicles, and at first it was easy to turn it off as a feature, but then they removed it.

When people dug into that, it had to do with the fact that if it was easily able to be turned off by an owner, any mileage savings / lack of exhaust etc from that feature could not be used in their vehicle compliance numbers.

I would imagine that its something like that.

"Harm?" probably none. The reason it was removed likely has to do with stuff like rated range, etc. I am just guessing, but I remember when BMW added auto start / stop to their ICE vehicles, and at first it was easy to turn it off as a feature, but then they removed it.

When people dug into that, it had to do with the fact that if it was easily able to be turned off by an owner, any mileage savings / lack of exhaust etc from that feature could not be used in their vehicle compliance numbers.

I would imagine that its something like that.
It shouldn't matter. People should know that range varies anyways on an EV depending if you are driving mostly local or highways. If you have full regen on but you are driving 90% highways your range is gonna suck more than someone who is driving 80% local streets with low regen enabled since the opportunities for regen braking are higher. I gotta thing that some of those EV range estimates are baking in that you are doing some sort of regen braking but how much we don't know.

Trying to force everyone into some EPA thing is crazy. I mean its like people who try to hit the pedal to the metal on their gas cars are gonna use up more gas than those that just ease on the accelerator. Not really any difference.

It shouldn't matter. People should know that range varies anyways on an EV depending if you are driving mostly local or highways. If you have full regen on but you are driving 90% highways your range is gonna suck more than someone who is driving 80% local streets with low regen enabled since the opportunities for regen braking are higher.

Trying to force everyone into some EPA thing is crazy. I mean its like people who try to hit the pedal to the metal on their gas cars are gonna use up more gas than those that just ease on the accelerator. Not really any difference.

Government regulations / reporting matter to companies, not to individual owners.

Why would we want people to have an option that wastes energy and puts more brake pad particulates into the air?

If the argument is "more choice"... there are many things that *could* be done to increase people's number of choices, but that doesn't make it desirable.

If you allow people to turn regen braking off / low, many drivers will immediately turn it off just because they don't want change. Instead, if they just spend one day driving with regen on, they'll quickly realize how much better it is.

The only valid argument (IMO) for turning regen off is Winter driving, but as already mentioned - just learn to feather the pedal.

Single pedal driving for life!!!

I'm always willing to learn, so this is a good faith question. I fail to see where the advantage is to having a 'low regen' setting, vs adjusting the regen via the drive pedal. I mean the entire point of the drive pedal is that you can adjust speed and torque (positive and negative). If I want less, just push it less. Kind of like the volume setting for the sound system. If you want it less loud, you adjust it lower. No need to limit the range of the slider.

I do see one situation where I want zero regen. In very slippery road conditions. If you start to slip, the normal reaction is to instantly take the foot off the pedal. That makes regen kick in and the negative torque is most likely causing the wheels to slip more. Free rolling would be the best to regain grip. I know this situation from personal experience well. But outside of that, why would you limit the maximal available regen if you can adjusting perfectly with your foot?

I often hear this from people who recently came from ICE vehicles and their muscle memory from years of driving ICE is to let go of the accelerator. They just always let go of the accelerator and don't like the car slowing down. It also has to do with people thinking that coasting is some magical type of motion that costs zero energy and it would be better than regen as regen isn't 100% efficient. I won't even attempt to unpack all the false thinking here...

But again, I'm open to learing. Why is limiting the maximum amount of possible regen vs using the drive pedal better?

Most people that ask for that drive in winter / slippery conditions, from what I hear. I'm not against choice. I personally have that option (2020 model 3) but never use it even though I drive on snow and ice 4-5 months out of the year. I find the car's traction and stability controls very safe. There is a slight slip when regen is too high for available grip, and some people dislike the sensation of the rear end slipping . They feel like they are losing control. I presume it's worse on a RWD car as the AWD moves some regen to the front motor when slip happens in the back.
Ideally you could reduce automatic regen and the brake pedal would blend in the remaining regen when it can so you wouldn't technically lose any regen when the grip level is high enough. I don't understand why Tesla don't offer that option, for those that want it.

But again, I'm open to learing. Why is limiting the maximum amount of possible regen vs using the drive pedal better?
A low regen mode that doesn’t activate the brake lights when you let off the accelerator is something I’d use every now and then.

Probably mostly on the freeway. Sometimes you want to shift around in the seat or give your foot a quick break without quickly slowing down and brake lights coming on, or without turning on TACC.

Not the end of the world of course but would be nice to have the option.