Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue isn't really specific to
I know, I think the author did an amazing job on the apple one, I have looked at it extensively. I hope Tesla allows it to keep functioning.
That issue isn't specific to the app, it is more to do with keeping an API system that is accessible as it is used by lots of third party "apps" such as VisibleTesla, Eve, EVMote, Teslalog, Remote S, etc

Allen, (and maybe Ingineer),
I can't remotely unlock my P85D, Dec 2014 build with any app. I also can't remotely start the car using any app. Because I have installed a Blackvue, artsci's Appliqué, and a few other things, my service center thinks I may have a CAN issue. I don't believe that, but I can't prove it, and it does look like something related to security is involved, because I can lock the car, flash lights, control pano, and honk the horn remotely. I did an LTE upgrade, but never tested the functions prior to the upgrade, so I don't know if the functions worked prior to the LTE upgrade, but to me that is suspicious. Especially since the center console had to be replaced due to damage incurred in the upgrade, and the car's memory was lost. Are you aware of a common function, wire, control, etc, between remote start and unlock?

Allen: I hope you're doing well.

Any news on if/when you'd be releasing an update for Watch OS 3? As it stands right now, RemoteS does seem to launch faster on Watch OS 3 but obviously, we'd love to have an optimized version. Not sure if there is any further development happening on this front with the patent troll, etc.

Still loving the app -- have tried others and keep coming back to Remote S!

Any news on if/when you'd be releasing an update for Watch OS 3? As it stands right now, RemoteS does seem to launch faster on Watch OS 3 but obviously, we'd love to have an optimized version. Not sure if there is any further development happening on this front with the patent troll, etc.

If you have not, ensure you have Remote S installed in the Apple Watch dock, as up to 10 apps installed there operate much faster. As you say, Remote S works even better as a result of the watchOS 3 update, but I suspect we're always going to have a bit of a delay given MS still has to be communicated to (watch->phone->Tesla and back ;)). Allen's upthread post 9 days ago said the next iteration would be optimized for watchOS 3, so I suspect it's just a matter of time until he gets it done and through Apple's approval process.

It would be really great to have the car charge % as an Apple Watch complication. Are there any plans to add this feature? Sorry if this has already been asked...
I think that's a great idea for an enhancement... even bettter in the short space, perhaps display three things next to one another: Locked/Unlocked Icon -- Plugged-in or Not Icon -- Charge%
I'd then have most of what I look for any time, and with one touch of the complication, be at the Remote S app for full function on my watch.

I'm wondering though if there could be an issue with currency displaying the info as a complication. To save battery, I believe Remote S goes out to your vehicle to get current stats only when it's in the foreground, and that's why there is a slight delay to the refreshed data when you bring the app up from even being in the background, let alone being started on either your iPhone or Watch. That's fine by me... but if some data were shown as a complication, it would then be only as current as the last time Remote S went out to get the data and it could give you a false representation with data that becomes increasingly out-of-date until you pull the whole App up on the watch or iPhone... Not sure that would be good, or what reasonable alternatives Allen can think of, or if watchOS 2 vs 3 may provide improvements that could be utilized some way. I'll just defer to Allen, as I'm over my head now in programming and technical detail.

Here's an idea for a low-priority (but I'm guessing easy) enhancement...is it possible to display the car's firmware rev (like the car_version return value from the vehicle_state call)? There have been a few times when I've wanted to know this but didn't have some other easy way to find out (short of getting into the car and checking on the CID). Apologies if this is hidden somewhere in the Remote S UI but I've just missed it somehow.

Thanks!

Bruce.

Here's an idea for a low-priority (but I'm guessing easy) enhancement...is it possible to display the car's firmware rev (like the car_version return value from the vehicle_state call)? There have been a few times when I've wanted to know this but didn't have some other easy way to find out (short of getting into the car and checking on the CID). Apologies if this is hidden somewhere in the Remote S UI but I've just missed it somehow.

Thanks!

Bruce.
Didn't know that this was what people wanted, but yes, I could display that somewhere. Not exactly sure where, though. The screen is already really packed with data displays. Perhaps, I could introduce a data dump where you can press a button to email the entire Tesla log to yourself for record keeping or debugging or firmware checking etc.

Allen, (and maybe Ingineer),
I can't remotely unlock my P85D, Dec 2014 build with any app. I also can't remotely start the car using any app. Because I have installed a Blackvue, artsci's Appliqué, and a few other things, my service center thinks I may have a CAN issue. I don't believe that, but I can't prove it, and it does look like something related to security is involved, because I can lock the car, flash lights, control pano, and honk the horn remotely. I did an LTE upgrade, but never tested the functions prior to the upgrade, so I don't know if the functions worked prior to the LTE upgrade, but to me that is suspicious. Especially since the center console had to be replaced due to damage incurred in the upgrade, and the car's memory was lost. Are you aware of a common function, wire, control, etc, between remote start and unlock?
I would ask one of the people who hacked the Center Console about this. They have more information about this subject matter than I do.

A release for Watch OS 3 is not a matter of "if", but "when". The next update to Remote S will be for Watch OS 3. There were several delays to development: 1) My car accident took 2+ months for me to get my car back (I got my car back three weeks ago, but I've also been out of town since two weeks ago, so I don't have access to my car again). 2) I was waiting for Watch OS 3 and iOS 10 to come out. 3) It's going to take some time for porting from Watch OS 1 to 3 and doing testing.

I return home next week, and that's when I can finally start working on the app again. I have approximately a month before I lose access to my Tesla again until mid-December. So if nothing else goes wrong (fingers crossed), I will have an update for Remote S before the end of the October.

It would be really great to have the car charge % as an Apple Watch complication. Are there any plans to add this feature? Sorry if this has already been asked...
Priority is to port Watch OS 1 to OS 3 first and fix Homelink/Summon. And then I can work on additional features from there. Watch complication was a common request, so I'll give it a try and see if it makes sense to add it (i.e. the information isn't too outdated to be sensible to display on the complication.)

I think that's a great idea for an enhancement... even bettter in the short space, perhaps display three things next to one another: Locked/Unlocked Icon -- Plugged-in or Not Icon -- Charge%
I'd then have most of what I look for any time, and with one touch of the complication, be at the Remote S app for full function on my watch.

I'm wondering though if there could be an issue with currency displaying the info as a complication. To save battery, I believe Remote S goes out to your vehicle to get current stats only when it's in the foreground, and that's why there is a slight delay to the refreshed data when you bring the app up from even being in the background, let alone being started on either your iPhone or Watch. That's fine by me... but if some data were shown as a complication, it would then be only as current as the last time Remote S went out to get the data and it could give you a false representation with data that becomes increasingly out-of-date until you pull the whole App up on the watch or iPhone... Not sure that would be good, or what reasonable alternatives Allen can think of, or if watchOS 2 vs 3 may provide improvements that could be utilized some way. I'll just defer to Allen, as I'm over my head now in programming and technical detail.
Yes, Remote S only updates the app when it's in the foreground because apps can't run in the background. But if you enable Background App Refresh for the app, it can possibly update the app whenever Apple thinks that you might want it to update (i.e. it updates based on how frequently and when you open Remote S in the past). Remote S also currently shares information between the iPhone and Watch so that if one updates, the other gets updated as well.

I must say that with Watch OS 3, even the current version of RemoteS loads much faster if you keep it as one of the docked watch apps. It at least launches, but the data refresh I suppose is dependent on the host iPhone app. Would a WatchOS 3 version be able to reach out and sync and control the car on its own via WiFi (and, when out of WiFi, via the iPhone)?

Looking forward to the next version! If you need a beta tester please PM me!

Shouldn't showing the complication trigger a poll for information update on the phone, if you have background refresh on?
I would hope not, as every time I turn my wrist and my watch face displays -- dozens or a hundred or more times per day, my watch would talk to my iPhone to Tesla to my MS and back. For me, that's too much battery usage at multiple points. What other complications seem to do, is update at some regular schedule in the background (that I don't quite understand), so they can be out of sync perhaps slightly (like temperature, my calendar and reminders, etc) by a few seconds, but catch up fairy quickly if I'm staring at my watch long enough. If I want complete info, I touch the complication and the whole app (like Remote S) appears on my watch face... and if I have the app installed in the dock (new feature in watchOS 3), it is more likely to be current and displays faster when I do decide to pull it up.

question for users or developer, I can't seem to get the remote start to show on my iWatch am i missing something? I've found the screen where it should show but I only have the other 3 buttons on that screen (Honk Unlock and start HVAC) without an option for remote start?

question for users or developer, I can't seem to get the remote start to show on my iWatch am i missing something? I've found the screen where it should show but I only have the other 3 buttons on that screen (Honk Unlock and start HVAC) without an option for remote start?
NVM figured it out, had to log out on my iPhone and log back in and change the option on the login screen to enable this feature on my watch

What is the possibility of having a feature where it notify you that

1) You forgot to fully close the door and you are away from the car

2) You forgot to plug in your charger at the scheduled charge start time

Finally bought the damn Apple Watch, but on delay waiting delivery ehhahahah

• Helpful
Reactions: Techlead
What is the possibility of having a feature where it notify you that

1) You forgot to fully close the door and you are away from the car

2) You forgot to plug in your charger at the scheduled charge start time

Finally bought the damn Apple Watch, but on delay waiting delivery ehhahahah
IIRC from previous discussions upthread, the net is these sort of things require a server-based solution that stays in more continuous contact with your vehicle, not the essentially standalone implementations we have running on our iPhone and Apple Watch today which come alive when you use them. I'll let Allen provide the detail again when he checks in here. Some of the continuous monitor tools others use may offer ways to accomplish what you're looking for.

Here's an idea for a low-priority (but I'm guessing easy) enhancement...is it possible to display the car's firmware rev (like the car_version return value from the vehicle_state call)?
The other thing this would be useful for is seeing what version you have after an update. It seems to me that the updates come down overnight. My usual process is to drive to work and then kick off the update once I am at work. But I don't know what version I got unless I take the time to go to my car and it might be nice to know if you get a major update, like 8.0, rather than a minor bug fix only update. When my car gets 8.0 I may want to go down to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.