Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone want to be a beta tester for Remote S? You don't have to already own the app. The benefit for being a tester is that you can get a 30 day trial of the newest version of the app before anyone else does. You can delete the beta version and revert back to the store version at any time if you have the store version.

I'm looking for testers with iOS 10 and WatchOS 3.0 so that I can test my new Remote S WatchOS 3.0 update. - This is finished and needs a tester immediately.

I'm looking for testers with any iOS version at or above 8.2 who isn't in the U.S. to test out the new Summons/Homelink functionality.

If I don't finish the app in 2 weeks (when I lose access to my Tesla), I might need testers of any kind.

Let me know which type you are, and I'll PM you if I need you to test something.

Allan,

I'm already a Remote S owner, and I have a brand-new Apple Watch Series 2 running Watch OS 3 (obviously). I have lots of software testing experience.

Does anyone want to be a beta tester for Remote S? You don't have to already own the app. The benefit for being a tester is that you can get a 30 day trial of the newest version of the app before anyone else does. You can delete the beta version and revert back to the store version at any time if you have the store version.

I'm looking for testers with iOS 10 and WatchOS 3.0 so that I can test my new Remote S WatchOS 3.0 update. - This is finished and needs a tester immediately.

I'm looking for testers with any iOS version at or above 8.2 who isn't in the U.S. to test out the new Summons/Homelink functionality.

If I don't finish the app in 2 weeks (when I lose access to my Tesla), I might need testers of any kind.

Let me know which type you are, and I'll PM you if I need you to test something.

Happy to help! Current Remote S user, running iOS 10.1 on iPhone 6S and watchOS 3.1 on "old" Apple Watch.

Are you using Testflight? Got that ready...

Well, after a few days of coding non-stop and doing some back and forth with the beta testers, I think I'm finished with version 3.3. Those who signed up for the Beta version already got the app update first. If they give me the thumbs up that all is working fine, then I'll release this version onto the App Store - it's already submitted to Apple for review.

Here's the full changelog:

Version 3.3.0
New exclusive features!
- Summon and HomeLink are now working for U.S. and non-U.S. users (if your car is capable) on the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch.
- Watch app is now working on WatchOS 2+ with speed optimization upgrades from WatchOS 3. This means that it doesn't need to be connected to your phone to work. It also means that the Watch App should open faster now. Dock the app for quicker/easier access.
- Home Screen Quick Action shortcuts are now available if you have a 3D Touch screen (iPhone 6S and above). Just press down hard on the Remote S icon on the Home Screen to access a quick 3D Touch menu.
- Added an MPH/KPH usage stat above the "Usage (kW)" stat. This will tell you at what rate your car is draining energy. Now you'll know how many miles/kilometers of range you'll lose per hour when you turn on the climate control. It's also useful to see how many mi/km of range you're losing from the way you're driving.
- Added new charging stats: Instant Rate (mph/kph) and Instant Power (kW). The mph/kph charging rate that Tesla displays when using a Supercharger is an average rate over the entire charge. Now you can get the instantaneous charging rate to know how fast you're actually charging at that moment. No more guessing how long it'll take to charge from 98% to 99%.
- The firmware version that your car has now displays briefly whenever your car updates its stats. Now whenever you update your car, you'll know which firmware version you updated to without having to go into your car to check.
- Added an indicator to show you when the app is connected and communicating with Tesla's servers. The indicator is the solid white car to the left of the Remote S logo on the top. If it's not solid white, then the app is not connected to Tesla's servers. Matching the "Updated at" time with your current time also lets you know if it's connected.
- Added setting "Disconnect from Watch app". This allows you to log into the Watch app as one Tesla and control another Tesla with your phone. Otherwise the Watch will control the same car that the phone does and also signs off when the Phone app signs off.
- Added URL Schema support. Now you can launch Remote S with commands by simply putting the command after the remotes:// URL. Try it now by opening Safari and typing in remotes://horn as the URL. To set the temperature, use remotes://temp?21 (degrees are in Celsius). If you want to set the passenger temperature separately, use remotes://temp?21&23 (where the second number is the passenger temperature). Here are some more examples of functions: light, port, port?close, valet?on, valetoff, autoparkpause, autoparkforward, autoparkreverse, homelink, roof?80 (where 80 is a percentage of the roof open), hvac, hvac?on, hvacoff, lock, unlock, start, start?password (where password would be your MyTesla password to skip TouchID), limit?90 (sets the charge limit to 90%), charge, and charge?off. So to do something like set the roof to 50% open, you'd go to remotes://roof?50. With this URL schema, you can create a website that redirects you to the URL, and put that bookmark on your Home Screen. This will give you quick & easy access to commands. Or you could have a website that links to all your favorite commands and temperature/charge presets. This way you can design your own Remote S interface personalized to you. And all you have to do is put a link on the website as remotes:// instead of http://.

Bug fixes
- Added "Starting" as a possible state for the charge port state
- Fixed a rare crash when an address cannot be looked up for the pin location
- Fixed the bug where changing the charge limit on the watch sometimes shows an old charge limit briefly
- Decreased the update frequency on the Watch from 5 to 10 seconds, to lessen the chances of Tesla's servers throttling you and to converse more Watch battery
- Fixed a bug where the charging rate is still mph on the Apple Watch instead of kph
- Cleaned up and optimized the code significantly to make it run a bit faster and use less battery

Interface changes
- Combined Charging and Port opening/closing buttons into one button on the Watch App
- Changed the MPGe in the trip calculator to the efficiency ratio (ratio of actual miles/rated miles). Added instructions to make it more clear on how to use the trip calculator.
- HomeLink and Summon will pop up the reason for not working if Tesla's servers give a reason
- Added a "Reset my password" link to the sign in page
- Changed the error screen to let you know how to fix your current issue
- Added a "Sign off" button to the Watch app on the second screen.

Last edited:
Well, after a few days of coding non-stop and doing some back and forth with the beta testers, I think I'm finished with version 3.3. Those who signed up for the Beta version already got the app update first. If they give me the thumbs up that all is working fine, then I'll release this version onto the App Store - it's already submitted to Apple for review.

Here's the full changelog:

Version 3.3.0
New exclusive features!
- Summon and HomeLink are now working for U.S. and non-U.S. users (if your car is capable) on the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch.
- Watch app is now working on WatchOS 2+ with speed optimization upgrades from WatchOS 3. This means that it doesn't need to be connected to your phone to work. It also means that the Watch App should open faster now. Dock the app for quicker/easier access.
- Home Screen Quick Action shortcuts are now available if you have a 3D Touch screen (iPhone 6S and above). Just press down hard on the Remote S icon on the Home Screen to access a quick 3D Touch menu.
- Added an MPH/KPH usage stat above the "Usage (kW)" stat. This will tell you at what rate your car is draining energy. Now you'll know how many miles/kilometers of range you'll lose per hour when you turn on the climate control. It's also useful to see how many mi/km of range you're losing from the way you're driving.
- Added new charging stats: Instant Rate (mph/kph) and Instant Power (kW). The mph/kph charging rate that Tesla displays when using a Supercharger is an average rate over the entire charge. Now you can get the instantaneous charging rate to know how fast you're actually charging at that moment. No more guessing how long it'll take to charge from 98% to 99%.
- The firmware version that your car has is now displays briefly whenever your car updates its stats. Now whenever you update your car, you'll know which firmware version you updated to without having to go into your car to check.
- Added an indicator to show you when the app is connected and communicating with Tesla's servers. The indicator is the solid white car to the left of the Remote S logo on the top. If it's not solid white, then the app is not connected to Tesla's servers. Matching the "Updated at" time with your current time also lets you know if it's connected.
- Added setting "Disconnect from Watch app". This allows you to log into the Watch app as one Tesla and control another Tesla with your phone. Otherwise the Watch will control the same car that the phone does and also signs off when the Phone app signs off.
- Added URL Schema support. Now you can launch Remote S with commands by simply putting the command after the remotes:// URL. Try it now opening Safari and typing in remotes://horn as the URL. To set the temperature, use remotes://temp?21 (degrees are in Celsius). If you want to set the passenger temperature separately, use remotes://temp?21&23 (where the second number is the passenger temperature). Here are some more examples of functions: light, port, port?close, valet?on, valetoff, autoparkpause, autoparkforward, autoparkreverse, homelink, roof?80 (where 80 is a percentage of the roof open), hvac, hvac?on, hvacoff, lock, unlock, start, start?password (where password would be your MyTesla password to skip TouchID), limit?90 (sets the charge limit to 90%), charge, and charge?off. So to do something like set the roof to 50% open, you'd go to remotes://roof?50. With this URL schema, you can create a website redirects you to the URL, and put that bookmark on your Home Screen. This will give you quick & easy access to commands. Or you could have a website that links to all your favorite commands and temperature/charge presets. This way you can design your own Remote S interface personalized to you. And all you have to do is put a link on the website as remotes:// instead of http://.

Bug fixes
- Added "Starting" as a possible state for the charge port state
- Fixed a rare crash when an address cannot be looked up for the pin location
- Fixed the bug where changing the charge limit on the watch sometimes shows an old charge limit briefly
- Decreased the update frequency on the Watch from 5 to 10 seconds, to lessen the chances of Tesla's servers throttling you and to converse more Watch battery
- Fixed a bug where the charging rate is still mph on the Apple Watch instead of kph
- Cleaned up and optimized the code significantly to make it run a bit faster and use less battery

Interface changes
- Combined Charging and Port opening/closing buttons into one button on the Watch App
- Changed the MPGe in the trip calculator to the efficiency ratio (ratio of actual miles/rated miles). Added instructions to make it more clear on how to use the trip calculator.
- HomeLink and Summon will pop up the reason for not working if Tesla's servers give a reason
- Added a "Reset my password" link to the sign in page
- Changed the error screen to let you know how to fix your current issue
- Added a "Sign off" button to the Watch app on the second screen.
Can't wait to try all this cool stuff. Thanks Allen!!!

Allen, I'm very excited to try this out. Once again, YOU are a great supporter of the community, and honestly one of the most Customer-centric developers I know. Thanks in advance for what looks to be an awesome update!

Last edited:
Seemed to work correctly with my X just now. Was able to use homelink and summon from both phone and watch.

The only unexpected result was that a couple times it seemed like the watch ignored a command (it was still showing an old lock/unlock state at the time - I'm thinking I just needed to wait until the watch had reconnected to send the commands?)

Also, I'm not sure if there's anything you can do or not, but the App doesn't appear to be able to lock the car if the door is open; a single click of my fob both closes and locks the car. (I suspect this may be an API limitation?)

Thank you for all of your work on our behalf, and for the chance to beta test. I'll keep working with it to see if anything else turns up.

The only unexpected result was that a couple times it seemed like the watch ignored a command (it was still showing an old lock/unlock state at the time - I'm thinking I just needed to wait until the watch had reconnected to send the commands?)

Also, I'm not sure if there's anything you can do or not, but the App doesn't appear to be able to lock the car if the door is open; a single click of my fob both closes and locks the car. (I suspect this may be an API limitation?)

Thank you for all of your work on our behalf, and for the chance to beta test. I'll keep working with it to see if anything else turns up.
I will look into the Watch app issues when I have access to my Apple Watch again. I've been coding with the simulator only, so it's harder to debug without the real device in my hands.

Sounds like an API limitation and for good reason. I once locked myself out of my car because I clicked the lock button while the door was open, and walked out, and then closed the door behind me without my phone. I ended up being locked out of my own car because my keys were also inside the car. I guess they fixed this issue? One way to find out is to test what happens with the official Tesla app.

I can't seem to get the watch app to open at all with the beta. I've tried force quitting, reinstalling, force quitting the phone app and reopening. No luck.
Try powering down and restarting the Apple Watch? I'm not sure what would cause it besides the fact that the Apple Watch is so buggy at times. I just did a fresh install on my simulator again after reading your post, and it runs just fine. None of the other beta testers are reporting any issues like that. Nothing in my code indicates anything that would crash it before it even starts.

I can't seem to get the watch app to open at all with the beta. I've tried force quitting, reinstalling, force quitting the phone app and reopening. No luck.
I'm not in the beta (my MS Is at the SvC for a few days, then jury duty), but have found with other non-Apple apps and WatchOS 3, you need to uninstall and reinstall it from the watch, then the apps works again. From your iPhone, do that using the Watch App, scroll down to find Allen's Beta whatever it's named, like it and move the wider to install. When that completes, and it can take some time, then slide the slider back to On. You may need to do something similar with complications. Remove it from the watch face, then out it back.

Ok, It eventually just started working, which I'm going to cough up to the Apple Watch's unpredictability.

Currently, everything seems to be working great! The map works perfectly on the Apple Watch, displaying a moving map properly, along with direction and speed. Summon commands also work from both the watch and iPhone app. I haven't yet discovered any bugs in old or new features.

Although the app unfortunately can't make the watch any faster, I have noticed that once loaded, everything seems to be snappier. Commands seem to get to the car quicker (quick enough to feel safe using it for summon) and the interface in general is just faster to interact with.

Just noticed you'd already added in the 3D Touch actions to the beta. Fantastic! Exactly what I'd been waiting for. Showing the version is also a nice touch. It's been a while since a major update to the app, and this seems to cover everything I was hoping for. All the new features seem to work well, so far. Will continue playing with everything and I'll let you know if any issues pop up.

Hi Allen,

Is it correct with the beta that the Complication on the Watchface doesn't work yet?
That is correct. I will put complications in a future update, because I want to get these fixes out to the public as soon as possible. Also because I want to have a real WatchOS 3 in front of me when I test and code complications. There might be a cool new feature related to complication that I think people will love to have. I'm excited to implement it and test it out.
Just noticed you'd already added in the 3D Touch actions to the beta. Fantastic! Exactly what I'd been waiting for. Showing the version is also a nice touch. It's been a while since a major update to the app, and this seems to cover everything I was hoping for. All the new features seem to work well, so far. Will continue playing with everything and I'll let you know if any issues pop up.
Glad to hear that you got it working. Yes I snuck in time to do the 3D Touch just for you. I remembered how much you wanted it.
Any idea why the app is not able to unlock ? Everything else works
That unlock issue might be unrelated to my app. There apparently are a few other people who can't unlock their car from any apps. I think it happened after they either modded their car or took it service one day. There's another TMC thread on it. I don't think any of them solved the problem yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.