Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found siri to be mostly a gimmick. I don't see voice control being that big of a deal as far as this app goes. Maybe to impress a passenger. But day to day? I'd rather press a button then play the siri game where I say HVAC on and it responds with "driving to the bottom of lake michigan". It's so hit or miss it's comical.

I've found siri to be mostly a gimmick. I don't see voice control being that big of a deal as far as this app goes. Maybe to impress a passenger. But day to day? I'd rather press a button then play the siri game where I say HVAC on and it responds with "driving to the bottom of lake michigan". It's so hit or miss it's comical.

Interesting. I don't use Siri a lot, but when I do it is pretty reliable.
If this app had those voice commands, I'd be using Siri a lot more;)

Just bought the Remotes App and it looks cool. My watch is due to be delivered next week and can't wait to give it a try.

Any thought given to allowing the App to turn off Scheduled Charging if it is currently active? Being Calif I rely on midnight charging to avoid the high rates. But on several occasions I've been away from the car and learn I'm going to need miles before the midnight start. Would be very nice to be able to do that from the App.

Any thought given to allowing the App to turn off Scheduled Charging if it is currently active? Being Calif I rely on midnight charging to avoid the high rates. But on several occasions I've been away from the car and learn I'm going to need miles before the midnight start. Would be very nice to be able to do that from the App.

If you run into that situation, couldn't you just open the Tesla native app on your phone and change the charge limit to whatever you want (presumably more than it already is set for)? The charging would start at midnight and go until the maximum you set. It would involve you doing it from the Tesla app for those instances but I assume it doesn't happen daily.

Interesting. I don't use Siri a lot, but when I do it is pretty reliable.
If this app had those voice commands, I'd be using Siri a lot more;)

Same here -- I rarely use Siri to do something I could do more quickly, like press a button, but when I do use it for things that would require more interaction (such as setting a reminder where I need to dictate a full sentence), it typically works flawlessly (and I've been using it since it was standalone paid app, before Apple bought it and baked it into iOS).

As for controlling the Tesla, I don't think I would use Siri if I could more quickly or easily use the key or use the phone app, but I could see it being very useful if my hands are full and I therefore can't easily access the phone or Watch with my fingers. I think the Siri control is a very impressive proof of concept, but after seeing it in action, I'm not sure it would offer enough convenience to justify its use over other interface methods (including just touching the watch itself).

If you run into that situation, couldn't you just open the Tesla native app on your phone and change the charge limit to whatever you want (presumably more than it already is set for)? The charging would start at midnight and go until the maximum you set. It would involve you doing it from the Tesla app for those instances but I assume it doesn't happen daily.

The issue is I don't want to wait until the previously scheduled time. Want it to start charging right then, but there's no remote way of turnng off scheduled charging that I can determine.

I think he created separate "apps" called "HVAC ON" and "Unlock Car" etc. Since Siri is capable of launching apps via voice command the apps he created just call his main app telling it to either turn on the HVAC or unlock the car or whatever.

Question - Will each of these "apps" show up on the watch home screen?

Or possibly through homekit?

The issue is I don't want to wait until the previously scheduled time. Want it to start charging right then, but there's no remote way of turnng off scheduled charging that I can determine.

I could definitely be wrong, but doesn't just starting a charge in the Tesla app override the timed charging? What I mean is even if you have timed charging set, you can start a charge, and charging will start immediately.

I could definitely be wrong, but doesn't just starting a charge in the Tesla app override the timed charging? What I mean is even if you have timed charging set, you can start a charge, and charging will start immediately.
Nope. There is a slide toggle on the Energy screen that must be moved to off.

I stand corrected. Thought I'd tried to "Start" a charge from the remote app when in timed charge mode, but this time it started the charging. Assume it will work from the remote apps as well.

Last edited:
I think that Apple/Tesla have spoken regarding this app and it will be pulled from the store soon. 2 week plus review time for a .x update to an app is a bad sign....

When Apple wants to pull an app, they pull it immediately. They wouldn't just leave it for sale still for several weeks. If it's a copyright/trademark infringement issue, Apple would have sent me a two weeks notice to appeal, remove the trademarks, and/or pull the app myself.

Anyway, I made a demo video of me voice commanding my Tesla hands-free with just Siri on the iPhone. The performance is much better using the iPhone. On WIFI, it went down to around 3.5 seconds from the time I finish my sentence to when the action occurred. YMMV depending on your ISP and proximity to Tesla servers. But I'm using a cable internet connection at NYC for reference.

Here's how I envision the app being used:
1) Imagine that you're at home and it's hot out. You're busy showering, but will be heading out soon. Your hands are wet and your phone is sitting at the sink. You shout, "Hey Siri, cool down my Tesla!" The app issues the command to your Tesla to turn the temperature down to its lowest setting, turn on HVAC, and vent the roof. The app gives you back an audio confirmation (I plan on using a British female voice - like the James Bond's remote control BMW). When you're done with your shower, your car will be all nice and cold for your driving comfort.

2) Imagine that you're driving and you have your phone on the cupholder. You want to open the roof, but don't feel like looking down to press all the buttons on the touchscreen or iphone app to get it to open. Instead you say, "Hey Siri, open my roof." The app issues the command for you and your roof opens. When you're done, you just say, "Hey Siri, close my roof" and the roof closes.

But it seems like a lukewarm response to the feature from you guys. I guess I'll work on something else then. It was fun to create and use, though. I always wanted to be able to open the roof while still keeping both hands on the wheel. I don't like having to scroll forever on the scroll wheel to get the roof to open from a close (and vice versa). I also don't like having to look down on the touchscreen while I'm driving. I guess I'll be the only guy with a Siri-controlled Tesla for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the average is about 10 days and there was a holiday weekend in there, so it might not be anything odd.

It looks like it's not just me. I see a lot of double-digit review days in the recently approved apps. I even see a 45-day one :O. Memorial day weekend probably messed things up. Mine's been in it for 14 days, and I see a lot of 12-14 days for the past two days.
Average App Store Review Times - iOS App Store - Raw Data

But it seems like a lukewarm response to the feature from you guys. I guess I'll work on something else then. It was fun to create and use, though. I always wanted to be able to open the roof while still keeping both hands on the wheel. I don't like having to scroll forever on the scroll wheel to get the roof to open from a close (and vice versa). I also don't like having to look down on the touchscreen while I'm driving. I guess I'll be the only guy with a Siri-controlled Tesla for a while.

I think it's an awesome feature. Does it have any special requirements? Like, having Remote S running in the foreground on your iPhone? Or, does it just work with Siri anytime? Of course, for "Hey Siri" to work without a button press, I understand the phone needs to be plugged in.

I'd be happy to beta test this. (I'm already a paying customer of the app.) I wouldn't mind being the second Siri-controlled car.

My only suggestion would be the "cool down" doesn't default to opening the roof. These rainy summer days would make it risky. Or, at least make it an option.

When will the voice command for iOS and Apple Watch be enabled?
Thanks for a great app. I am going to the app store to give a positive rating ASAP.
Not sure. There doesn't seem to be much interest in it, so I'm not going to spend more time on it. Maybe when iOS 9.0 comes out and hopefully Apple opens up the Siri API.

I think it's an awesome feature. Does it have any special requirements? Like, having Remote S running in the foreground on your iPhone? Or, does it just work with Siri anytime? Of course, for "Hey Siri" to work without a button press, I understand the phone needs to be plugged in.

I'd be happy to beta test this. (I'm already a paying customer of the app.) I wouldn't mind being the second Siri-controlled car.

My only suggestion would be the "cool down" doesn't default to opening the roof. These rainy summer days would make it risky. Or, at least make it an option.

Don't need Remote S running at all. Siri opens up the app for you. The limitations of "Hey Siri" is the same as whatever the limitations for saying "Hey Siri" is, i.e. the Phone needs to be plugged in if you want it to be truly hands-free. Otherwise, press and hold the button down. However, the Apple Watch doesn't require it to be plugged in. Just put it to your face and say "Hey Siri", followed by your command.

Just noticed that v. 1.1 is now available on the App Store.

Yea, it finally got approved. I best be getting version 2.0 ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.