Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am new to the forum. I have just purchased the Remote S app and I am very security conscious.

I have noticed that the advance settings is going to a non SSL page (http) - information is sent in plain text non encrypted. Is it possible to change it to use an SSL URL (https)?

Also, where is the my.tesla cookie store, on my iphone or on the Remote S app servers?

Thanks in advance.
No information is sent to the http website. It is a javascript that triggers your app to communicate with the Tesla servers directly. You can view the source code of the website to see for yourself.

The username, token and password are stored on your Apple keychain and nowhere else. I don't store any user info anywhere remotely. It is all on your devices.

Does the iPhone layout display the current charging volts/amps etc.? And can it display the elapsed time of charge? Could it also show the current rated range per hour instead of the charging session average that the car and Tesla app show? If not, perhaps these could be shown optionally instead of all 4 %/Estimated/Rated/Ideal ranges and have the user choose one of those to display. Thanks

Does the iPhone layout display the current charging volts/amps etc.? And can it display the elapsed time of charge? Could it also show the current rated range per hour instead of the charging session average that the car and Tesla app show? If not, perhaps these could be shown optionally instead of all 4 %/Estimated/Rated/Ideal ranges and have the user choose one of those to display. Thanks

Yes.

No, this information is not available to me. But I do display total added kWh and rated miles in the current/last charge session.

No, this information is also not available to me, but you can do some mental calculations by looking at the added kWh/rated miles. Each time the info updates, you can see how much rated miles were added down to the 1/10th mile. Then from there, you can tell how fast it is charging. For example, if you look at the info once every minute, and the charging added 1.5 miles in that timeframe. Then it's just a matter of multiplying that number by 60 and you'll know that it's charging by exactly 90 miles per hour at that moment. But that information is kind of useless, because it's possible that the charging will slow down within that hour. So you might not get 90 miles per hour. A better instantaneous read would be to just look at how many miles were added in a minute. And since I give that answer down to the 1/10th mile whereas the Tesla app only gives it to the nearest whole mile, you can get a better idea of how fast the car is charging at that moment. And if the charge rate is constant throughout the charge, then the charging session average would be constant as well and I display that number.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen,

is it possible to add garage door open and close for Classic owners?

Thanks!!

I was wondering that myself, because I don't have a Classic Tesla. So I left the HomeLink button in the app for Classic owners as well. But it's been reported that it doesn't work unless Summon is turned on. So unfortunately, someone at Tesla would have to change the logic on their API servers to allow non-AP, non-US cars to access the HomeLink button. At that point, the app wouldn't need an update to support it, because the button is already available.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by 1051
Allen,

is it possible to add garage door open and close for Classic owners?

Thanks!!

I was wondering that myself, because I don't have a Classic Tesla. So I left the HomeLink button in the app for Classic owners as well. But it's been reported that it doesn't work unless Summon is turned on. So unfortunately, someone at Tesla would have to change the logic on their API servers to allow non-AP, non-US cars to access the HomeLink button. At that point, the app wouldn't need an update to support it, because the button is already available.

We do have the auto open close feature and it works in the car, but will not work in the app.

Thanks..​

We do have the auto open close feature and it works in the car, but will not work in the app.

Thanks..​

I don't think you fully understood what Allen wrote.

The Homelink button in the app only works in the app when Summon has been turned on in the app. Since owners of Classic cars can't "Summon" them within either the Tesla app or the Remote S app, they also can't use the Homelink functions that are tied to Summon within the apps.

Allen has provided the button within Remote S so that if and when Tesla separates the Homelink functionality from Summon, it will work immediately in Remote S.

Yes.

No, this information is not available to me. But I do display total added kWh and rated miles in the current/last charge session.

No, this information is also not available to me, but you can do some mental calculations by looking at the added kWh/rated miles. ...

Good, I will download the app then.

Could the the app calculate the elapsed time from the started charging notification?

Could range/hr be calculated from Volts * Amps * Some constant?

Good, I will download the app then.

Could the the app calculate the elapsed time from the started charging notification?

Could range/hr be calculated from Volts * Amps * Some constant?

No, I can't intercept notifications from Tesla. Apps can't run in the background either, so the app would have no idea when you started charging.

Possibly. But you also have to account for vampire drain and battery usage. For example, running your AC while charging will cause it to charge slower even though the volts and amps are the same. The outside temperature and battery capacity probably plays a factor in charge rate as well. I don't think there's an accurate way to calculate it. Probably easier and most accurate to just see how much kW/rated miles was actually added per minute, and then figure out the range/hr from that.

On iOS some applications have exceptions that let them do some things in the background, like navigation and music. Does any of these exceptions apply to Remote S that'll for instance let the app run Campermode when not showing on screen?

I've looked into this idea, and there really is only one or two ways to do it without Apple rejecting the app. I'd probably have to allow you to play background music in a loop, and then you can just mute the music or the audio is silent. This could keep the app running while the "music" is playing. One other way to keep the mic open, and not actually record anything. I think some sleep recording apps use this method to keep their app alive and record your sleep patterns while being in the background. I'll have to do some testing to see which method drains the least amount of batteries and then hope that Apple approves it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Allen, I love your work! The only downside to Remote S is the absence of an Android version. ;-)

Honestly, I'm surprised that some other Android developer didn't just step up to the plate and do it. And yet I see several simple iOS Tesla apps popping up that don't even have half the features Remote S has. One good thing about Android I heard is that they do allow apps to run in the background (which is why the Facebook app drains like 20% of your Android's battery).

I've noticed that since the most recent update, the app seems to require me to log in more often. It's completely unpredictable, but I've probably had to do it about 6-8 times since updating and previously only had to do it once every few months. May have only done it once or twice since the initial log in, until the last update. I've checked the official tesla app a few times and that's always remained logged in. Also, the bug that causes the app to immediately crash on opening (and then works fine the next time) is still present.

Status
Not open for further replies.