Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing “Dual Motor” Badge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to laugh at this. I think there is another post on this site about how to get the "dual motor" badge. Maybe you should see if anyone wants it. We are indeed a diverse group....

Hmmmm… maybe I should try to buy someone's performance dual motor badge, take my car to the SC and ask for the latest software update…

The SCs are just enough of a chaotic cluster that maybe a tech will see the badge and give me the performance software without checking the details :D

An alcohol wipe scrunched up longways, slipped under the badge and wiggled like you would with fishing line will be more effective than using fishing line. That's what some of the Tesla Techs do to remove badges and/or spoilers that don't fit right.

I thought I was the only one that hated the Dual Motor badge. I have an SR+ (so it was obviously never an issue for me) but when the badges started showing up around town, I always felt like it really threw off the beautiful minimalist symmetry of the car. If I had a dual motor, I would remove the badge for sure.

Just park the car in direct sun, use a little fishing line or dental floss and clean up with Goo Gone...easy peasy.

Reactions: Dolemite
I thought I was the only one that hated the Dual Motor badge. I have an SR+ (so it was obviously never an issue for me) but when the badges started showing up around town, I always felt like it really threw off the beautiful minimalist symmetry of the car. If I had a dual motor, I would remove the badge for sure.

Only thing worse would be to have the badge "Electric Car".

Reactions: SaddleSC

Yup... would be one thing if it had a badge on each side.. but just the DM badge looks uneven.

I didn't get one on the car at delivery, and the one time I've been in for service where they had INSTALL DUAL MOTOR BADGE on the original work order (I didn't ask for it) I made sure to cross it out, and write DO NOT INSTALL BADGE over it before signing anything or giving them the keycard.

They did give me the physical badge still in the plastic to take home-- currently sitting in a box with other little tesla-related bits like the OEM trunk lights I replaced with brighter ones.

Reactions: SaddleSC
Agree - I love it and consider it a badge of honor. I think it is wild that so many people don't like it - but to each their own! :)
The badge looks great imo in an otherwise plain rear. Also, since there isn’t much body differences between the models, it at the very least separates it from the lower end base models. But as others have said, it’s very easy to remove it if you wish.

Hairdryer, fishing line and compound or automotive grease remover (the alcohol eats away at the residue). Then take your finger nail and carefully pick away, not scratching, but getting under the residue. Your nail is soft and flexible. Goo Gone doesn't always work.

I don't recommend removing the badge as the Model 3 comes in RWD and AWD and so without some indicator you could be towed with two wheels on the ground, causing damage. Maybe replace it with the All-Wheel Drive license plate frame.

Reactions: Scott7 and MrBadger
How often are you guys having your cars towed without being the one who calls to specify the kind of truck you need and without being right there to tell the truck driver if he brought the wrong thing?

For me that's been...never...but apparently it's a concern for some?

Its just stuck onto the paint how would you mess it up?

The odds of doing any damage to the paint are next to none, if you use fishing line or dental floss to remove the badge. I’ve done this procedure many times.

The only thing to be concerned about really is paint fade but I doubt the car has been in baking sun long enough to noticeably fade the paint..

I asked to have my "T" badge removed from the trunk lid when I took it to a detailer for a ceramic coating job. Was planning on putting the "T E S L A" badge on instead.

A good amount of paint came off with the adhesive, leaving divots in the paint. I was not happy. I'm 99% sure it was NOT the detailer's fault but Tesla's bad quality paint, not fully cured prior to badge application, poor paint adhesion, etc.

I took it to the SC to ask if they could do anything about it, but as I expected, they said they would not fix it since it's not visible on the car as-delivered. In the end, I just had the SC reapply a new badge since the old was bent from removal. At least they did it for free.