Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renting a Y from Hertz?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assume Hertz pays for Super Charging while you have the rental. Does Hertz charge you for that?
They didn't when they first introduced Tesla. But they charged for my last two rentals because I had less than a 75% charge. It was only like $10, but still. The fact that they shut of the ability to link your phone (in Austin anyway) was more upsetting

They didn't when they first introduced Tesla. But they charged for my last two rentals because I had less than a 75% charge. It was only like $10, but still. The fact that they shut of the ability to link your phone (in Austin anyway) was more upsetting
I’m asking about when on the road and stop at a couple Super Chargers.

Assume the SC bill goes back to Hertz? Are you charged for that?

I’m asking about when on the road and stop at a couple Super Chargers.

Assume the SC bill goes back to Hertz? Are you charged for that?
It goes to Hertz and they add it to your bill when you return the car.

edit: to add, filling up the vehicle to a specific charge level is part of the agreement, though they have now slightly reduced the price you pay if you opt not to do that (I believe you can now opt to pay something between 25-35 dollars and they will just charge you the additional cost to charge the car to the level they originally stated. My experience is that the level has been all over the place. On a Bolt EUV I rented they wanted it back near full, one one Tesla the number was listed at 70%, and on another it was listed as 90%. Just pay attention to it. I believe originally you could return it at any charge level but that is now an uncharge if you want that feature, just like their ICE rentals.

Reactions: fholbert
I’m a Tesla owner, but just picked up a 3 from Hertz. I can’t get the QR code to show up. Any tips?

Yes! I just had this happen yesterday, read this forum post, and successfully got it done....

....Soooo you've taken rental of a car with no QR code and on their website Hertz says ALL rentals now offer Digital Key (Which uses the QR fleet system). If you are still at the rental car center and the car does not have a QR visible on the screen, before you take possession of the car find a representative and inform them they need to reset the car, and erase previous owner (Renter) data. If you are in the middle of a rental you will have to do what I went through yesterday.

Step 1. Exit the car. Lock the car with the key card. Very important, the car cannot have any passengers inside, and has to be locked! Make sure you are not paired/bluetooth is not on, on your phone, else you will need to be out of bluetooth range of the car (30ft).

Step 2. Call Hertz, 800-654-3131 and follow instructions, A. current rental issue, and B. hertz roadside assistance, C. mechanical failure/feature issue to get connected to the right representative. It will ask if you are in a safe location, and if not to dial 911, don't worry about that. The automated call will list out a bunch of things and then connect you to someone. I spoke with someone named Des, she had not done the reset before, but I was patient and we got it done!

Step 3. Inform them "your rented Tesla Model "_" was not setup properly, and the digital key is not working." "That the car has info from some other driver and no QR code that should be on all Hertz rentals". Tell them your rental license plate. They can then open up the tesla fleet menu, and what they need to do is to erase the car user data, turn off guest mode, turn on guest mode, and then once thats completed (takes a few minutes), when you unlock your car, the QR mode will be available. They will then file a note that the service center is not blanking the cars per protocol. Hertz roadside has a whole protocol for resetting the car so that the QR mode pops up, but not every rep has gone through it before.

Step 3. Get angry at the service desk for not blanking the car after the last renter. But happy your rental now has a digital key!!!

I almost rented a Tesla a few weeks ago for a few hours from Hertz because it was cheaper than a gas car. Turns out they wanted me to charge the car to at least what the charge started with or they'd charge me a "tank fill up fee" regardless of the amount of energy used. Sorry, but I'm not going to sit at a L2 charger or drive out of the way to find a SC.

I almost rented a Tesla a few weeks ago for a few hours from Hertz because it was cheaper than a gas car. Turns out they wanted me to charge the car to at least what the charge started with or they'd charge me a "tank fill up fee" regardless of the amount of energy used. Sorry, but I'm not going to sit at a L2 charger or drive out of the way to find a SC.
That's no different than a gas car. No freebies just because it's an EV.

Fair, but they should really set the return % lower. Requiring >80% can add a lot of time to the return process.
Anecdotally I've had cars with 90% on the return slip and I brought it back at 89% (I miscalculated the distance and got bored charging post 90) and I don't believe they charged me for that 1% of charge (nothing outside the Supercharger fees I accrued).