Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair/Parts wait times in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update on your repair?
I checked with smash repair just to see whether they’re getting the same message from Tesla
they said Tesla told them last week that their order for coolant would be filled this week
however, yesterday Tesla told them that that’s not happening and to go and source some coolant somewhere else ie Valvoline G48
the guy at the smash repair isn’t an optimistic type - probably due to experiences like this - so he could only say that he’s trying other sources

just in case this looks like a weekly update - hopefully it's the last one
I got a bit impatient on Friday and fired off an email to Tesla pointing out that it was another week of nothing happening, and heading for three months' wait for a minor repair
then last night and this morning there were emails in all directions
apparently Tesla had sent the coolant to the smash repair after all, but not until after there was already an order in for $250 worth from another source
so now the car is in the paint shop with completion due this week
I have received a notification in the app today saying 'front trunk is open' - I used to find those messages annoying!

end of week and still no car
they told me yesterday that ‘calibrating and checking’ might take longer
meanwhile today I’ve received numerous messages through the app - lots of ‘front trunk open’ and ‘summon failed’ - odd, since I don’t have summon
charging got a mention too
then the app didn’t seem to be connected anymore

a bit later: app now says car is in ‘service mode’

Last edited:
agony over the weekend, wondering whether there will be good news today
I got to lunchtime and finally called the smash repair
receptionist says the car was ‘being detailed’, couldn’t say when it would be ready
I pressed the point - completion originally scheduled for last week, my work and travel commitments etc
on hold for a while and finally got the manager
turns out the coolant pump has failed and they’re getting a new one
this is ‘being detailed’?
he reckons I’ll be ok for my trip to Jindabyne on Friday

I stopped posting for a while - a bit too repetitive, and depressing
I finally got my car back today
a bit of a saga - 3 months and 19 days since the accident
so nice to be back in the car
I had a loaner via NRMA insurance - a Peugeot 508 - an excellent arrangement that kept me mobile the whole time
after picking up the car I discovered that I could have asked for an EV, but they wouldn’t swap it

Reactions: Hairyman
I had a loaner via NRMA insurance - a Peugeot 508 - an excellent arrangement that kept me mobile the whole time
after picking up the car I discovered that I could have asked for an EV, but they wouldn’t swap it
I tried this before with Shannons and they said that their rental arrangements only provided for standard cars. They acknowledged that I was entitled to like for like, but that I would have to make my own arrangements and then put a submission into them for consideration of claiming back the expenses. Too hard.

Sounds like NRMA has a more reasonable approach. Glad to hear that you have your car back.

Reactions: schnaxxl
I've had mixed reception with NRMA regarding EVs, I was basically told I could hire one myself and they would reimburse me up to a daily cap, (you'll be surprised to know it was not enough to get another M3 but I could have hired an MG EV) but they wouldn't agree to give me one through their regular means, the process was annoying.

It had to go through NRMA then Hirecar company.

I ended up just take a Corolla Hybrid as I only needed it for 2 days when i was originally told 7 days.

I tried this before with Shannons and they said that their rental arrangements only provided for standard cars. They acknowledged that I was entitled to like for like, but that I would have to make my own arrangements and then put a submission into them for consideration of claiming back the expenses. Too hard.

Sounds like NRMA has a more reasonable approach. Glad to hear that you have your car back.
I found out that NRMA [the membership organisation] own the local franchise for Sixt rental cars
NRMA [insurance] nominated Sixt as the rental provider
I got a call from them offering me a Hyundai at first - then later they said 'no Hyundai is available, would you like a 508?' but no mention of an EV option
I also found out later that sixt are supposedly promoting EVs, but they never suggested that to me

I found out that NRMA [the membership organisation] own the local franchise for Sixt rental cars
NRMA [insurance] nominated Sixt as the rental provider
I got a call from them offering me a Hyundai at first - then later they said 'no Hyundai is available, would you like a 508?' but no mention of an EV option
I also found out later that sixt are supposedly promoting EVs, but they never suggested that to me
That's the same issue I came across. Even tho I'm with NRMA and Sixt is supposed to be owned by NRMA (they must operate as a separate entity completely) and they have EVs, the MG and M3... I was not offered those options... weirdly I remember when my NRMA rep told me the daily rate she could get for the MG (in order for me to pay for it upfront and then have it reimbursed) it was MORE EXPENSIVE than me booking online myself without the NRMA rep... it really made no sense to me whatsoever.

Reactions: schnaxxl
The ownership is completely different. The insurance organisation is part of Insurance Australia Ltd, the road service organisation National Roads and Motorists Association Ltd is independent.
Well they certainly operated like there was no continuity, I was on the phone for 55 minutes while the NRMA rep put me on hold to speak to the SIXT rep... I think it would have been easier if I just paid upfront for my own car then have them reimburse me.

Well they certainly operated like there was no continuity, I was on the phone for 55 minutes while the NRMA rep put me on hold to speak to the SIXT rep... I think it would have been easier if I just paid upfront for my own car then have them reimburse me.
NRMA Road Service and NRMA insurance were part of the same member owned association until demutualisation in 2000. At that time the Insurance and Road Service divisions were separated and no longer member owned. Shares were issued to members based on their length of Association membership. The insurance company was renamed Insurance Australia Group (IAG) and they pay a fee to NRMA road service for the rights to use the name in their insurance products and as they are no longer part of a motoring association can enter other markets of their choosing that they previously could not.
Ask me how I know? (Ex NRMA employee from 1986 to 2000.)

I managed to take a chunk out of my S in a congested Newcastle carpark on the 19th June and put in the claim with NRMA the next day.
NRMA have been impossible to contact: they apparently sent me an SMS asking me to contact them - which I have only just received - but the phone is never answered after half an hour and the chat line said I was #57 so I gave up!
However my selected repairer ordered the parts - mainly the rear drivers' side panel - and phoned me today to say they were in and checked. With all the posts about months of waiting I am very pleased with that: only a couple of weeks isn't at all bad.
Let's hope it carries on like this!

Hi all,
Someone ran into the side of my 3 back in August, 2 weeks after I got it (safe to say I was devastated). Went through insurance painfully and had repair authorised October, about 10k worth of damage with 2 door panels needing to be replaced.

It has now been 3 months since the authorisation, and the dealer (a well reputed one in Perth) still has absolutely no estimate on delivery times for the door panels required. They say it is on back order and they don’t know when tesla will send more parts to them. I called tesla directly and it’s the same story, there is nothing they say they can do.

I can understand the cause for shipping delays, but it’s getting really frustrating driving around with no idea when my car will be fixed. I thought that at the very least, I could be given a general timeframe on when I may expect the parts, not sure if I’m being too picky here.

Has anyone else had this experience or is currently dealing with something similar? Any advice is appreciated, thankfully it’s still drivable but it’s a bit disheartening seeing my 3 like this everyday.
Involved in car accident some three months ago . Panel damage front and back . Car not drivable . Best answer received from Scientific panel beating shop on how long the wait could be : “ don’t know”. When asked if they have contacted Tesla: “Tesla does not know “. Does not inspire confidence . Guess my next EV will not be a Tesla .

Reactions: Wol747 and TSELA
Involved in car accident some three months ago . Panel damage front and back . Car not drivable . Best answer received from Scientific panel beating shop on how long the wait could be : “ don’t know”. When asked if they have contacted Tesla: “Tesla does not know “. Does not inspire confidence . Guess my next EV will not be a Tesla .
Tesla is hopeless with most areas of service especially aftermarket. Just look at how they treat you before you pay for the car….

Reactions: Wol747
Hi all,
Someone ran into the side of my 3 back in August, 2 weeks after I got it (safe to say I was devastated). Went through insurance painfully and had repair authorised October, about 10k worth of damage with 2 door panels needing to be replaced.

It has now been 3 months since the authorisation, and the dealer (a well reputed one in Perth) still has absolutely no estimate on delivery times for the door panels required. They say it is on back order and they don’t know when tesla will send more parts to them. I called tesla directly and it’s the same story, there is nothing they say they can do.

I can understand the cause for shipping delays, but it’s getting really frustrating driving around with no idea when my car will be fixed. I thought that at the very least, I could be given a general timeframe on when I may expect the parts, not sure if I’m being too picky here.

Has anyone else had this experience or is currently dealing with something similar? Any advice is appreciated, thankfully it’s still drivable but it’s a bit disheartening seeing my 3 like this everyday.
An approved garage kept my Y for 5 months after it was rear-ended. It was perfectly drivable. Is this a record wait? Tavares. Florida

Adding another data point to this thread. 2022 MYLR rear ended by drunk driver in LA April 16, 2022 (126 days ago). Rear casting/impact structure needs to be replaced, major structural damage, Tesla insurance would not total the vehicle (repair estimate ~$35k). Car has been in authorized body shop since then - no ETA on parts, no real updates other than "we're reaching out to Tesla for updates" etc.

Drive safe everyone.

Adding another data point to this thread. 2022 MYLR rear ended by drunk driver in LA April 16, 2022 (126 days ago). Rear casting/impact structure needs to be replaced, major structural damage, Tesla insurance would not total the vehicle (repair estimate ~$35k). Car has been in authorized body shop since then - no ETA on parts, no real updates other than "we're reaching out to Tesla for updates" etc.

Drive safe everyone.
Look on the bright side - if you can’t drive it’s as safe as you can get.

Sorry 😱

Fingers crossed for resolution soon.

I logged a service call over the weekend to replace the wiper driver mechanism on my 2014 Model S, as the drivers side wiper arm has started to rub against the bonnet above it. Apparently this is a known issue. A mobile service call has been arranged for tomorrow and I have a price for the spare part and labour. As the car is 8 years old soon and the last 12V battery was replaced under warranty I’m getting that replaced at the same time.
No indication so far that any of these parts are a problem to source. 🤞🏽

Reactions: Maximillan
Adding my story.

Another car ran into the side of my wifes model 3 on the 16th of Jan 2022. Not all parts were ordered correctly when the vehicle was assessed. As a result it's been 8+ months in the repair shop and still waiting for parts. I really love the car (I have one also) but it's honestly nerve racking to drive considering how long the repair times take. All up the cost of the replacement hire car (at the insurers expense) and the cost to fix will generously exceed the cost of a new vehcile. In my case a new model 3 would have arrived quicker and been cheaper for the insurer.

• Informative
Reactions: [Zombie] and kpdog