Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repair/Parts wait times in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I logged a service call over the weekend to replace the wiper driver mechanism on my 2014 Model S, as the drivers side wiper arm has started to rub against the bonnet above it. Apparently this is a known issue. A mobile service call has been arranged for tomorrow and I have a price for the spare part and labour. As the car is 8 years old soon and the last 12V battery was replaced under warranty I’m getting that replaced at the same time.
No indication so far that any of these parts are a problem to source. 🤞🏽
The old 12V battery was on its way out and was even swelling, yet no dash warning, so I’m really happy I had it replaced. The service tech had two in his car spare.
The wiper issues was not as good. They sent him out with a new wiper arm but fitting that made no difference, they have rescheduled for next Tuesday so hopefully they will have the wiper drive unit by then.

I can join this thread now, after my December delivered M3P with 540km on the clock was t-boned at an intersection 10 minutes after i picked the car up from being wrapped with matte PPF. The car is still driveable as the impact was at low speed and I was not at fault. Both passenger side doors, quarter panel & rear bumper need to be replaced. Rim will be sent to a rim repair shop. Have been advised just getting the panels will take 6 weeks. Then i will have to wait another 6 weeks for the paint to fully cure before re applying PPF.
Initially called Mirage as they came recommended from the shop that did my PPF (Fortified Protections - who did an amazing job by the way), but they were not even able to look at the car until later in the week. Called another shop (Bowra), who didn't pick up the phone so I ended up with J & M smash repairs who were friendly and helpful. Seem to have a good reputation as well.
Next step is, I will have to bring in my car to the smash repairer again to get inspected by my insurance. Not sure why that is necessary, especially since the opposing party is liable but apparently that's normal procedure for my insurance (RAC).

I can join this thread now, after my December delivered M3P with 540km on the clock was t-boned at an intersection 10 minutes after i picked the car up from being wrapped with matte PPF. The car is still driveable as the impact was at low speed and I was not at fault. Both passenger side doors, quarter panel & rear bumper need to be replaced. Rim will be sent to a rim repair shop. Have been advised just getting the panels will take 6 weeks. Then i will have to wait another 6 weeks for the paint to fully cure before re applying PPF.
Initially called Mirage as they came recommended from the shop that did my PPF (Fortified Protections - who did an amazing job by the way), but they were not even able to look at the car until later in the week. Called another shop (Bowra), who didn't pick up the phone so I ended up with J & M smash repairs who were friendly and helpful. Seem to have a good reputation as well.
Next step is, I will have to bring in my car to the smash repairer again to get inspected by my insurance. Not sure why that is necessary, especially since the opposing party is liable but apparently that's normal procedure for my insurance (RAC).
That is so unlucky....at least you are ok from the sounds of it? Did the other person run a red light or something???

Reactions: Hairyman
That is so unlucky....at least you are ok from the sounds of it? Did the other person run a red light or something???
Yes, just panel damage. Uncontrolled intersection with stop and go traffic in my direction. Left a gap as you are supposed to. Car came up to the intersection with the intention to turn right and took the gap as a signal to go even though he couldn’t have because of oncoming traffic. Would have been blocking the interection. Car in front of me moved up, so did I and old mate rolled forward only looking at oncomming traffic, not were he was going and collided with my passenger side. Very unnecessary.

Although you are not at fault, your insurance company may end up paying for the repairs as a number of insurance companies sign “Knock for Knock” agreements, which basically means that regardless of which party is at fault the insurance companies pay for their own clients damages and do not recover from the other client or their insurance company.
The idea being that a lot of money can be spent in litigation and admin costs recovering loss, particularly when responsibility is not clear. The theory is that, given the large number of claims handled by bigger companies, in the long run, the cost of the claims is less than the cost of litigation and additional administrative costs.

Although you are not at fault, your insurance company may end up paying for the repairs as a number of insurance companies sign “Knock for Knock” agreements, which basically means that regardless of which party is at fault the insurance companies pay for their own clients damages and do not recover from the other client or their insurance company.
The idea being that a lot of money can be spent in litigation and admin costs recovering loss, particularly when responsibility is not clear. The theory is that, given the large number of claims handled by bigger companies, in the long run, the cost of the claims is less than the cost of litigation and additional administrative costs.
Thanks for that insight, did not know about this. This is fairly worrying actually, as like @cafz said, our interests are no longer aligned.

Thats really bad luck. Are you absolutely certain there has not been any kind of battery pack impact or internal damage?
No - i only know what the smash repairer said, and the fact that the car still drives like new. I guess any potential structural damage can only really be assessed once the panels get removed. The other car was a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, so it did hit fairly high up. He was only rolling, <5km/h and i was probably doing around 10km/h. My car did detect the impact and popped both windows down, like when you open the door.

Thanks for that insight, did not know about this. This is fairly worrying actually, as like @cafz said, our interests are no longer aligned.

No - i only know what the smash repairer said, and the fact that the car still drives like new. I guess any potential structural damage can only really be assessed once the panels get removed. The other car was a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, so it did hit fairly high up. He was only rolling, <5km/h and i was probably doing around 10km/h. My car did detect the impact and popped both windows down, like when you open the door.
Not wanting to be alarmist, but battery damage could lead to a battery fire. Would be worth having tesla check it.

Have they said anything about a replacement Tesla to drive whilst your car is in the shop? Shannons system didn't allow for anything but the cheapest equivalent replacement rental car (I wasn't at fault), and their advice was to rent an equivalent hybrid out of my own pocket and then try to claim the costs back from the. Our interests, not aligned.
In the end I simply went with what they provided.

Not wanting to be alarmist, but battery damage could lead to a battery fire. Would be worth having tesla check it.
i highly doubt that is going to be an issue as the damage is not that bad. But i'm also not an expert. I did however have a service appointment with Tesla because of slight vibration at highway speeds which i booked before the accident happened and went to after the accident. No one there expressed any safety concern for the damage and they replaced one of the tires on warranty (flat spot from shipping)

Have they said anything about a replacement Tesla to drive whilst your car is in the shop? Shannons system didn't allow for anything but the cheapest equivalent replacement rental car (I wasn't at fault), and their advice was to rent an equivalent hybrid out of my own pocket and then try to claim the costs back from the. Our interests, not aligned.
In the end I simply went with what they provided.
I have not even started that process yet, as my car is still driveable. Got a phone call from the opposing insurance today offering repairs & a rental car. Not sure i did the optimal thing but i already have a not at fault claim with my insurer.
I have a Performance so i would at expect at least a mid size German car as a rental car as value is +100k, but we will see...

Is there any advantage of asking the opposing insurance for a rental car vs. my own or even using a service like right2drive? So many questions ;)

Here is a few pictures of the damage:

IMG_4386.jpg
IMG_4390.jpg
IMG_4389.jpg

As you can see in one of the pictures, the scuff marks just wiped away with my hand. STEK Dynomatt is awesome.

Reactions: Hairyman and paulp
i highly doubt that is going to be an issue as the damage is not that bad. But i'm also not an expert. I did however have a service appointment with Tesla because of slight vibration at highway speeds which i booked before the accident happened and went to after the accident. No one there expressed any safety concern for the damage and they replaced one of the tires on warranty (flat spot from shipping)

I have not even started that process yet, as my car is still driveable. Got a phone call from the opposing insurance today offering repairs & a rental car. Not sure i did the optimal thing but i already have a not at fault claim with my insurer.
I have a Performance so i would at expect at least a mid size German car as a rental car as value is +100k, but we will see...

Is there any advantage of asking the opposing insurance for a rental car vs. my own or even using a service like right2drive? So many questions ;)

Here is a few pictures of the damage:

View attachment 902320 View attachment 902322 View attachment 902321

As you can see in one of the pictures, the scuff marks just wiped away with my hand. STEK Dynomatt is awesome.
Having the insurance from the car that hit you cough up the cash for your repair is absolutely the best way to go...even if you are not at fault your insurance company will jack up your premium when it comes due...they'll claim all sorts of reasons none of which will be that you made a not at fault claim.

You're on a winner if the other party's insurance company has no issue paying out.

Having the insurance from the car that hit you cough up the cash for your repair is absolutely the best way to go...even if you are not at fault your insurance company will jack up your premium when it comes due...they'll claim all sorts of reasons none of which will be that you made a not at fault claim.

You're on a winner if the other party's insurance company has no issue paying out.
Well it's already lodged.. I could probably withdraw but not sure if its worth the hassle especially because i want choice of repairer, and also want my PPF redone at the same place. My insurance has at least verbally confirmed that they will cover it.
I pay my premium yearly and am happy to shop around and insure my car elsewhere (if the increase is substantial). Already had a play with some quotes with a recent not at fault claim.

Well it's already lodged.. I could probably withdraw but not sure if its worth the hassle especially because i want choice of repairer, and also want my PPF redone at the same place. My insurance has at least verbally confirmed that they will cover it.
I pay my premium yearly and am happy to shop around and insure my car elsewhere (if the increase is substantial). Already had a play with some quotes with a recent not at fault claim.
Yes, getting competing quotes on renewal is the best way of checking whether your current insurer is still competitive.

You've got a comprehensive policy with them which means that you've paid for them to take care of you in exactly this scenario when you're not at fault. I hope that it all works out ok for you.

Yes, getting competing quotes on renewal is the best way of checking whether your current insurer is still competitive.

You've got a comprehensive policy with them which means that you've paid for them to take care of you in exactly this scenario when you're not at fault. I hope that it all works out ok for you.
True, good point! Thanks mate, i will keep you guys posted on the repairs.. i just hope that it's going to be as good as factory, as my paint was immaculate.

Already had a play with some quotes with a recent not at fault claim.
How many car accidents are you in?! Hahaha. Must be the red paint attracting idiots....

Also a side note - I have a lawyer mate who used to do a lot of work for insurance companies years back. He told me that 99.9% of the time the insurance companies settle out of court. He would just get together in some meeting room with the other side, have a chat (on the insurance companies coin), hand shake and come to some arrangement. Interesting to hear from Maximillian they don't even bother with mediation now and just pay their own way. Definitely more efficient by the sounds of it!

How many car accidents are you in?! Hahaha. Must be the red paint attracting idiots....

Also a side note - I have a lawyer mate who used to do a lot of work for insurance companies years back. He told me that 99.9% of the time the insurance companies settle out of court. He would just get together in some meeting room with the other side, have a chat (on the insurance companies coin), hand shake and come to some arrangement. Interesting to hear from Maximillian they don't even bother with mediation now and just pay their own way. Definitely more efficient by the sounds of it!
Only this one, i probably expressed myself wrong. i just compared annual pricing at different insurers selecting yes at the section where they ask if you ever had any claims, and comparing those to my current premium. RAC for example only ask you if you ever had any claims regardless of fault, while at Allianz you can select not at fault etc.

Reactions: paulp

To clarify, my wife's hybrid got rear ended. When I asked my insurer to supply me with a hybrid rental car as a replacement, they said that their system wouldn't allow them to book a hybrid, only a run of the mill rental hatchback. They said that if I wanted a hybrid that I could rent one myself and then try to claim the costs back from them, but there was no commitment on their part to reimburse me for the full costs.

End result was that I took the replacement vehicle that they paid for, and had the car repaired (but the smash repairer had to fight them to use Toyota genuine parts).

Just a small update. The parts were finally ordered last week, Tesla does not give a delivery estimate. From the smash repairers experience this takes about 6 weeks. It will take another 4 weeks to complete the repairs, which seems like a long time to me. That being said my main concern is the quality of the work and if that's what it takes that's fine. I will then have to drive around for another 6 weeks with a half matte car as you have to let the paint fully cure for at least 4 to 6 weeks. I believe this is not just to prevent damage if the foil ever gets removed but also the foil lifting due to gasses escaping from the paint. The foil replacement will be covered by the insurance at the same place i got it done at. Overall, I am looking another 4 months.. The next headache will be to get a rental car that is the same class as mine. I would be happy with a base M3/Y or Polestar, but see how we go. Probably something I should attack sooner than later.