Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope you all are enjoying it so far, I will have gopro footage coming soon as well as many photos of the process I went through to drop the battery pack.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way this was my face when I saw what was lurking inside of the battery pack

Oh, now you have me wondering... Was the battery good? Was there sea life inside? Don't keep us in suspense too long...

He probably had to battle a giant octopus for access ;)
Nope. Face would have looked like this it that was the case...:

2422D36C00000578-2878840-Webb_s_locks_are_transformed_into_an_octopus_attacking_him_with_-a-20_1.jpg

..... only after you have collected all the corroded controllers do you get to battle the octopus.

ok, now this was funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Btr_ftw for sharing this with us.

I'm looking forward to see pictures of the inside of the DU and battery pack.

Btw while googling the sunroof motor i found this:
2008 Peugeot 207 SW 1 6 Panoramic Sunroof Roof Motor | eBay

Looks very similar...

That is very interesting actually.

I'm dying to get an air suspension controller, this will make it so that I don't HAVE TO get another car with air suspension.

I believe the air shocks themselves are Mercedes units... perhaps also for the controller... or at least look for the OEM that supplies them? (Otmar might know... I think it's his Stretchla project that ID'd the shocks)

HOW TO: Drop Battery Pack in your home garage with basic tools Method 1

First off lets talk about something that I noticed the other day, when I disassembled my frunk I noticed what seemed like a large indentation in the top of the pack, I didn't think much of it until I had another Tesla owner come by and they immediately said "hmm, thats not normal" so either they bumped the top of the pack when installing or there is some really weird stuff going on inside of the pack.

cGoJ6CO.jpg

mo0FaPx.jpg

Anyway

Jack up the car a foot and remove the center bolts that secure the pack (forget how many there were) also remove the rear shear plates and front metal plate

Jack the rear of the car up and throw some dollies under there.

CpTLan2.jpg

Av9aBzz.jpg

oXVFNEW.jpg

w1utOEN.jpg

Lower car so that the pack sits on top of the dollies (not too much as the car will destroy them)

Undo 8 bolts at each side of pack, they look like this

stEoDgj.jpg

Lift vehicle, slide pack out

JOc5kWy.jpg

how's that for oversimplification?

Video to follow shortly

Just a quick note on safety, I'm not comfortable with where that leg is in the bottom picture. For your own sake, please don't ever let any body part get under the car without jack stands in place, far too much that can go wrong, and this project just isn't worth a debilitating injury, or worse.

Just a quick note on safety, I'm not comfortable with where that leg is in the bottom picture. For your own sake, please don't ever let any body part get under the car without jack stands in place, far too much that can go wrong, and this project just isn't worth a debilitating injury, or worse.

If you look about 2 and 3 pictures before we are using 3 jacks. There is a jack and stand in that same corner near the dollies, there is also a jack that you can't see at the other side of the car.

If you look about 2 and 3 pictures before we are using 3 jacks. There is a jack and stand in that same corner near the dollies, there is also a jack that you can't see at the other side of the car.
In that picture the dollies are far too low to save you, and never trust jacks. The only way I could see for that picture to be safe is if the camera is mounted on the side of a jack stand that I can't see (though I don't think I'd recommend supporting the car from that point anyway) You had stands, and then you removed them, once they were out, you should be too.

I love what you're doing here, I don't want you to get hurt doing it.

In that picture the dollies are far too low to save you, and never trust jacks. The only way I could see for that picture to be safe is if the camera is mounted on the side of a jack stand that I can't see (though I don't think I'd recommend supporting the car from that point anyway) You had stands, and then you removed them, once they were out, you should be too.

I love what you're doing here, I don't want you to get hurt doing it.

Thanks for the concern, I appreciate it

Looks like he'd only lose half a foot or so at most.
the foot was under the battery pack, but I bet most of his body was under the unsupported car. The car without air suspension to keep it even at the low height it normally sits at.
As for jack stands, if they're only at the front, then they only help you near the front. and as for jacks, they don't help you at all in a safety situation.

First off lets talk about something that I noticed the other day, when I disassembled my frunk I noticed what seemed like a large indentation in the top of the pack, I didn't think much of it until I had another Tesla owner come by and they immediately said "hmm, thats not normal" so either they bumped the top of the pack when installing or there is some really weird stuff going on inside of the pack.

It's hard to tell from the picture. Does the pack look like it's dented or does it look like it's being pushed out from the middle? From here it looks like it's actually popped out from the middle above the S in Tesla. Looks almost like when a laptop battery goes bad and bulges out, usually deforming the whole battery pack.