Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE (I'm running out of material)

Found a burrito under the seat of the P85!

ow4qd6L.jpg

Also, previous owner left what I believe are his business cards in the vehicle... I don't have the keys to the car but need them greatly... should I call him? Is that weird?

Reminds me of a funny story about our old Prius. It was totaled in a rear end crash. A woman in a Hummer talking on her cell phone going 45 mph hit my wife who was stopped. Spun the Prius into a ditch and damaged the battery so was totaled. Wife was ok thanks to Toyota's excellent safety design. Anyway about a year later I received a letter with a photo of our grandson. The writer said he found it in the Pruis which he had bought, along with a letter my wife was planning to mail which had our return address. I wrote him back and asked him if he knew that he had purchased a salvage vehicle but never got an answer.

Agreed.

I have disassembled the entire car and man oh man let me tell you. This car could be so much simpler.... That is....assuming so many people didnt NEED so many creature comforts.

The wiring harness could be made to be very basic and about half the controllers could be deleted while keeping a greatly functioning car. Perhaps this is the goal with the model 3?

Here is what I would do to get an entry level model S

Delete rear hatch opener ( frees up controllers , harness wiring and motors )

Standard doors with handles (no fancy dancy auto presentation. Frees up harness wiring, 4 controllers and motors)

Delete pano roof (frees up harness wiring, controller and 2 motors)

Delete air suspension ( frees up harness wiring, air tank up front, tubing and controller)

Standard foglights.

Replace mcu touch screen with standard infotainment system (with buttons)

Replace tails with halogen

Replace gauge cluster with half dials and half screen (as on higher end luxury cars)

Ambient lighting delete

Styling delete

Shorten car 11 inches (removing 2 battery modules)

Here is the Tesla we need without all the creature comforts

New-2012-Toyota-Prius-Carscoop-8.jpg

LOL! Man you've had me cracking up before... but this... this got me the best.

Just about have my parts car (left) stripped back to the frame.
0mQHCss.jpg

Then I cut the driver's side front frame off at the firewall, and send it off with the car to my frame guy.

Note: This is a complicated process with hundreds of parts. Not for the faint of heart. I'm not even sure I can put it back together like it was. (though I'm taking pictures)

Reactions: GSP and kennybobby
UPDATE

I called the previous owner, really nice guy talked for 20mins or so, here is how it went...

ME - Hi, awkward question feel free to hang up on me at any time, but did you or do you know anyone that owns or has owned a Tesla model S at one point

GUY - I did

ME - Was it a white one?

GUY - Yes I totaled it after 6 months

ME - Holy crap, I bought your car, I saw your business cards in it so I figured I'd call you to see if you had the key

GUY - No man I gave up the car with the keys

ME - No biggie, sorry to waste your time, great car, thanks for taking care of it! (kinda)

GUY - I loved that car man, I have (had) a bunch of other cars but this one was my favorite

ME - Nice, I'm a sports car fan myself what cars have you owned

GUY - I had a Z06, GT500, etc. etc.

ME - No way, I have a Z06 too, bought it 4 years ago

GUY - Haha, I sold mine 5 years ago...

ME (GEARS TURNING) - Was it lemans blue?

GUY - Yes, blue with black/grey seats

ME - Did you trade it in at a dealer in GA?

GUY - yes.

ME - dude, I own your old Z06 too!

*laughter*

*laughter*

*laughter*

*laughter*

*laughter*

ME - So no keys huh?

GUY - No

GUY - how much did you get the car for? like 30k? I paid about 70k for it last year

ME - under 16k

GUY (slowly dying) - WHAT????!?!? HOLY HELL

ME - what happened in the accident

GUY - I hit a silverado 2500 truck at about 45mph, totalled the truck, sent his frame rail to the side about 12 inches, I got out of it with a bruise on my shoulder from the seatbelts

ME
- no way, after only owning it for 6 months?? would you get another

GUY - absolutely, putting a deposit on a model 3, I really want a model X in the future as well

ME - Well hey man, thanks for talking to me, glad you are ok and I wish you all the best with your future cars!

GUY - Will do, take care!

UPDATE

I called the previous owner, really nice guy talked for 20mins or so, here is how it went...

ME - Hi, awkward question feel free to hang up on me at any time, but did you or do you know anyone that owns or has owned a Tesla model S at one point

GUY - I did

ME - Was it a white one?

GUY - Yes I totaled it after 6 months

ME - Holy crap, I bought your car, I saw your business cards in it so I figured I'd call you to see if you had the key

GUY - No man I gave up the car with the keys

ME - No biggie, sorry to waste your time, great car, thanks for taking care of it! (kinda)

GUY - I loved that car man, I have (had) a bunch of other cars but this one was my favorite

ME - Nice, I'm a sports car fan myself what cars have you owned

GUY - I had a Z06, GT500, etc. etc.

ME - No way, I have a Z06 too, bought it 4 years ago

GUY - Haha, I sold mine 5 years ago...

ME (GEARS TURNING) - Was it lemans blue?

GUY - Yes, blue with black/grey seats

ME - Did you trade it in at a dealer in GA?

GUY - yes.

ME - dude, I own your old Z06 too!

*laughter*

*laughter*

*laughter*

*laughter*

*laughter*

ME - So no keys huh?

GUY - No

GUY - how much did you get the car for? like 30k? I paid about 70k for it last year

ME - under 16k

GUY (slowly dying) - WHAT????!?!? HOLY HELL

ME - what happened in the accident

GUY - I hit a silverado 2500 truck at about 45mph, totalled the truck, sent his frame rail to the side about 12 inches, I got out of it with a bruise on my shoulder from the seatbelts

ME
- no way, after only owning it for 6 months?? would you get another

GUY - absolutely, putting a deposit on a model 3, I really want a model X in the future as well

ME - Well hey man, thanks for talking to me, glad you are ok and I wish you all the best with your future cars!

GUY - Will do, take care!
You totally forgot about the burrito!