Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
12c.jpg

Reactions: SmartElectric
Yea, my car always sounds like a jet engine if its Supercharging but if you didn't drive much to get the SC, it might not be as loud. Also, SC charging status on the nav map just came back on (it was taken away in August for some reason).

Finally, the max charging for a 400V pack is 120kw, the max for a 350V pack (not yours) is 105kw. The SC themselves can do 145kw (but no car is authorized to draw that much).

The pairing of stalls is a bit different than urinals because 1A/2A could be right next to each other. Avoid the B stall pair if A is occupied. Tesla has random/inconsistent stall placement at superchargers so there is no one single guide. You must seek an unpaired stall or find a car that is mostly done charging. The first car get priority (90kw), second car gets remainder (generally 45kw). As the first car tapers, the second car will get more and more (generally flips). Eventually the first car leaves and the second card becomes the senior charger and a subsequent car will get the leftovers like the second car was getting before its "promotion." Its actually not complicated at all and quite an elegant solution.

Hey Rich, you cheeky so and so, any indications from D' Lorz logs why there was no battery conditioning (cooling) attempted?

Congrats on the SuperCharging capability!!

I thought for sure you had gotten either wk57 or Ingineer from this board to wave their respective magic wands and enable supercharging for you long before you ever tried to supercharge, but I guess from the video you did not. I am not too concerned about the lack of crazy air cooling on this -- your 1st -- supercharging session. mostly b/c you started with roughly 95 miles of rated range. if you were closer to 0 rated range and the Supercharger was pumping 114 kW into your battery pack (the max kW I have ever seen when SCing my 2015 S85D) I might be a little concerned, but you started with IIRC 67 kW and tapered from there. so I think you are good as perhaps cooling is not necessary at that level.

also.. how often -- if ever -- are you really intending to supercharge? not too often would be my guess... then again.. one never knows with the Model S.. you see it all the time in this forum.. guys using their Model S for a job that only a pickup truck would do, so you may be SCing more often than you think.

finally.. I note that you have been charging Dolores at home from a 120 V outlet. There is a bit of a disagreement on this forum on whether 120 V or 240 V is better in terms of battery longevity -- those who favor 240 V arguing that 240 V will activate the battery cooling mechanism (while 120 V typically won't) and is therefore gentler on the battery. In my view, 120 V charging is the best for battery longevity, but is maddeningly slow for practical use so I refuse to do it unless I have no other option.

when you do bring a second Model S back to life for your own use (and it is a question of when and not of if) you should consider installing a 240 V line to charge your growing fleet of BEVs with ease.

Congrats again.. Dolores is a masterpiece.

Reactions: boaterva

I thought for sure you had gotten either wk57 or Ingineer from this board to wave their respective magic wands and enable supercharging for you long before you ever tried to supercharge, but I guess from the video you did not. I am not too concerned about the lack of crazy air cooling on this -- your 1st -- supercharging session. mostly b/c you started with roughly 95 miles of rated range. if you were closer to 0 rated range and the Supercharger was pumping 114 kW into your battery pack (the max kW I have ever seen when SCing my 2015 S85D) I might be a little concerned, but you started with IIRC 67 kW and tapered from there. so I think you are good as perhaps cooling is not necessary at that level.

Definitely started at 90+kw and then tapered after 5 minutes. I think some cooling should've started but if he didn't drive much to the SC, the pack might not have warmed up.

Excellent video, as always. Is that table Zac was talking about for the SuC stall interaction (I've seen it somewhere) complete hokum today and it's just the A and B interaction or is there really some deal between all of them (which makes no sense based on how things are set up in pairs)?

Excellent video, as always. Is that table Zac was talking about for the SuC stall interaction (I've seen it somewhere) complete hokum today and it's just the A and B interaction or is there really some deal between all of them (which makes no sense based on how things are set up in pairs)?
The A/B pairing is all I've ever seen reported. And I've examined the conduit layouts, and there only pairs of pedestals with common runs back to a single cabinet.

He may have been a bit confused because the site layouts aren't consistent. In some cases the paired stalls are adjacent:

1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B 4A 4B

And at some sites they are sequential series:

1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B

As I think every site has labelling now, I think he would have been safe just saying: "Try not to use a stall that has the same base number as a stall already in use."

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
The A/B pairing is all I've ever seen reported. And I've examined the conduit layouts, and there only pairs of pedestals with common runs back to a single cabinet.

He may have been a bit confused because the site layouts aren't consistent. In some cases the paired stalls are adjacent:

1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B 4A 4B

And at some sites they are sequential series:

1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B

As I think every site has labelling now, I think he would have been safe just saying: "Try not to use a stall that has the same base number as a stall already in use."
Exactly, thanks!

also.. how often -- if ever -- are you really intending to supercharge? not too often would be my guess... then again.. one never knows with the Model S.. you see it all the time in this forum.. guys using their Model S for a job that only a pickup truck would do, so you may be SCing more often than you think.

finally.. I note that you have been charging Dolores at home from a 120 V outlet. There is a bit of a disagreement on this forum on whether 120 V or 240 V is better in terms of battery longevity -- those who favor 240 V arguing that 240 V will activate the battery cooling mechanism (while 120 V typically won't) and is therefore gentler on the battery. In my view, 120 V charging is the best for battery longevity, but is maddeningly slow for practical use so I refuse to do it unless I have no other option.

when you do bring a second Model S back to life for your own use (and it is a question of when and not of if) you should consider installing a 240 V line to charge your growing fleet of BEVs with ease.

Congrats again.. Dolores is a masterpiece.

ingineer has has waved his magic wand all over the car, you'll find out more in repairing a flooded model S episode 6

when I charge using 120V I usually hear the coolant pumps running as evidenced in my fire salvage video

thanks for the kudos!