Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok folks here is the update. I ordered Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive in 255/50/R19 and they fit ! Measured repeatedly and notes that say 29.25" to the suspension knuckle are likely correct. From stock Continental tires on 19" Gemini wheels there is about .75 clearance above. With Goodyears on it looks like about .20-2.5 clearance. Also at full turn it clears on back of front tires to wheel well plastic.

Tread depth change from 9 to 11 also helps it look more "off-road aggressive", so I am pleased given I think this is the max option that fits without changing to a skinnier tire. Not as aggresive as the Falkens, but didn't want to sacrifice any width. Tires with a more "square shoulder" A/T may not fit. But these "car tires" are slightly bigger and have an acceptable look. I told them to update their computers (Discount).

TLDR: Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive 255/50/R19 fits without issue on Model Y LR with stock Gemini wheels.
How about the wheel protrusion beyond the edge of the tire? s it worse than OEM?

How about the wheel protrusion beyond the edge of the tire? s it worse than OEM?
are you referring to width ? Both 255 (Continental Stock) and Goodyear are 255 tires. Both 10" tires. Should be no change, and IF there is more protrusion I would be in favor of that in my view BETTER (more protection from curb rash on wheels). But it should be same. Both 255, both 10" wide.

Ok folks here is the update. I ordered Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive in 255/50/R19 and they fit ! Measured repeatedly and notes that say 29.25" to the suspension knuckle are likely correct. From stock Continental tires on 19" Gemini wheels there is about .75 clearance above. With Goodyears on it looks like about .20-2.5 clearance. Also at full turn it clears on back of front tires to wheel well plastic.

Tread depth change from 9 to 11 also helps it look more "off-road aggressive", so I am pleased given I think this is the max option that fits without changing to a skinnier tire. Not as aggresive as the Falkens, but didn't want to sacrifice any width. Tires with a more "square shoulder" A/T may not fit. But these "car tires" are slightly bigger and have an acceptable look. I told them to update their computers (Discount).

TLDR: Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive 255/50/R19 fits without issue on Model Y LR with stock Gemini wheels.
Thank you. Do these Goodyears improve the ride over the OEM tires?

Just an FYI, today I got a nail in a tire and decided to call Tesla road side assistance to see if they would come do the tire repair. To my surprise, they wouldn’t because my tire size isn’t the “right” size. Is this common for other automakers?

Just an FYI, today I got a nail in a tire and decided to call Tesla road side assistance to see if they would come do the tire repair. To my surprise, they wouldn’t because my tire size isn’t the “right” size. Is this common for other automakers?
Yes. Noboy's going to guess your non-factory tire size especially for mobile service. Also, they can't store all possible non factory sizes either.
Liability and so forth play a role too.

How are the tires holding up? Any issues? IS the ride comfort better?

Reactions: Pianewman
After roughly 17,000 miles on each set of tires we are seeing a 6% hit to efficiency from the Pirelli P7 AS+ 3 compared to the OEM tire. Both sets were put on in August of 2022 and 2021, respectively, so very similar seasons, weather, and commutes.

8/8/2021, took delivery of Model Y with OEM Continental ProContact RX. By 6/1/2022, we drove 17,016 miles and averaged 252 Wh/m.

8/13/2022, replaced tires at 21,666 with Pirelli P7 AS+ 3. As of 5/20/2023, we drove 17,048 miles on this set and averaged 267 Wh/m.

The Pirellis do seem to be wearing/lasting better. I rotate tires every 6K miles and by the second rotation had the following tread depth left:

OEM tire: F 7/32nd, R 5/32nd
Pirelli: F 8/32nd, R 7/32nd

Last edited:
Reactions: baguette
After roughly 17,000 miles on each set of tires we are seeing a 6% hit to efficiency from the Pirelli P7 AS+ 3 compared to the OEM tire. Both sets were put on in August of 2022 and 2021, respectively, so very similar seasons, weather, and commutes.

8/8/2021, took delivery of Model Y with OEM Continental ProContact RX. By 6/1/2022, we drove 17,016 miles and averaged 252 Wh/m.

8/13/2022, replaced tires at 21,666 with Pirelli P7 AS+ 3. As of 5/20/2023, we drove 17,048 miles on this set and averaged 267 Wh/m.

The Pirellis do seem to be wearing/lasting better. I rotate tires every 6K miles and by the second rotation had the following tread depth left:

OEM tire: F 7/32nd, R 5/32nd
Pirelli: F 8/32nd, R 7/32nd
Still planning on replacing them with something else next time? Or are they growing on you?

Still planning on replacing them with something else next time? Or are they growing on you?
Still planning to try the DWS06+ next.

I've reported the P7s are better across the board than the OEM tires, but the extra miles did reveal some odd behavior during cold weather. The P7s ride well in warm weather but are noticeably stiffer than the OEM rubber during cold season. The OEM ride comfort is more consistent throughout the year and is preferable to the P7's finicky temperature-dependent ride character.

Reactions: MattM24 and EV Car
Been driving
Conti DSW
Vredstein Quattrac Pro
Micheline X-Ice
OEM Conti RX, and Michelin 20" on Induction

Highly recommend to stick to stock size (not sure what anyone is trying to optimize for) and really like the X-Ice for winter, and Quattracs for summer/all season. Tires make a difference on the margin for sure, but don't expect it to fix the horrid MY ride.

Reactions: jetsurgn
Been driving
Conti DSW
Vredstein Quattrac Pro
Micheline X-Ice
OEM Conti RX, and Michelin 20" on Induction

Highly recommend to stick to stock size (not sure what anyone is trying to optimize for) and really like the X-Ice for winter, and Quattracs for summer/all season. Tires make a difference on the margin for sure, but don't expect it to fix the horrid MY ride.
Good write up. I have 18” winter tires that ride worse than the factory 19” tires, so I get that. They do round out sharp impacts better, but at the expense of everything else.

I’m hoping the Koni special active shocks will be the ticket for comfort.

Accidentally posted it and no way to edit. I previously reported that my new DWS06+ tires have reduced the range by 10%. The America’s Tire shop that changed my tires don’t do wheel alignment on Teslas, so I had my wheels aligned at Firestone last week, for the first time after 24k miles. The adjustment seemed small from the before and after alignment report but the efficiency improvement is very noticeable, I gained back at least 5%. Maybe even more. Not really at the level of the pretty worn OEM tires but really close to when I got the car. Makes me think that my car was not well aligned from the factory.

If the Firestone near you know how and welling to work on Teslas, their lifetime alignment seems worth it.

Larger tires won't fix the bad ride, but they help some. Aftermarket suspension can improve the ride. Mainly, a larger tire gets a bit of lift, which is good with the car so darned low to the ground.

Reactions: DrGriz
I'm looking for 'off road/rugged' looking tires for my stock 19" (255/45R-19" wheels. The rugged looks is for show only, as I'm quite bored of how bland the OEM tires look. I'm in Norcal and don't really get snow here, except when we go up to Lake Tahoe or something. Any recommendations?